need more power again and again

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 10:44 PM
83Van
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pointless to get a custom crank for a 300. As someone mentioned, the 300 is already a stroker version of the 240. Both have a 4.00" bore, the 240 cranks 3.18", the 300 3.98". If you upped the stroke any more you'd wind up with an "oversquared" ratio [stroke longer than bore diameter] and have some serious problems with the crank angles, further limiting upper RPM ability and durability. In addition to the crank you'd need custom rods and a serious amount of head work to get sufficient flow. 300 cubes is already a lot of air to stuff thru just 6 valves each way.

Old 08-01-2004, 12:42 PM
MontanaFord
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i've got an 84 f-150 4x4 300-6 T-18 4 spd 3.55 gears...i'm planning to build another 300 with some mods, as well as some individual mods to the truck itself...

the mods i know i'll add as affordable are as follows:

holley 390 4bbl
EFI manifolds
MSD Duraspark II ignition system
ZF 5 spd transmission
9" Rear end with 3.73 gears (possibly 4.10 gears)

the mods i want, but don't know enough about are as follows:

exhaust
---i'm thinking dual 2 1/4" pipes from the manifolds through either dual Flowmaster 40 series or dual glasspacks
---with the glasspacks, i think i'll go with 24" packs, as i currently have a single 30" pack w/ 2 1/4" pipe, and i want a bit louder....my ? is will the 24" packs give me more rumble at idle and accelleration?

cam
---i don't know how various cam durations will affect various aspects of engine performance...if somebody could explain how the cam duration affects horsepower and torque, it would be much appreciated

valvetrain
---i don't know what all is available for options in this area...i read Broncr's posting on chevy parts for the 300-6
---"The head, likewise, can be modified. Port, polish, mate, bigger valves (small block chevy valves - 1.94 intakes & 1.60 exhaust valves can be installed). 7/16" Screw in rocker studs can allow higher ratio (big block chevy 1.75) rockers. Again - no difference here - you can treat it like ANY performance head."
---my question on this is, how would these modifications affect performance, fuel, etc.???

any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated...thank you...

MontanaFord

Old 08-26-2004, 07:04 AM
ken phelps
New User
have a look at www.cliffordperformance.com this guy seems to have a few answers.

incorporate a search engine that will take you to the threads that the require

Old 09-06-2004, 10:02 PM
blumpy
Freshman User
that would be cool I myself work part time at the bone yard where I found 1980 f 100 and when every thing was under water it was fun had to weld new floor of bed it is my first i6 it has four speed it is fun going to learn body work from some friends but know engines this is my first ford truck and for a single carb it move's of course it ticks learned alot about it on this site

Old 09-23-2004, 05:31 AM
Percy
Senior User
Little question for the performance gurus. I am do to get my 82 F150 back from the mechanic in the next day or so. He was suffering some issues with intermittent hesitation until I put a new EGR on it, then there was the power valve issue on the carter/motorcraft 1 bbl. I talked to a mechanic friend of mine, and another mechanic and have decided (after hearing a sound file of another enthusiasts heavily modded inline 6) that I can't live without headers, a new intake and at least a 2 bbl. So, what 2 bbl. do I get for my soon to be Clifford 2 bbl. intake? I have seen about 6 configurations ranging from Holley Avengers, and Edlebrock's to a Keith Dorton series 2 bbl. What are you guys using, what do you recommend? My new engine has about 25,000 on it and I want performance, but I want it to run forever just like the one we took out.

Old 10-01-2004, 12:32 AM
ke5adb
Mountain Pass
240 I-6

Have had a few 300s in the the past, Just got this 240, have slowly been gettin it put in the truck. I know somebody will try to burn me for it, but the pickup is a 74 dodge w100. It had a 360 with a 727 auto in it. Acquired a 240 with a 3 speed for free out of a 74 van. Got the motor and tranny sittin it the pickup. Just got little stuff to finish up with before I have it going. Still got to do: Wire it all up, hook up exhaust (which is 2.5" into a 31" glasspack to front of bed then straight up into a 4" stack), radiator, new starter, need to have a driveline made, then just minor stuff. I have been reading the forums on here for about a month now. Any help or suggestions are welcome.

Old 10-01-2004, 12:36 AM
ke5adb
Mountain Pass
forgot something, anybody have any good luck with the mr. gasket #7667 floor shifter for a 3 speed?

Old 10-09-2004, 01:41 AM
Thudpucker
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, Here's the answer to more power for your Six.
You take my 460/C-6 and give me your 300/AOD or C-6.(I prefer an AOD)
We can do this with both trucks side by side, so we have both of them running when we are finished. We'll swap everything that it takes to do the job.
PM me.

Old 10-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Percy
Senior User
You know, I would almost go for that if gas wasn't $2.25 a gallon. I think I'll keep my 300, thanks. I love the low-end. I think maybe Ford should have painted the block John Deere green though....

Old 10-21-2004, 03:11 AM
jojo41
Freshman User
1990 300 I6 EFI Exhaust modification

Read a lot about this in the forum. Want to get me a Flowmaster 40 muffler and none or a hi-flow cat. Single pipe in 2 1/2", right side out. Parts and information for Ford trucks are not that easy to get here in Germany.....
One question: there is a little approx. 5/8" steel pipe connected to the exhaust assembly right after the first 2-in/1-out cat. As I want to cut the cat off at the two incoming pipes and use an "Y-piece" to go further, I am asking what to do with the 5/8" pipe, resp. where to connect it in the "new assembly"? Will it make any difference in performance, whether I get out before the right rear wheel or behind it? Or is it best to go over the rear axle and as straight as possible out to the rear?
Sorry, a lot of questions....

Thanks for your help!
JoJo

Old 12-09-2004, 10:59 AM
Gerry Lutz Jr.
Senior User
Originally Posted by northernfordman
I am new to this site,and am about to do a complete rebuild on a 300 six. I want more power is there a book on what i need to do?I find lots of rebuild books on V-8's, but none on I-6's. Somebody mentioned pistons out of a 460(?) any ideas would be greatly appreciated
hi i have a straight 6 to and just wanted some bolt ons for mine but anywayz i found a site called cliffordperformance.com they have full rebuild kits for the u can get the carb'd up to about 300 ft lb torque and 220 hp with there stuff but to me it seems a lil pricey... anywayz thatll help

Old 12-09-2004, 11:10 AM
Cliffdog
Freshman User
I Guess It Jus Depends On Ones Funds..power Is Easy To Get..i Know Im A New Ford Convert..but It Cant Be Much Different That Wicken A Chev..intake/exhaust..cam..rocker Arm Ratio..mill The Head Fer Increased Compression..for Fi's Bigger Injectors..bore It..stroke It..etc..the Power Is There To Be Had..its Easy To Gain..its Jus Not Easy To Pay For..all Mods Need To Be Researched..and Work Together

Thats Jus My Lil Ole Opinoin

Old 12-09-2004, 07:40 PM
Percy
Senior User
The biggest thing you have to be careful of, is that if you have to have your vehicle smogged, the clifford stuff won't work for you. If you want an intake and exhaust that will work for your 6, I have one I would sell you - CHEAP. I bought an intake, exhaust, a 500 cfm carb, K&N Air cleaner, had an estimate on the exhaust system with duals and flowmasters. Called my mechanic about an appointment for a smog check and found that he couldn't touch it with all my bolt on's because he could lose his smog license.

I returned most of it, but I bought the intake on-line with the split exhaust off a fuel injected model. So if you want some really badass parts and you don't want to pay what they are asking on the site, hit me up. I will take care of you for $300. I have the intake, the exhaust and the 4bbl. adapter plate. Let me know.

Old 12-09-2004, 11:08 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,626 Likes on 1,326 Posts
Yea, I've posted this before & I'll post it again. If you want modest power increases from your '87 and up EFI 300 six, you are pretty much out of luck. Ford did the easy stuff. As for Clifford, as far as I got on the phone with them is "our Ford stuff is NOT CARB approved", so no-go in smog check crazy California.

Maybe a better airfilter set up, maybe a better muffler, and that is about it.

If you have the wrong gearing or tranny, focus on that. A Gear Vendor OD on a C6 would give you a 6 speed split almost perfectly for the 300. Got 4.56's and want to go more than 52MPH? Got 2.77's and can't pull? Change your diff gears.

There is plenty here about good mods, but if you are on a budget and have to meet smog, save your $10's & $20's & plan for your next trade up.

Old 12-09-2004, 11:28 PM
Percy
Senior User
I here that, I spent almost a grand and was all set to put on performance parts, but Nevada is taking a lesson from California, by estimate only, I was set to almost double my HP, but...

Now I am starting a bank account to save for the 2005 Stang GT. 29K to go. I'll get 300 horses one way or another... And I'll keep my gas hawg truck, with my 25,000 mile 4.9l 300 for towing trailers and dragging trees out of the ground.

Quick Reply: need more power again and again