Ohio Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: RUNVS

truck buying opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 11:24 AM
Stanstruck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck buying opinions

I'm looking at buying a pickup (I have an '85 Bronco II) and I was hoping for some input on these trucks I'm considering:

1968 F100 -360 3-speed. new clutch, radiator. rust in the floor of the bed, but not on the sides. hole in the seat and has a sunroof type thing overhead (that leaks). rust not too bad on the cab or fenders. $600

1979 F150 -302 auto. from the cab forward it's all in primer and missing the F150 side markers/lights. has a stepside bed (I think that's what it's called) and while the sides are good, the bed is, for the most part, gone. (I can see the gas tank, exhaust-two cherry bombs and the suspension). $800

1981 F150 -300 4-speed. all there with some rust around the rear wheel openings and the cab corners. it has a shell that has apparently protected the floor of the bed pretty well. $700

I haven't started or driven any of these, but they all are, supposedly, good runners with a lot of miles. I would use the truck for some light hauling and some towing (small cars).

To me it seems like '81 would be the best buy, but the others have their own appeal too. I guess I'm like a kid in a candy store...

thanks for your input.

Stan

Old 12-02-2003, 07:24 AM
Bruin52
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I'd do a little more research on that '79. Sounds like it could be a "Free-Wheelin' Package" truck. Not a lot of those around anymore. Does it have the original interior, if so what does it look like, that would be the best way to tell if the bed's torn up or painted.

Old 12-03-2003, 08:16 AM
Stanstruck
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the opinion Ric. Did those have the wagon wheels with the brown/orange combo? What was the difference inside?

Stan

Old 12-05-2003, 07:19 AM
Bruin52
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the wagon wheels were only in white, they did have a brown/orange combo paint scheme along with some others depending on body style. The interiors were in a silver and black I think. It is something that really goes against the body paint. You would know if it was different as soon as you seen it. I think that the paint on the flaresides were mostly solid with pinstripes running around the fenders and doors is some weird manner. I've got a picture of one in my '79 sales brochure but it's at the house. I'll email you solid info and maybe post a pic here in this thread if I can find one, maybe Mil1ion has one?