RV GPS unit or reliable app for RV trips

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2024, 04:29 AM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts
I have an Atoto Android head unit in my truck & usecthe Sygic Truck navigation app, although I find that using the mirror function & the same app on my phone performs better as the Atoto GPS sometimes drops out. I don't know if Sygic is available for you guys in the USA or if it's just a European thing.
I used to use a Garmin camper sat nav but found the updates to take ages to download & still be 6 months out of date.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-20-2024, 09:59 AM
WE3ZS
Received 932 Likes on 629 Posts
I’ve always favored the term “sat nav” over GPS, just sounds cooler like so many other UK and European terms.

Old 05-20-2024, 10:11 AM
WE3ZS
Originally Posted by BadDogPSD
I like the Garmin RV GPS's. Phone apps are helpful, but don't always have cell service.

Yes, we have found several places here in the East where cell service is nonexistent and can only expect more of that as we migrate farther out West with the new rig.
I would imagine that we would continue to use Waze in addition to a dedicated RV GPS as Waze has done a great job at rerouting on the fly due to accidents or traffic conditions so far in our travels. Then hopefully the RV GPS can work to keep us out of trouble on the reroute with bridges and too narrow roads.

Old 05-20-2024, 10:11 AM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
I’ve always favored term “sat nav” over GPS, just sounds cooler like so many other UK and European terms.
Haha, sat nav is just an abbreviation for satellite navigation, which is what the unit/app actually is, GPS is just the acronym for Global Positioning Satellite, I always find it interesting how the Americans have come up with different words/terms for stuff using the English language which coupled with the different accents makes some conversations errrrr let's say interesting lol!

Old 05-20-2024, 10:14 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,554 Likes on 1,108 Posts
Yeas, we have found several places here in the East where cell service is nonexistent and can only expect more of that as we migrate farther out West with the new rig.
I would imagine that we would continue to use Waze in addition to a dedicated RV GPS as Waze has done a great job at rerouting on the fly due to accidents or traffic conditions so far in our travels. Then hopefully the RV GPS can work to keep us out of trouble on the reroute with bridges and too narrow roads.
hook up the gps to either your phone or truck hot spot. then you also get weather.
either way it will route around those issues. you may think why this route but then you figure out way.
a CB is also a nice addition.

Old 05-20-2024, 10:15 AM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Yeas, we have found several places here in the East where cell service is nonexistent and can only expect more of that as we migrate farther out West with the new rig.
Pretty sure that you can download maps on Sygic so that they still work when there's no cell signal, much like Google maps, I really think that Google have missed a trick by not offering an add on that would include vehicle dimensions & low bridges etc.

The following 2 users liked this post by Shovelheadrob:
Old 05-20-2024, 10:34 AM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts
Originally Posted by Shovelheadrob
Haha, sat nav is just an abbreviation for satellite navigation, which is what the unit/app actually is, GPS is just the acronym for Global Positioning Satellite, I always find it interesting how the Americans have come up with different words/terms for stuff using the English language which coupled with the different accents makes some conversations errrrr let's say interesting lol!
Churchill was correct, two peoples separated by a common language.

Originally Posted by Shovelheadrob
Pretty sure that you can download maps on Sygic so that they still work when there's no cell signal, much like Google maps, I really think that Google have missed a trick by not offering an add on that would include vehicle dimensions & low bridges etc.
I totally agree, google is definitely dropping the ball on that one. Figure the commercial applications alone would be enough.

The following 2 users liked this post by rufushusky:
Old 05-22-2024, 04:16 PM
acdii
Logistics Pro
Received 2,099 Likes on 1,428 Posts
I find it interesting how the world now relies on something that was created to guide nuclear missiles around the planet, as well as conduct battle campaigns with tanks and planes.

Old 05-22-2024, 04:51 PM
WE3ZS
Originally Posted by acdii
I find it interesting how the world now relies on something that was created to guide nuclear missiles around the planet, as well as conduct battle campaigns with tanks and planes.
It’s still the same use really, getting the payload to the target.

Old 05-24-2024, 08:22 PM
spoon059
Cross-Country
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Just to throw a curve ball here, when I retire we are planning on doing longer trips across the country. I'd like to avoid interstates if possible, as well as be able to put in a 13-6 height restriction as well. I'd like to be able to get guidance on some older highways, do some Rt 66 style traveling.

Any apps or standalone units accomodate that?

Old 05-24-2024, 10:24 PM
senix
Super Moderator
my RV gps would allow to avoid interstates and toll roads.

Old 05-25-2024, 09:26 AM
kshoop1958
More Turbo
Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by acdii
A while back my wife and I stopped at a missile silo in South Dakota that's been turned into a tourist stop, and they had a really funny sign on one the buildings. It was blue, with a Domino's Pizza logo, and said "Delivered Anywhere In The World In 30 Minutes, Or Your Next One's Free". Pretty good gallows humor right there.

The following 3 users liked this post by kshoop1958:
Old 05-27-2024, 07:21 PM
spoon059
Cross-Country
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
my RV gps would allow to avoid interstates and toll roads.
Which one do you have?

Old 05-27-2024, 07:28 PM
rvpuller
Received 472 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by spoon059
Which one do you have?
Everyone I've seen has the ability to avoid freeways and toll roads. My old Garmin would also avoid U turns and give you altitude where my sync 2 won't.

Denny

Old 05-27-2024, 09:42 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by spoon059
Which one do you have?
I am running a truckers gps now.

My Rand McNally rv gps is not with me, but you can search pretty much any rv gps and they will have the same abilities.

Quick Reply: RV GPS unit or reliable app for RV trips