Toy Hauler - What to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 08:47 AM
Member No. 1
Rather Be Rid'n!
Received 170 Likes on 128 Posts
Toy Hauler - What to buy?

Looking for user feedback. I'll be in the market for a small 5th wheel TH, maybe one bump out. My buddy has a Forest River XLR with 3 bump outs, maybe around 40'? It's big.
Very sweet TH, they camp a lot. We have taken over the garage area and stay with them. This unit has two bathrooms, 2 exit doors, rear patio. So it's like we have our own space.
I want to get my own. Doesn't need to be over the top, super fancy, I just need it for the 2 bikes in my sig, a place to sleep, eat, cook, relax, shower/bathroom. Plus We have a 4 legged
child, and I wouldn't feel right if I asked them to allow me to bring her and dirty up their camper. Hence my own rig.
Not new to camping, just new to owning my own.
I'm thinking small, 34-38'?
Pics if you got them.
TIA

Old 03-20-2024, 12:45 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,842 Likes on 2,781 Posts
Toy Haulers are usually quite pin heavy. Even more so when you don't have much in the garage. You'll probably have about 4000 lbs of cargo capacity on your 2024. Take the GVWR of the trailer and 25% of that will be about what your pin weight will be. If you travel with a lot of "stuff" in the cab and the bed that will reduce your cargo capacity further.

ATC makes some fairly light fifth wheel trailers. I like the way they put the trailer together, especially the interior. My only gripe about them is that they aren't going to fare well in cold weather because the tanks and water hoses can freeze up. I spent a good amount of time under a couple of their trailers and it would have been a big job to weatherize the underside for the temperatures I camp at. If you never camp below 32°F then it's not an issue.

There are also bumper pull toy haulers to consider.

Old 03-21-2024, 09:10 AM
HST
Tuned
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
FR also makes the Wolf Pack line. This is one of the shorter ones I have seen, but it has the garage integrated into the Livingroom to save on the overall length. For some, not having a separate garage is a deal breaker.

Cherokee Wolf Pack 320PACK13.5 - Forest River RV (forestriverinc.com)

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-23-2024, 07:48 PM
BadDogPSD
Laughing Gas
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
We have a Momentum 351M that's just under 40' long. Really like it, but it is big & heavy. Do you care if you have a separate garage? We had a bumper pull Desert Fox 24AS before the Momentum and it was nice and very well built, but didn't have a separate garage. I'd definitely consider another Desert Fox, probably the 27FS. ORV is another good brand (Northwoods MFG & ORV are in Oregon) and they make the MTN TRX line of toy haulers. I actually like the layout of the ORV MTN TRX 27 a little better than the Desert Fox 27FS. The bathrooms in the Desert Fox's are a little on the small side.

Old 03-25-2024, 09:26 AM
Log Hog Kust'em
Tuned
Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts
We have a weekend warrior super lite. About 30ft long. does not have a separate garage but will hold my bagger without problem (I assume another bike as well). It has a private bedroom in from and a complete bathroom and small kitchen. It works great for the wife and me and a few dogs. I can take the bike out and have two queen-size beds that lower. It maxes out at 10.8K. Upgraded tires and inverted springs for the taller truck. It's not fancy but we only paid $15K a few years ago. It's a great smaller trailer for smaller campsites with everything we NEED. We are thinking of upgrading to a fifth wheel camper (without the garage) for more lounge space.

The following users liked this post: