1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1982 F250 C6 transmission not engaging gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 08:21 AM
BullnoseFord82
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1982 F250 C6 transmission not engaging gear

I just went through a big project changing out the flex plate, torque converter, changing trans fluid and filter. I filled the torque converter with 1 quart before install and the trans with 11 more quarts through dip stick tube.

Trans does not want to shift into gear now. It was working great before doing this work so I am
not sure what the problem is. I thought the trans pump might be bad or cooling pipe clogged so I started undoing the pipe and it cracked in the process of taking it off, so now when starting it squirts out like crazy. Need to fix that, but at least I know the transmission pump is working.

There were a couple instances when I shifted into reverse it would engage for a second and reverse but then it stopped. Now it doesn’t engage at all. Park and neutral seem to work.

Any tips, things to try?

Old 03-23-2024, 08:36 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,123 Likes on 1,807 Posts
Welcome to FTE

Why was the converter changed? If it was bad then so is the transmission in my book as anything that came apart in the converter made its way into the transmission. No the filter dose not catch everything.

Talking filter are you sure it is sealed to the valve body?
If it is not it will suck air and not pump the ATF at the right PSI.

When you installed the trans was the converter away from the flex plate and you needed to pull it to the flex to get the nuts / bolt on?
If not the converter may not be installed all the way and you are only driving the pump by binding it on the shaft in the converter NOT GOOD!

Once you have that line fixed start the motor and let it idle and check the fluid level.
Even with the 11 +1 qt it could have still been low.
Till you know the level is right you cant move forward.
Dave ----

Old 03-23-2024, 09:55 AM
BullnoseFord82
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The torque converter was only changed because whoever put it on last stripped the nut. So I had to drill that nut off and hit a bit of the stud. So I figured best to just replace it. Everything was working on it fine, so I don’t think the transmission is damaged.

Yes, I had to pull the torque converter forward a bit. And with tightening the nuts down that pulled it forward a bit more as well. With the nuts off, the torque converter would spin freely back and forth in the flex plate holes. I’m pretty confident this is installed correctly.

When I put the new filter on I put a new gasket (came with cork instead of the original which was rubber) and tightened it all down with the same screws as before. Pretty confident that is in the right way, but that may be the next step to pull that off and double check it again.

As far as the fluid level what is the actual amount? I seen a lot of conflicting data, some say 12qts I’ve seen some say 16qts. Figure completely dry torque converter and trans.

The other thing I haven’t done is check the fluid level while running in park. Maybe it is low while running?

Old 03-23-2024, 03:48 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,699 Likes on 1,374 Posts
That is the proper way to check the fluid level. Let the engine warm up in the driveway for 5 minutes, and while it's idling normally pull the dipstick out of the trans, wipe it off, stick it back in, and then pull it out and check the level. If it's low or not even on the stick, that is your problem.

Old 03-23-2024, 08:33 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,123 Likes on 1,807 Posts
Originally Posted by BullnoseFord82
The torque converter was only changed because whoever put it on last stripped the nut. So I had to drill that nut off and hit a bit of the stud. So I figured best to just replace it. Everything was working on it fine, so I don’t think the transmission is damaged.

Yes, I had to pull the torque converter forward a bit. And with tightening the nuts down that pulled it forward a bit more as well. With the nuts off, the torque converter would spin freely back and forth in the flex plate holes. I’m pretty confident this is installed correctly.

When I put the new filter on I put a new gasket (came with cork instead of the original which was rubber) and tightened it all down with the same screws as before. Pretty confident that is in the right way, but that may be the next step to pull that off and double check it again.

As far as the fluid level what is the actual amount? I seen a lot of conflicting data, some say 12qts I’ve seen some say 16qts. Figure completely dry torque converter and trans.

The other thing I haven’t done is check the fluid level while running in park. Maybe it is low while running?
It sounds like the converter is set right I was worried you may have the pump bind up.
See DavF answer below on how to check the ATF level.
Originally Posted by Franklin2
That is the proper way to check the fluid level. Let the engine warm up in the driveway for 5 minutes, and while it's idling normally pull the dipstick out of the trans, wipe it off, stick it back in, and then pull it out and check the level. If it's low or not even on the stick, that is your problem.
I say when first refilling the trans you dont need to wait the 5 min. to check for a level.
You do want to make sure it is at least on the stick and add till it shows. Then you can let it warm up and check the final level.
Thanks DaveF
Dave ----