Computer Chips & Tuners  

SHift point adjustment and shift pressure(fimness adjustment)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 07:40 PM
Innovator
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SHift point adjustment and shift pressure(fimness adjustment)

I just installed the performance software to my 2003 Navigator using the Superchips 1715 tuner.

I feel a power increase for sure, but the engine winds out too fast and shifts too hard using the defauslt performance settings..

When I went in and checked the default peformance settings the tuner installs automatically, the shift points and shift pressure where all maxed out.

Is this normal? Is it dangerous to have the shift pressure maxed out? It feels very sporty, but what will the extra shock do to the trans internals?

I was able to manually reduce the shift points so that they were more normal, as well as reduce the shift pressure down a few notches, and it seems better now.

My question is, where is the best place to set these parameters? I don't want to damage anything, yet I do like the firm shifts.

Please advise

Rick.

Old 11-29-2003, 07:44 AM
Innovator
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TTT. Anyone?

Old 11-29-2003, 11:25 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not officially handling Motorhaven support during my holiday so please have some patience with me waiting for replies, thanks. Did you get this from us (MotorHaven)?

Old 11-29-2003, 11:28 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
A firmer shift is better for your transmission. When you get the laggy shift, that means the clutches are engaged longer, and the pressure inside the tranny is higher for longer periods of time.

Old 12-01-2003, 06:54 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
As mistercmk stated, the softer stock shifts means more clutch pack wear and more heat. You'll actually get more clutch pack life with a chip installed.