Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Truck stolen - looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2024, 02:36 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 2,042 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Born in Seattle. Spent my entire life in the region, growing up across Puget Sound in a very idyllic place called Bainbridge Island.
I’m sure it was nice once upon a time . Now it’s not far off from Mad Max.

The following 3 users liked this post by SkySkiJason:
Old 06-10-2024, 08:25 PM
F350towing
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1,179 Likes on 642 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason

2 men enter… 1 man leaves.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-10-2024, 10:35 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 863 Likes on 651 Posts
Yeah, it was hard to watch. Hobo camps under any handy overpass that provided shelter. Thing is, Seattle government allowed and encouraged lawless behavior and they would come from across the nation to take advantage of the situation. It was a common story to hear of some tweaker state that they were from some other region of the US, but they were told to go to Seattle. Once saw a police van from Yakima in Eastern Washington pull up under the I-5 bridge and drop a few inmates off that were being released. Basically shipping their problems on over to us. . I'll stop there before I start talking politics, we get charged with off-topic and then this thread gets locked and the OP has to start a new one.

The following 2 users liked this post by Kwikkordead:
Old 06-11-2024, 04:36 AM
Rick37
Mountain Pass
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ff lc freak
Yesterday I finally had the chance to go over my truck a little bit more. I'm having a real hard time waiting for insurance. I just want to get in there and start fixing things. I did get the dash somewhat put back together. I also plugged the driver rear window switch into the rear passenger side and got the window up. But in the latest round of WTF discoveries, a missing track bar bolt. Why?! I know the answer is meth, but come on!

Anyone know where I can get an E99 track bar bolt or have a part number? It looks like it is a 15.5 mm bolt, vs the 21 mm bolt on late 99s. For the time being, I shoved a 9/16 bolt in there, but it is a little loose. And a quick search online hasn't produced any results.

Oh, and I got the windshield wipers working. Another WTF moment, they simply removed the fuse.

Anyway, any help with the track bar bolt would be appreciated. And thanks all for the comments. It is nice to be among like minded individuals.
Unfortunately that bolt had to be reused. Sorry!

Old 06-12-2024, 07:38 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
I keep hearing about the Ravelco unit. My understanding is that the unit is hidden somewhere in your truck and only the tech that installed it knows where.
Upon a theft what happens then?
I've heard that the law enforcement folks cannot track them?
So, say a truck IS stolen; driven or towed away; What is the process for FINDING the truck?

Old 06-12-2024, 07:54 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 3,032 Likes on 2,002 Posts
That is why I have an AirTag in all my vehicles.

Old 06-12-2024, 07:58 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Supercab
I keep hearing about the Ravelco unit. My understanding is that the unit is hidden somewhere in your truck and only the tech that installed it knows where.
So, say a truck IS stolen; driven or towed away; What is the process for FINDING the truck?
Ravelco is just a fancy switch with a special key. A good installer will interrupt wires in a place that is difficult/impossible for a thief to access. I would probably drop the dash if I were to install one of these.

There are lots of GPS tracking devices on the market these days. They range in price based on battery life and frequency of ‘pings’. These are frequently used by everything from equipment rental companies to trucking outfits, etc to track the location of their assets.

The following 2 users liked this post by SkySkiJason:
Old 06-12-2024, 10:41 AM
ff lc freak
Cross-Country
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Okay, getting back on track. I've been down and out with Covid for the last 10 days or so, and I'm still not back to 100%. I had an insurance adjuster stop by last Friday to take a look since I couldn't get my truck in to any body shop in a reasonable amount of time. He came back with a quote of $5750 for parts and labor. I'm most likely going to be doing this myself, and I already have some parts ready to go on it. However, the adjuster gave me a couple of ideas for places to take it, so I'm going to call them this week. We'll see how that pans out. Unfortunately, I'm not going to have much time to work on my truck until late July. My wife and I are leaving on a road trip to Utah and Colorado in a little over a week. Being down and out with Covid set me back a ways in getting ready for that trip. Every spare moment I have right now is getting that stuff ready.

That upper track bar bracket has been destroyed by having the hole enlarged. Most likely, someone couldn’t put it together and made modifications....

I may have one of those. If it didn’t go with scrap metal last time, I’ll give it to you.

The rest of the front end can and should be converted to L99, but the track bar will have to remain E99. I put L99 unit bearings, brakes and steering gear in these any time those components are being replaced.
Thanks SSJ! I will take you up on that if you still have it. Let me know. I'm happy to pay shipping.

Keep the comments coming. I love to hear all of it. Also the ideas for theft deterrents. I'm making a list of things to go on my truck as I rebuild it.

Old 06-12-2024, 11:13 AM
Socket
Cross-Country
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Supercab
The Ravelco isn’t really hidden, the wires are what’s hidden and protected by their armored steel cable. As for what circuits and how the wires are connected inside the plug, only the tech and Ravelco know. In order to order a spare plug (it comes with two) you have to send in proof of ownership and a code to get the proper plug.

I also run an alarm system with GPS tracking that allows for bread crumbing and turn by turn updates. I plan on adding some air tags without speakers soon too just to be on the safe side.

Here’s the vehicle side of the Ravelco and where it’s at on my truck. If the plug is removed the only way to steal the truck in a timely manner would be a flatbed at

Old 06-12-2024, 11:33 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 3,032 Likes on 2,002 Posts
That upper track bar bracket has been destroyed by having the hole enlarged.
Actually, that looks a lot like the adjustable track bar bracket that I have as well. See the “ears” at each end of the slot? A cammed bolt goes in between them. Don’t ask me where I got the bracket from. It came with the truck when I bought it with a mystery 4” lift installed.

Old 06-12-2024, 01:59 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob
Actually, that looks a lot like the adjustable track bar bracket that I have as well. See the “ears” at each end of the slot? A cammed bolt goes in between them. Don’t ask me where I got the bracket from. It came with the truck when I bought it with a mystery 4” lift installed.
Seems kinda janky.

I’ll go look now.

edit: BOOM!

The following 2 users liked this post by SkySkiJason:
Old Today, 08:07 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 889 Likes on 626 Posts
That bites, glad you got it back and hopefully, you can get it back to good as new. I think they should still hang horse thieves. When they got out, did they take their stench with them or is it still in there?

Old Today, 10:19 AM
kenn_chan
More Turbo
Received 275 Likes on 182 Posts
I am still curious to know if the OP has tracked down and eviscerated the thieves yet... Thats all i want to hear.. some good ole Charlie Bronson action... in this case with a lead filled pipe vice a gun.