4.2 Forum

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 11:46 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
4.2 Forum

I find myself in a delicate position. I wish to address a subject without offending, alienating, or driving away any of the core group of guys who make significant contributions to the 4.2 Forum. But, alas, it's all part of the job.......
So....here is a copied and pasted section from a Sticky I put up about a month ago (and have since removed):

"edited to add: one other thing to mention: It seems threads have developed a tendency to "veer slightly off topic". While I appreciate and encourage friendly interaction among all FTE users, please be mindful of the threads. Each thread has an "owner". We do others an injustice if their thread is hijacked and gets carried off into never-never land. Try to keep posts, at worst case, indirectly related to the subject at hand. Nonrelated subjects are perfect for private e-mails, the GC Forum, or The Pig Pen."

Now the delicate part - I want to ask again that we make an effort to minimize the number of unrelated posts, personal good-natured jabs, one-liners, etc. I am NOT asking that the 4.2 Forum become a dry, dull place where only technical questions and technical answers can be posted.
However, please be aware that every person who might read a thread in search of information, has to read every post- be it specific to the subject at hand, or totally unrelated.
I try hard to step in only when I feel it is really necessary - and then try to do so in a way that will get things back on course in a way that doesn't drive guys away from FTE.

So, in conclusion, there is a LOT of knowledge amongst the regulars here. There is also a lot of good-natured fun being had. Let's try to keep the fun going, but in a manner less likely to turn so many threads into a series of posts that have nothing to do with the original topic and gets the thread so far off course that the original owner and topic are cast aside.

I hope and trust everyone understands what I am shooting for: a balance that will keep ALL visitors to the 4.2 Forum happy and coming back.

Thanks guys!

Old 12-01-2003, 11:50 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Brian,

1st, I hope you had a great ThanksGiving.

2nd, I think we've been cutting back on the above. I know a bunch of us have been utilizing the direct email to talk about unrelated issues that may have come up during our discussions within threads. The goofiness definetely gets out of hand, especially for us desk-jockey guys who may have slow or boring days at work. I think we will all try harder to cut out the one-liner jokes and so forth.

Tom

Old 12-02-2003, 05:32 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Tom!
I did have a nice Thanksgiving and just returned today from 3 days in Chicago. Glad to be home - and back to FTE!
Thanks to all for the understanding and cooperation!

Old 12-03-2003, 07:13 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, i too get withdrawl symptoms after not posting for a few days. Good to have you back.

Tom