Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2024, 08:07 PM
Curated Content Editor
Fleet Mechanic
Received 132 Likes on 95 Posts
Ford F-150 Struck by Lightning in Shocking Stroke of Bad Luck

Ford F-150 Struck by Lightning in Shocking Stroke of Bad Luck
By Brett Foote

And the whole thing was caught on video.

Old 05-21-2024, 04:00 AM
RLXXI
Mr. Electric

Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Looks cheap to repair but it's what you don't see that's going to sting the wallet. I had a lightning strike PSD in my shop back in 03 or 04. Fried every electronic module in that truck. Would have been totalled but it was only a year old truck. So I fixed it.

Old 05-24-2024, 11:13 AM
Kapusta
Cargo Master
Received 1,714 Likes on 642 Posts
It's now a "Lightning" model.
You'd think it would be safe since it sits on rubber tires. I guess not.

Old 05-24-2024, 11:46 AM
RLXXI
Mr. Electric

Originally Posted by Kapusta
It's now a "Lightning" model.
You'd think it would be safe since it sits on rubber tires. I guess not.
Voltage as high as a lightning bolt can jump pretty far. Think Tesla coil.The one I fixed got hit thru the exhaust which hangs fairly high on an F350 SD yet that's how it got in. Hit the ground right next to the tail pipe.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-24-2024, 09:41 PM
Scot
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Reminds me of a story. Ten plus years ago the shift commander at my fire department calls in sick on Easter morning so one of the other officers steps up and decides that it was the perfect morning to go out and pull hose. After it was clear that he was not joking, much speculation ensued about what the Lord was going to do, only to be scoffed at.

That evening a squall blew in with lots of rain, thunder and lightning some of which seemed REALLY close. Monday morning, everyone goes out to leave and our fearless leader sticks the key into his brand new Toyota truck with the paper plate still on it and it does -nothing.-

The rollback wrecker arrives and the driver says, see that big divot in the concrete under your tire, that's where the lightning hit your truck. They plug it into the master diagnostic computer at Toyota and it can't register that anything is even plugged into it so they start ordering electrical parts.

He asked me about it and I told him I wouldn't own it unless they laid every bit of the wiring harness and sensors in the trash and started over. Months pass as they order a part, maybe drive it, tow it back to the dealer, order more parts while he pays the truck note and the rental car.

Finally they call him and say it's ready so he drives it out of the service lot with about 500 miles on it into the dealer lot and trades it in on a new truck.

We just all laughed at him.

Old 05-24-2024, 10:07 PM
RLXXI
Mr. Electric

Originally Posted by Scot
Reminds me of a story. Ten plus years ago the shift commander at my fire department calls in sick on Easter morning so one of the other officers steps up and decides that it was the perfect morning to go out and pull hose. After it was clear that he was not joking, much speculation ensued about what the Lord was going to do, only to be scoffed at.

That evening a squall blew in with lots of rain, thunder and lightning some of which seemed REALLY close. Monday morning, everyone goes out to leave and our fearless leader sticks the key into his brand new Toyota truck with the paper plate still on it and it does -nothing.-

The rollback wrecker arrives and the driver says, see that big divot in the concrete under your tire, that's where the lightning hit your truck. They plug it into the master diagnostic computer at Toyota and it can't register that anything is even plugged into it so they start ordering electrical parts.

He asked me about it and I told him I wouldn't own it unless they laid every bit of the wiring harness and sensors in the trash and started over. Months pass as they order a part, maybe drive it, tow it back to the dealer, order more parts while he pays the truck note and the rental car.

Finally they call him and say it's ready so he drives it out of the service lot with about 500 miles on it into the dealer lot and trades it in on a new truck.

We just all laughed at him.
Divine karma, lol.