1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

IPR electromagnet solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2024, 01:09 PM
Allabouttheambulance
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IPR electromagnet solenoid

Does anyone have a reason that I cannot use this for my ipr?
HydraForce 4303612 Solenoid Valve, Deutsche Connector, 12v DC, 08 Series https://a.co/d/3dY2JBJ
There is nothing wrong with the poppet valve, I have disassembled and thoroughly cleaned. (btw- I honestly do not get where some people are saying there is a spring in the valve. No spring. The oil pressure from hpop pushes the pin open and the solenoid pulses to pull it closed. That rate of pulse (it is the ecm providing a ground for the magnet several times a second. Slower allows more to bypass, faster allows less. Magnet fails from engine heat. This is why the ice trick works for short distances. Also why the pick up has slightly different symptoms than the e-series. The e-series retains a lot of heat on top of engine with no place to go. If you want to get a bad ipr to restart sooner and drive further, pull the doghouse off, put your ear plugs in and roll down the windows. That will allow air to cool off the ipr and get you an extra mile or two towards home. Beware :it is louder than the Black Sabbath Wall of Sound with doghouse off. And I say that after 5 years in artillery, 16 years in automotive and 40+ years of heavy metal rock n roll.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-17-2024, 03:07 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 898 Likes on 682 Posts
I dont know if it will work or not, Ohm it first to be sure it will be ok for the PCM. 10.1-10.8 OHMS IIRC

I have not heard of using a different coil on it and being successful

there is no magnet to kill with heat

The coil, over time, will heat up and make an open connection in its tiny 12VDC rated windings. Cooling it closes the connection until too hot.

Old 05-17-2024, 04:29 PM
Allabouttheambulance
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Am I mistaken that when you wind wire around a core and energize it, it becomes a magnet?

Is it sheer willpower that causes the pins in the valve to move? I thought a solenoid in general was an electromagnet around a core?

Darn it, is my sarcasm showing again. While if you just want to look at it's physical element, then yes, it is a coil. And remains that until it is energized, then it becomes a magnet. Once the heat degrades the windings of the coil, it can no longer provide adequate magnetic force to move the valve. The electrical windings fail in the coil, if you cool those windings it may work again and create enough magnetic force to move and hold valve.

​​​

Old 05-18-2024, 10:15 AM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts
That is what he was trying to tell you when your sarcasm got in the way. You stated that there is a magnet. He was trying to remind you that it is an electromagnet.

not everyone understands a magnet versus and an electromagnet, and upon initial reading he wants to make sure that others who may read your post understand the difference.

I looked at the solenoid you are referencing. I don’t have the OEM dimensions readily available, but if the dimensions are the same I think it may work. The connections looks similar. My hesitation would center around variance in output versus input between the two coils. The variance could result in irregular oil pressure and not let the truck run as designed. Everything must be tried for the first time before we know what will happen. For the cost involved, I think I would give it a go. Worst case, you end up pulling it off and buying a new IPR. And if you are working to resolve a problem then you already know you will be buying one anyway so you aren’t out much. If you try it, please document your experience so we can all learn together.

The following 2 users liked this post by 97-psd: