reciever hitch for the front

Old 11-30-2003, 03:03 AM
bob the viking
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reciever hitch for the front

Hey Gang.....

I was wondering if any of the hitch manufacturers made a reciever hitch for the front of a '91 F-250 4x4. I'd like to use it to attach a removeable hook for a tow strap to extract the wife's Crown Vic when she eneviatably puts it in a ditch the winter. Thanx for the assistance (again). Later BTV

Old 11-30-2003, 07:26 AM
CLPF350
Senior User
Bob:

I don't know if anyone manufactures such a hitch. I have one on the shelf in my shop that I had built for my '92 F250. If you're interested in it I'll dig it out to be sure it is all there and see how heavy it is. I used it to move an 18 foot boat in and out of the local lakes so I didn't have a traction problem on the launch ramps. I found that I couldn't see around the boat so it got very little use. I sold the '92 in '99 when I traded trucks. It's easier to start from scratch than to redo that one. Drop me an an email fore I start diggin it out.

CLPF350

Old 12-04-2003, 08:20 AM
m14dan
Senior User
I have a winch bumper on mine and just welded a receiver hitch on from walmart. I love the thing. It makes life so much easier getting trailers up in the barn or around corners or up and down long boat ramps. I don't know how I did without it for so long. I haven't seen anything you could mount to a stock bumper but if you do what I did you will have the best of both worlds. A winch and a receiver.

Old 12-04-2003, 07:39 PM
bob the viking
Junior User
m14dan.....

That's a good plan. I guess I'll try to fab something up. I've got what's left from a reciever hitch in the garage I can try to adapt into something useable. Thanx Bob

Old 12-04-2003, 08:17 PM
m14dan
Senior User
You should have a couple holes on the bottom of the frame rails up front. You could bolt a piece of 3 inch angle iron across then weld a receiver to it and cut a hole in your bumper to plug in the hitch. I have been trying to think up a way to do it on the rear of my wifes buick. It has a 455 high performance in it. Air ride too. I wonder if it would hold a 5th wheel in the trunk? No sence not taking advantage of all them horses.

Old 12-05-2003, 07:11 PM
bob the viking
Junior User
m14dan.....

Yeah, I'd planned to incorporate the 4 holes in the front of the frame rails in the mounting process of "the creation". I saw the holes and was wondering if you knew how big they are? If they aren't big enough for a stout bolt, I'll have to have something that runs along the vertical of the frame rails, right? This thing has to be rugged enough to be able to yank a 96 Crown Vic out of a ditch in wintry conditions.

Is that the limited edition 3/4 ton Buick?

Thanx for the help! Later Bob

Old 12-05-2003, 09:00 PM
m14dan
Senior User
My winch bumper is bolted to those holes and also 2 more on the side of each frame rail, The ones your stock bumper is bolted too. I once hooked a chain to a hook on my bumper and pulled a bobtailed Big kenworth off a tree that fell across the road in an ise storm. BIG TREE. I have no idea why he tried to go over it but he did. I dragged him and the tree in low range till he finaly started getting some traction and finaly climbed off it. You should have seen al the chevy truck owners , including two that tried it chained together, laughing at me for even trying untill I did it. They all shut their mouths then and went home. I never told them I had 4.10 gears and detroit lockers. That helps a little on icy roads. As long as you don' t need to turn that is.

Old 12-09-2003, 04:27 PM
Colossus
Posting Guru
Have a weld shop custom make one for your truck. I find that more, heavier, cold-rolled, welded steel is better than any store-bought made in China bolt on.

Old 12-11-2003, 02:47 PM
BlackWidowMotorSports
Freshman User
I know SuperWinch has a receiver kit to mount to one of these for their winches. Maybe they have this or know where to find one.

Old 12-12-2003, 05:02 PM
swampo
Senior User
this is my plan too think of all the endless possabilities you will create by putting a reciever on the front.
I havent got this far yet but when I do I think ill buy a winch and then make a reciever outlet for it so you can plug it into the front reciever and then when your done you can put it back in your toolbox so knowone jacks it.
I was thinkin you could make your liscense plate into a reciever mount so that when your not using it to pull the chevy guys outa the ditch knowone can even tell that its under there.

Search this Thread