Squat on F350 with Adv 901SB.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2024, 09:52 AM
AZRyder
5th Wheeling
Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts
Squat on F350 with Adv 901SB.

I traded my light Northstar 850SC on a heavier Adventurer 901SB and the bump stops are now firmly on the helper springs giving a more pronounced rear squat. Whereas the Northstar squated about 2-1/2 inches, the Adventurer squats another inch. I have read several posts on increasing the length of the bump stops and adding air bags. I would prefer not to go the air bags route so am asking if the longer bump stops will get me added height at the rear. On the drive back from the dealership, I did feel the additional weight, but stability was not a concern. Thanks for any insight you can provide. My truck is a 2022 F350 XLT with the camper package and 4417 payload.

Old 05-18-2024, 03:39 PM
jefe4x4
Tuned
Received 189 Likes on 98 Posts
How much does the 901SB weigh?
I still like the upper Torklift Stable Loads as there's nothing to adjust or rust.
But that's for the camper you used to have, which is the same camper we now have. 2350 pounds with 41 gallons of water and 20 pounds of propane with over 4K pounds of payload capy.
If you are real heavy, as I suspect, you may want to switch to the lower Stable Loads.
You loose ground clearance, but if you are not an off-roader, no big deal.
Installation is a bit more difficult with the lowers.
jefe

Old 05-18-2024, 04:49 PM
ABGasGuy
Cross-Country
Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts
Another vote for the Torklift upper Stable Loads. You might even want to add a set of Timbrens if you really want to kill the sag. I run both on my F350 with a Northern Lite 8-11 and she's within a couple degrees of level when we head out fully loaded for a two week getaway

Old 05-18-2024, 06:12 PM
memilanuk
Cross-Country
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
We have the Timbrens on our F350 CCLB DRW, carrying a 910DB. Little heavier than the 901SB, but not that much.

Without anything, the truck sagged about 2" in the back. Didn't really 'show', but kind of annoying none the less. Added the Timbrens - super quick / easy install, btw - and... ended up with the worst of both worlds. Even with the included spacers, the truck didn't quite engage the Timbrens - maybe a 1/4" off - with the camper on. So... no sag relief, and if I hit even a seam in the pavement, it about jarred your eye teeth loose when the Timbrens *did* engage. Ouch.

Came back from that trip, and got a couple more spacers. Had to go to the hardware store and get slightly longer bolts, too. Added spacers until I was about 1" off the axle unloaded - which let them be fully engaged with the camper on. Much better! Definitely a lot more 'solid' feeling than with air bags (previous truck, same camper), and when you do hit something like a pot hole or such, it's certainly a lot 'firmer' of a bump - but not bad at all, in my opinion. Still sags a little more than I'd like - and I did add extended upper overload stops too, so those engage earlier and take a little more of the side-to-side out.

As an aside, if you go the Timbren route, be sure you get the 'Severe Service' ones, with the single bulb, rather than the regular ones with the double bulbs. The weight rating is actually slightly higher on the double bulb version, but Timbren does not recommend them for heavy loads with a high center of gravity i.e. salt / spray trucks, slide-in truck campers, etc.

Old 05-18-2024, 07:20 PM
AZRyder
5th Wheeling
Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by jefe4x4
How much does the 901SB weigh?
I still like the upper Torklift Stable Loads as there's nothing to adjust or rust.
But that's for the camper you used to have, which is the same camper we now have. 2350 pounds with 41 gallons of water and 20 pounds of propane with over 4K pounds of payload capy.
If you are real heavy, as I suspect, you may want to switch to the lower Stable Loads.
You loose ground clearance, but if you are not an off-roader, no big deal.
Installation is a bit more difficult with the lowers.
jefe
Thanks Jeff. The camper is reported as right around 4,000 lbs wet, although I haven't had an opportunity to weight it yet. I did like to off-road with the Northstar, but I realize that the Adventurer has more limits and we won't be going quite as far off-road.