1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with buying my first F250.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 05:47 AM
KatanaCowgirl
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with buying my first F250.

Hey everyone,I was doing research and came across this forum. I'm looking to buy my first truck ever 🤗 and i came across this 2009 Ford f250 diesel Kings Ranch that is so pretty it gives me 🦋🦋. I'm worried about how high the mileage is - 190k...but after some scrolling through one of the threads yall were saying that with diesels it's not so much the mileage as the maintenance and care of the truck. So i got to wondering if maybe its the truck for me and what I might look for or ask the dealer man ...Everyone seems so helpful so I decided to join the forum so if I do get a ford I can come here when I need help. Lol like right now. So....
i read here someone suggesting getting the maintance records...what am i looking for in these records??
what are some questions to ask??
Is it correct to pay less mind to milage and more to maintance?
If I'm getting something I'd like to in the next week so I can get to getting, any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-04-2024, 06:28 AM
Old and soft
Tuned
Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts
Some consider the 6.4 the most trouble prone engine put in a super duty. Egr, oil cooler, and head gasket issues.

Old 05-04-2024, 06:46 AM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 149 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Old and soft
Some consider the 6.4 the most trouble prone engine put in a super duty. Egr, oil cooler, and head gasket issues.
Im one who considers the 6.4 the worst of some bad engines in the 2000s. I would buy a nice truck for cheap that waa deleted and didn't exhibit any problems....but it'd have to be cheap

Old 05-04-2024, 08:20 AM
apache84
Tuned
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts
The Ford 6.0 and 6.4 are pretty notorious for being a mess of an engine. Generally speaking dealers buy from auction houses who sell vehicles others don't want on the front lines. Financing for vehicles older then 6 years is harder. Those vehicles typically were shipped in from across the country so the original seller wont see the mass markup the seller is now asking. Typically no records, no history other than a Carfax maybe. A perfect example is a local dealer bought my friends 01 Ram 2500 for 5K and put it back on the lot for $12,900 a few weeks later. P/P he may have got 8k or so for it with its 400K miles on it and its problems. It looked very clean but was used almost exclusively as a 5er hauler all its life. Most use diesels as haulers and work them because the pull good and get better fuel economy than a gasser. Is 190K a lot? could be mechanical cream puff or a nightmare in disguise. Why buy from a dealer might I ask? Financing abilities? Do you really need a 3/4 ton ++ truck?

Old 05-04-2024, 10:37 AM
KatanaCowgirl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by apache84
The Ford 6.0 and 6.4 are pretty notorious for being a mess of an engine. Generally speaking dealers buy from auction houses who sell vehicles others don't want on the front lines. Financing for vehicles older then 6 years is harder. Those vehicles typically were shipped in from across the country so the original seller wont see the mass markup the seller is now asking. Typically no records, no history other than a Carfax maybe. A perfect example is a local dealer bought my friends 01 Ram 2500 for 5K and put it back on the lot for $12,900 a few weeks later. P/P he may have got 8k or so for it with its 400K miles on it and its problems. It looked very clean but was used almost exclusively as a 5er hauler all its life. Most use diesels as haulers and work them because the pull good and get better fuel economy than a gasser. Is 190K a lot? could be mechanical cream puff or a nightmare in disguise. Why buy from a dealer might I ask? Financing abilities? Do you really need a 3/4 ton ++ truck?
Noooo not a mess of a engine 😫...not what I wanna hear but great to know.
Im realizing I dont NEED to get the truck now now but i will within a year. I'm currently in Texas about to head to Colorado so I was thinking of getting the truck in Tx before I leave. Ill occasionally be pulling a few horses for my equine assisted psychotherapy practice and was told anything less then a f250 or 2500 would be putting too much wear on the engine. So i think i need a 3/4 ton one ? I just happened upon the car lot when I was taking my ford escape to get fixed down the road and decided to look around. So I dont know if it's technically a "dealership" but it's not a private person and they do offer financing....hmmmm...so what your saying is there's a chance I won't be able to get much accurate info on the history and maintenance of the truck and chances are I'm paying extra for it being a lot car. I'm better off buying from private owner??

Old 05-04-2024, 10:44 AM
KatanaCowgirl
5th Gear
What type of engine is even in 2009 f250 KRanch

Originally Posted by Old and soft
Is the 2009 f250 Kings Ranch and 6.4 or a 5.4??
V8 5.4?

Old 05-04-2024, 11:42 AM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 149 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by KatanaCowgirl
Noooo not a mess of a engine 😫...not what I wanna hear but great to know.
Im realizing I dont NEED to get the truck now now but i will within a year. I'm currently in Texas about to head to Colorado so I was thinking of getting the truck in Tx before I leave. Ill occasionally be pulling a few horses for my equine assisted psychotherapy practice and was told anything less then a f250 or 2500 would be putting too much wear on the engine. So i think i need a 3/4 ton one ? I just happened upon the car lot when I was taking my ford escape to get fixed down the road and decided to look around. So I dont know if it's technically a "dealership" but it's not a private person and they do offer financing....hmmmm...so what your saying is there's a chance I won't be able to get much accurate info on the history and maintenance of the truck and chances are I'm paying extra for it being a lot car. I'm better off buying from private owner??
Just about always better to buy from an owner vs a dealership, because you can get a feel for what type of owner had the truck before you.

If it's a part time vehicle, I'd find a 6.2 f250 (2011+), just about any gas chevy 2500, or an older diesel of any make if you'd like a diesel... although for part time use, gas is a safer bet. Look on dealer lots to browse what each truck is like, you can look at dozens in a day, and then you will learn what is available vs what you like (youll learn what you like along the way). The 2000s ford gas engines are risky, but you can find a really nice truck for cheap in this demographic.

Old 05-04-2024, 12:17 PM
apache84
Tuned
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts
Yes, if you hauling horses Id certainly opt for the 2500/ 250 truck. 1/2 ton will have taller gearing likely, smaller brakes, less overall tow capacity. Im much a truck junkie myself. Ive had mixed luck with all of the big threes trucks. Id have to say anything dodge/jeep/Chrysler goes to the bottom of the barrel IMO. The 07 6.0 Silverado I bought new was a good truck as well. Got 15 mpg empty and hauled my 4 horse/stock trailer with a lance camper decently. Depending on your frequency of towing or use there is nothing wrong with a gas truck either. Just allow for poorer fuel economy. In a nut shell from what Ive seen add $10,000 for a diesel engine, unless its a 6.0 or 6.4. Ive seem 6.0's that folks cant sell. Most guys I know with 7.3's get 16mpg or so, my Rams got 16 on the Dually and 20 on the 2wd 2500. My 99 V10 4x4 gets 10mpg towing a trailer of hay. Personally had I known at the time Id have looked for a newer F250 with the later V10 with more power and no plug issues.