Modular V10 (6.8l)  

lots of smoke

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 08:51 PM
barebonesV10
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lots of smoke

When I started my V10 the other day after about a week of sitting(Vacation..otherwise I can't seem to let it sit that long.) it was a cooler morning here in Georgia (about 35F) it put up a smokescreen. I am due for an oil change but I've only had it about 3 months and has 16k on it and it hasn't used any oil. Question is should I worry or is that normal sometimes? Doesn't do it any other time that I have seen in warm or cold just after that week long sitting period. I do realize they smoke in cold a bit because I lived in Ohio for 20 yrs. but it was different it didnt smell like normal excess fuel not being burned cuz engine being cold. Anyway anyone else have this or have any suggestions or is it fine.

thanks

2003 F350 XL 4x4 CC LB

Old 11-30-2003, 08:54 PM
4x4x4x4
Posting Guru
If it isn't normal condensation emitted from a cold engine,then keep an eye on the coolant level.

Old 12-01-2003, 07:25 AM
jaxf250
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Doesn't sound right. My 2001 used to sit in an airport parking garage for a week at a time when I travelled, and it never smoked on startup.

I'd keep an eye on it real close.....

Old 12-10-2003, 12:13 AM
Shepard
Elder User
This has been discussed a lot here. If you search for "puff of blue smoke", you may find the threads.

Old 12-10-2003, 11:46 AM
ken04
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: lots of smoke

Originally posted by barebonesV10
When I started my V10 the other day after about a week of sitting(Vacation..otherwise I can't seem to let it sit that long.) it was a cooler morning here in Georgia (about 35F) it put up a smokescreen. I am due for an oil change but I've only had it about 3 months and has 16k on it and it hasn't used any oil. Question is should I worry or is that normal sometimes? Doesn't do it any other time that I have seen in warm or cold just after that week long sitting period. I do realize they smoke in cold a bit because I lived in Ohio for 20 yrs. but it was different it didnt smell like normal excess fuel not being burned cuz engine being cold. Anyway anyone else have this or have any suggestions or is it fine.

thanks

2003 F350 XL 4x4 CC LB
What kind of oil filter do you have ? The Fram orange filters are notorious for cheap, shoddy construction and the biggest complaint has been the inadequate anti-syphon/drainback valve. I do not know for certain that this could allow oil back into the engine and not hold it in the filter like it's supposed to and thereby let oil pool somewhere that could be burnt up during a start up after a long period of inactivity, but it sounds possible. If your filter is orange, CHANGE IT QUICK !! Even if this isn't the problem you'll want a MotorCraft oil filter on there, just for piece of mind.

Check this website out, it's very informative;

http://minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Old 12-10-2003, 12:36 PM
Shepard
Elder User
Found one of the threads I mentioned above. There are other threads also, but this one should help.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...2B%25252Bsmoke