Sponsored by:

Tailgate Window Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 12:07 AM
sixgunz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tailgate Window Problem

I have a 93 Bronco that I bought with a supposedly bad rear gate window switch. I replaced it and the power window still doesn't work. I ordered a new T/Gate lock switch thinking it was the problem. I checked the voltage at the rear plug that feeds the gate and I have 10.8 Volts. Is this normal? When I put in the new switch ( which comes as a whole wiring harness ), it still doesn't work. I've even bypassed the latch switch. Anyone else ran into this before?

Thanx, Six

Old 11-28-2003, 10:22 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Have you checked the window motor itself? You can bypass all the garbage to check it out by going thru the access panel inside the the tailgate. Do a search in this forum for TAILGATE. You will find more than enough info on how to work and troubleshoot the tailgate window.

Old 11-28-2003, 10:53 PM
sixgunz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I removed the access panel and have operated the gate window with a jump box several times. So the window motor works. I'm just trying to figure out why there'e no power getting to it.

Old 11-29-2003, 11:03 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Inside the tailgate, on the drivers side, is a "safety" switch that attaches to the latch. If it is bad it will not allow power to the motor via the switches. This is a common problem and is very touchy. Mine on occasion gets the hiccups so I have to slam the tailgate shut and then the window will work again. I haven't tried it yet but I know the switch can be bypassed. But you have to be carefull opening the window with the tailgate open. It can and will shatter if it is not supported. You can get replacement parts for the inside of the tailgate from www.broncograveyard.com

let me know how it goes.