Tennessee Chapter Join Chapter Leader: harleymsn

Bedouin Nomad saying

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 06:49 AM
joadmobile
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bedouin Nomad saying

Theo, I have been thinking about something. A few days ago someone on another board asked you why you can't just trust God and accept whatever your fate may be, instead of planning a series of hidey holes in remote locations. There is an old Bedouin Nomad saying of which I am fond - "Trust God, but tie up your camel."

This is also a bit like that joke about the Christian in the flood, who trusts God to save him from the rising waters. Have you heard it?

Old 12-03-2003, 06:02 PM
theologian
Postmaster
I have many ideas about such things, some as old as the Faith itself. To trust God in everything is a good thing, but to trust him to keep you healthy, with no effort yourself is not only foolish, but also against the principle teachings. So many modern Churches do this, it is a shame. I serve my Lord.. He taught me to look after myself, and others, so therefore I do. I trust in doing just that.. If I sit around and wait until God does a miracle, I would soon be dead. But, there is no telling some folk.

There are a lot of jokes about the subject, feel free to post any you know here.

Theo

Old 12-07-2003, 03:15 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
~ And then of course there is also:

"Never leave a Champaigne bottle with a loosened cork unattended"
(especially next to your keyboard, but I digress...)

Old 12-07-2003, 05:29 PM
theologian
Postmaster
Never, but never keep a champagne bottle, with the wire loosed, in the back seat of the jeep you are driving through the desert in.. I got shot in the back of the head, right where the hollow is, by a cork released by the rusted through wires attaching it to the bottle.. I near cracked my skull on the roll bar, my rifle landed in my crotch when I fell back into the seat, and the jeep, now totally un tended, left the road, and started careening down an embankment, that I was totally oblivious to.. The jeep hit a rock, bouncing me straight through the canvas roof, this time missing the roll bar, and I landed, half on, and half off the back of the jeep, which was by now enjoying itself, and travelling at some 60 mph.. Without anyone in the driving seat. My rifle, which had been accompanying me on the entire adventure, decided that now was the perfect time to trip the bolt, and the safety seer jammed open...... I had a 40 round magazine attached, and it emptied the entire thing in 3 seconds flat... by which time I was totally deaf, with a very painful shoulder, because the darned rifle was still attached to me.. but looooose. I think the rifle broke my collar bone, but it was not until the jeep ran out of ground that the injuries really started to mount up.. As it fell over the cliff, my leg, which was stuck in the back, decided to cease being a leg, and start being a piece of wet rag, and broke in three places. This made me howl like a banshee, and grab for my leg, which at that time decided to dislodge itself from the jeep, which probably saved my sorry little butt. By this time, I was airborne, with a jeep falling a little faster than I was, and my rifle falling a little slower. I was thrashing arms and leg around, wondering what I could possible do, smashed to bits on the bottom of a cliff, when my rifle sling, still attached to the rifle, and me, decided that now was a good time to catch on a rather sharp rock protruding out of the lessening steepness of the cliff. This dislocated my right shoulder, and broke my wrist.... Slamming into the rock itself probably was responsible for breaking my jaw, but that may already have happened...

I ground to a stop, some 60 feet from the bottom of the still rather steep cliff, and the jeep smashed into the canyon floor, and promptly exploded. This was when I got scorched, and lost the fur from the left side of my face..... It still wont grow right.

Had it not have been for the attention of a rece pilot, who witnessed the whole farce, I would have been in a bit of trouble. As it was, he flew over, and hovered, whilst I, with jaw hanging down, and arm not working, and leg not working, shinned up the rope he so kindly threw out of the very small helicopter. I cannot remember much of the flight, or the stay in hospital, but I do remember that I DO NOT LIKE champagne, any more.

Theo