Sponsored by:

Throttle body coolant line?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 06:26 PM
bronco351
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Throttle body coolant line?

Hi guys. Today while I was under the hood, I noticed that there is a coolant line running from the radiator to the throttle body. I suppose it's there to help the truck warm up faster in the cold winter. Since I live in AZ I see no need for this.

As we all know cool air increases horsepower. I was wondering if it is ok to cap off both ends of that coolant line. I would like to know if I do this will it effect emissions or the computer. Someone else here must have done this cheap mod.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Old 11-30-2003, 06:35 PM
iskybantilus
Elder User
I imagine that would be a pretty silly thing to have on an arizona truck. I have often wondered about it on my truck, but the winters get cold enough here in jersey, and being a baby sometimes i will take anything to get heat a second or two earlier .. hehe. I dont imagine you should have any problems leaving that bypassed. I am sure we will hear a few more opinions though.

Old 11-30-2003, 07:14 PM
bronco cam
Senior User
Yes it does free up a few ponies. Try the search feature and you will find a huge post on this subject.

Old 11-30-2003, 07:56 PM
JBronco
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes. A huge thread. The consensus was that taking it off would give extra HP. But I want it on there for quick warmups in Colorado winters. I'm not gonna take it on and off for the seasons, so it stays. I actually paid about $50 for a new one, I wanted to change ALL of my coolant hoses. I didn't buy my Bronc to go fast and prefer to keep everything the way it was engineered. For better or worse...

Old 11-30-2003, 11:10 PM
AYoungblood
Elder User
Well even with it off it will still warm up, just a tad bit slower.

The EGR throw HOT gases right next to the TB, so once the engine warms up (All exhaust and bottom end of engine) the EGR will start to throw how gases so it'll heat up in time.

I have mine plugged and im in MI, no probs and it's been about 10-15 a few morning here.