1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Door Hinge Pins

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 09:19 PM
BigBadWally
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door Hinge Pins

My driver's side door has some serious sag, so I was going to try and repair it by replacing the door hinge bushings and pins. However, looking at the hinge, there is no obvious way of removing the pins without cutting them. Is that how it's done? I don't want to cut them only to find out later that I really screwed something up!

Thanks,

BigBadWally
'82 F-150 4x4
4.9L, 150Kmiles

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. --Jack Handy

Old 11-26-2003, 10:05 PM
slifer
Senior User
Not sure if that's how it is supposed to be done, but I cut mine out with an angle grinder. It worked pretty good, all seems to be well I guess.

Old 11-26-2003, 11:20 PM
horton-racing
Senior User
I`ve always bought new hinges for mine. The Ford hinges aren`t like the old Chevy`s that had bushings and pins that were easy to change. The hinges are about $50 apiece new from Ford or you can go to a wrecking yard and find some good ones if money is tight. I don`t know if any aftermarket company is making them (the hinges). It is a pain in the rear to change them out though. Better have some help and a couple of jackstands and rags to support the door. Do they even sell bushings and pins for these hinges? If so let me know, I may have been throwing good money away on new hinges. Good luck.

Old 11-26-2003, 11:38 PM
slifer
Senior User
Yeah, they make em, check out your auto parts store, I bought mine at advance auto for like $5. I just hung my door from the rafters of my garage, unbolted the door, and backed the truck up. It was pretty easy, partially because I don't have to be carefull with my truck, a couple more scratches or dents won't hurt it any.

Old 12-13-2003, 11:08 PM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They're easy to change, it helps to have someone else there to hold the door up while you work on it. I just cut the worn pins in half and pulled them out. The bushings were a little tricky I split them with a cold chisel and they came right out. Then just push the new bushings into place, you might need to tap on them with a light hammer to drive them home. Finally reposition the door push the door pins through, install the snap rings and you're done!

Old 12-15-2003, 10:20 PM
BigBadWally
Freshman User
Thanks for the tips. I have the pins, now all I need is some time! :-)

BigBadWally
'82 F-150 4x4
4.9L Big Six
150K miles and still pumpin'