Coolant filter??

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 11:03 PM
924x2150
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Coolant filter??

I have a car with very bad corrosion in the coolant system. God only knows how much loose scale is in the engine water jacket, and the radiator. I have just removed the entire dashboard to replace the leaky heater core, and do not want to see debris clogging up the new core. I don't think three flushes could get all of the dirt and rust out of this system. I have cleaned it twice so far, and am still watching my new green antifreeze turn to brown.
Has anyone heard of an inline filter for heater cores or anything related to a cooling system filter. It would be so nice to install a filter right into the 3/4 inch heater hose, and then be able to visually inspect the filter to check for the amount of scale the filter could pick out.

Old 11-27-2003, 10:34 AM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
With that much rust in the system a filter would plug up. The over-the-counter flush kits are not able to flush a system that has heavy corrosion buildup in it.

Old 11-27-2003, 03:52 PM
Jeff726
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you recommend a service at a shop that has the powerflush equipment then?

Old 11-27-2003, 04:50 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
This link below provides a ton of information about coolant filters. Which ones work, etc. In a system that has heavy deposits present, I think you will need to pull the radiator and inspect it as well as removing the hoses to the water pump and checking the vanes on it. A powerflush is not the cure for a badly rusted system. A band aid at best.

Click Here

Old 11-28-2003, 07:59 PM
924x2150
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The car is a 91 probe. I removed the engine, and I had the entire cooling system out of the vehicle. I replaced the radiator hoses, and non-chemically flushed the radiator, engine and water pump ( the water pump is belt driven and detached from the block on this car) I had a good look into the engine water jacket and I think that is where alot of the scale is at. I actually got into the water pump and cleaned alot of hard scale from it. I could replace the heater hoses, which look bad, and I would just have to contend with scale from the radiator and engine.

The point is, I know it is a bandaid repair, I like this car and am trying to get another 40,000 to 50,000 miles out of it. We bought the car used, and then we neglected it for four years. I starting turning wrenches on her and fell in Love with it, after all of the repairs and getting to drive it again. 91 Ford Probe LX is a darn fine car. Not a Porsche, or Stang, but respectable.

The trick to keeping her going I thought was to keep an eye on the scale thru a clear filter, and protect my new heater core. The entire dash, has to be disconnected( I had nothing left on the interior firewall except wire harnesses and relays when I finally reached the heater core) and the A/C has to be discarged to take out the evaporator. I can't afford to risk this heater core, I want it to be the last thing to fall off this car.

I'll Check the Links you kindly submitted. thx Ultramagdan

Old 11-29-2003, 10:37 AM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
I would recommend the remote canister type filter as opposed to the inline one then.

Sounds like you have a labor of love there.

Old 11-30-2003, 04:08 AM
hyepwrd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would take out the core and let it sit in some chemical for a day or two and flush it out with a water hose myself...but you have crud in your engine also. you have to get that flushed out if you want to keep her clean.
a filter on a coolant system is something that you should never need. if you change your coolant regularly, you shouldn't ever need one.