1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Transmission cooler- HELP! Please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 12:37 PM
OneFine69
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Transmission cooler- HELP! Please!

Hey guys- its been a long time since I have been in here, but I figured this would be the place to turn for its wealth of Ford truck knowledge.
Well, the other night while I was driving, my tranny started slipping gears. Its an automatic by the way (1969 F-250, 360, C-6) and so I pulled over since I figured it was a sign of low tranny fluid. I was correct- because when I popped the hood to get to the stick, well, everything was covered in a nice shiny red goo. I had it towed home since I was in a parking lot in the rain at around 10pm. I am looking at it now, and it seems there is an after market tranny cooler mounted infront of the left side of the radiator. Its small, has three "U" shaped ridges on the top, cant see the bottom. But I figured since the guy before me used this truck to tow a 5th wheel, well, he added the cooler. The only thing I haul is my friends, so I dont think I need it. Can I simply by-pass the hoses that lead to the tranny cooler, and reroute the radiator hoses? Its an odd set-up, but I wanted to know of any thing that will hurt my truck if I dont have a tranny cooler anymore. I dont know what burst on it though or why it spit trans fluid all over my engine- there is no burst hose, so I think its something in the core. Please help! Nasty weather here and time is something of the essence. Thank you very much
-Tristin
http://onefine69.classicbroncos.com

Old 11-29-2003, 12:57 PM
tominator
Senior User
I had my C6 rebuilt by a shop I trust about 2 years ago. The torque converter had been abused before I got it and when it went it took everything with it.

They told me that unless you tow a heay load on a regular basis there is no need for a tranny cooler. That C6 is a rock unless abused.

If yours started slipping regardless the reason and it were me, I'd take it in for a checkup. Have it looked at and adjusted by a prefessional.

Old 11-30-2003, 01:42 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Do you still have the stock radiator cooler in the loop? If you do the just get rid of the add on unit and reconnect the line back into the radiator. I don't think I would run with no cooler at all. I would almost bet it is one of the rubber hoses that is leaking. Rubber hose in a tranny cooler line will almost always fail eventually if left unattended.

Old 11-30-2003, 11:14 AM
linux
New User
I concur with Willowbilly3.
Most definitely.

Old 11-30-2003, 07:22 PM
DuckRyder
Senior User
I also concur.