1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

todays goings ons

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 05:30 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,253 Likes on 1,921 Posts
Originally Posted by RTT
Salt or whatever they spray on the roads stays after it warms up . Then you drive thru the mush and it goes all over and into everywhere........
Not everyone has a garage.............or a SHOW truck...............ha...............lol.......... .....I got a garage , one side filled with a vintage non-SHOW Mercedes Benz...............but that is a WHOLE different story.............oh my............ha
Mine is far from a show truck just a nice driver that I take to shows.

As for snow, up till 2015 I lived in New England and we got snow and all the bad stuff they put on the roads.
My 02 Durango after snow storms I would hit the car wash where they sprayed the under side.
Think that is why the truck is in as good of shape it is because of the washes.

Down here when they get snow / ice they shut the state down as they dont have the equipment to fight it.
They may spray some of the roads before a storm and that is only on the main roads like I40 / I95 / RT1.
I live on a some what main road, NC210, I have yet to see them do any thing on it for storms.

With in a day or 2 anything that was on the ground is all gone.
Heck I dont even own a snow shovel and the plow for the tractor, I have only used to back blade dirt when they did digging in the yard.
Dave ----

Old 03-13-2024, 12:29 AM
Richard Mechling
Mountain Pass
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Richie the wrench 🔧

Was living in Alabama and that's where I bought my trucks but moved to Cleveland Ohio so to me it's a nightmare for any salt to get on them trucks so I took my diesel truck came down to a friend's house for the winter in mid Georgia. I have three 1986 long beds single cab. Speaking of the fuel tank vent I seen something on this forum about that very thing on my diesel the rear tank takes fuel no problem the front tank gargle and spits it up as if it's full kicks the pump off but I seen the vent hose in there so something's going on with it maybe it's collapsed I'll have to take it apart take a better look and get it working cuz that's a pain in the neck the pump kicking off and going slow.

Old 03-13-2024, 05:08 PM
Max Capacity
Cargo Master
Received 570 Likes on 511 Posts
I have a "HowToo" up top, about replacing the fuel filler hose. It may help you see what's involved with the vent hose. You'll see mine was twisted, but for some reason, I never had any issues filling the tank.

Old 03-13-2024, 05:36 PM
BigBlue2
Cargo Master
Received 624 Likes on 545 Posts
Originally Posted by Max Capacity
I have a "HowToo" up top, about replacing the fuel filler hose. It may help you see what's involved with the vent hose. You'll see mine was twisted, but for some reason, I never had any issues filling the tank.
I remember your post. That vent tube was twisted up good. As long as there isn't a hole in the vent tube allowing it to fill with fuel and blocking air out it will work. At least on the front tank. A twisted up one might not be good for the rear tank which in my experience does not fill as easily as the front. The rear has a long horizontal section. I always use the minimum hook on the autofill pump handle on both tanks. I'm wondering if Ritchie's vent pipe has a hole in it? Could happen with somebody aggressively trying to insert a siphon hose.

Old 03-13-2024, 09:00 PM
Richard Mechling
Mountain Pass
Richie the wrench 🔧

Originally Posted by BigBlue2
I remember your post. That vent tube was twisted up good. As long as there isn't a hole in the vent tube allowing it to fill with fuel and blocking air out it will work. At least on the front tank. A twisted up one might not be good for the rear tank which in my experience does not fill as easily as the front. The rear has a long horizontal section. I always use the minimum hook on the autofill pump handle on both tanks. I'm wondering if Ritchie's vent pipe has a hole in it? Could happen with somebody aggressively trying to insert a siphon hose.
Not quite sure if it has a hole or not in vent on the front tank I just have to Wrench It off and Visually inspect it. Right now cleaning up the battery connections rear wheel cylinders and Brake shoes and hoses and turn the drums on rear.

Old 03-13-2024, 09:02 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,253 Likes on 1,921 Posts
I dont know about the diesel tanks but on the gas the vent hose fits into a "holder" both up top and at the tank.
Top holder

If the hose pulled out at the tank end that could be an issue.
I only had a fill issue 1 time on 1 tank (rear?) and thought the worst.
Then when I got back in the truck and switched between the tanks found the tank was full
No issues since then.
Dave ----

Old 03-13-2024, 09:08 PM
Richard Mechling
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
I dont know about the diesel tanks but on the gas the vent hose fits into a "holder" both up top and at the tank.
Top holder

If the hose pulled out at the tank end that could be an issue.
I only had a fill issue 1 time on 1 tank (rear?) and thought the worst.
Then when I got back in the truck and switched between the tanks found the tank was full
No issues since then.
Dave ----
thanks for the advice I will look into that when I get to that project that may be the problem with the venting as you described I think diesel tank is pretty much the same concerning the fill portion.

Old 03-14-2024, 11:23 AM
BigBlue2
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Richard Mechling
thanks for the advice I will look into that when I get to that project that may be the problem with the venting as you described I think diesel tank is pretty much the same concerning the fill portion.
Yep diesel is the same as gas. At the tank you have a vent tube support:

the tube goes in the top hole. You can see that getting a siphon hose in there is difficult unless it's small diameter.

Up top at the filler door it's like Dave's photo. The vent tube must be on top on both ends.

Old 03-14-2024, 10:01 PM
Richard Mechling
Mountain Pass
Richie the wrench 🔧

Originally Posted by BigBlue2
Yep diesel is the same as gas. At the tank you have a vent tube support:

the tube goes in the top hole. You can see that getting a siphon hose in there is difficult unless it's small diameter.

Up top at the filler door it's like Dave's photo. The vent tube must be on top on both ends.
Yep Dave supplied the picture and also mentioned that somebody siphoning the tank could have ripped the vent tube. So even though I didn't start this thread I found it very helpful so thank you everyone.

Old 03-15-2024, 09:13 AM
BigBlue2
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Richard Mechling
Yep Dave supplied the picture and also mentioned that somebody siphoning the tank could have ripped the vent tube. So even though I didn't start this thread I found it very helpful so thank you everyone.
With all due respect to Dave, It was I that pointed out the possibility of damaging the vent tube while attempting to siphon fuel. It might not have been you that did the damage. Do you have locking gas caps? I don't and once I had just fueled both tanks and then crossed the border into Canada. While parked overnight in Vancouver somebody managed to drain both tanks. That was bad, but to add injury to insult I had to buy fuel in Canada at premium prices. Fortunately the thieves were good, probably used a small hose and even put the caps back on. Many thanks to that scumbag.
​​​​​

The following users liked this post: