Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAD Steering Slop after Shop did Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2024, 10:12 AM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,380 Likes on 1,089 Posts
Which F-250 springs?

Old 02-24-2024, 10:13 AM
soaust
Cross-Country
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by '89F2urd
So I spent a little more time reading the thread after my previous post, and this one stands out to me. Did you check for things loose by yourself? The only real way to check for loose stuff is to have someone go back and forth with the steering wheel while you watch everything. Not back and forth a bunch from the helper, just moving the wheel enough in each direction to initiate change and look for loose parts.

After that, it's on to whether the alignment was done correctly. This doesn't have to be a "complaint" to the shop, but rather a technical, matter-of-fact discussion.
Yeah I had my dad turn wheel back and forth a couple inches and I looked but didn't see anything binding/lagging behind. So Idk, I guess it has to do with alignment. That shop that did it is old school and they have a machine but it's down half the time. Idk if they used a machine or manually did it. They didn't give me a calibration sheet.

Old 02-24-2024, 10:19 AM
soaust
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks
Which F-250 springs?
Moog CC824

Old 02-24-2024, 10:24 AM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,380 Likes on 1,089 Posts
Were they recommended because you wanted lift/level the front? Should have picked softer springs.

Old 02-24-2024, 10:28 AM
soaust
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks
Were they recommended because you wanted lift/level the front? Should have picked softer springs.
I can't really remember. Part of it was to level it out. I watch this guy on Youtube called The Minute Masters, he has a lot of 92-96 repair videos and I think he said to go with them and people on forum posts were saying the same thing I think. But yeah I wish I would have went with softer ones now. Rides way worse than before.

Old 02-24-2024, 10:42 AM
AuroraGirl
Logistics Pro

Received 443 Likes on 390 Posts
Originally Posted by soaust
Yeah I had my dad turn wheel back and forth a couple inches and I looked but didn't see anything binding/lagging behind. So Idk, I guess it has to do with alignment. That shop that did it is old school and they have a machine but it's down half the time. Idk if they used a machine or manually did it. They didn't give me a calibration sheet.
i noticed a couple things. 1) Your alignment situation sounds sketchy, i would get it checked somewhere else just in case. 2) have all steering components with grease fittings been greased? Anytyhing else on your suspension and steerring that take grease?

Old 02-24-2024, 10:47 AM
AuroraGirl
Logistics Pro

I was looking it up and the ecoline series with saginaw pumps used Type F so I drained it best I could and put Type F in. Some people say to run ps fluid in them and others say trans and I think at one point I mixed them.
that could cause it to be a funny color. hows your hoses condition? And what brand type F? supertech type F, not sure about recently, has a reputation for not being a very good type F

Old 02-24-2024, 06:13 PM
soaust
Cross-Country
I took it to another shop today and they said it was pigeon toed a little and could be fighting itself, but they said everything was still in the green. Does that sound right? I just had them check it, didn't have them do an alignment. Would that be causing the wandering steering that I'm feeling? Worth taking it back to original shop and having them fix it?

Old 02-24-2024, 06:22 PM
soaust
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by AuroraGirl
that could cause it to be a funny color. hows your hoses condition? And what brand type F? supertech type F, not sure about recently, has a reputation for not being a very good type F
Yeah it was a brown color before I drained it. I'm not sure of hose condition but I bought a saginaw hose kit so some of them are only 2 years old and the brand is Sueprtech cause that's all Walmart had lol.

i noticed a couple things. 1) Your alignment situation sounds sketchy, i would get it checked somewhere else just in case. 2) have all steering components with grease fittings been greased? Anytyhing else on your suspension and steerring that take grease?
I greased everything after I installed the parts and I tried to oil steering shaft where they connect but didn't make it any better. 2nd shop said everything looked good underneath, minus the pigeon toe.

Old 02-24-2024, 06:26 PM
soaust
Cross-Country
Can't delete this comment. Was trying to make thread easier to read.

Old 02-24-2024, 06:36 PM
AuroraGirl
Logistics Pro

these are for aftermarket

figure 3 as referenced by this chart (applicable to you) is the next image

this is figure 3 as referenced by the previous chart

Old 02-24-2024, 06:47 PM
AuroraGirl
Logistics Pro

Yeah it was a brown color before I drained it. I'm not sure of hose condition but I bought a saginaw hose kit so some of them are only 2 years old and the brand is Sueprtech cause that's all Walmart had lol.

I greased everything after I installed the parts and I tried to oil steering shaft where they connect but didn't make it any better. 2nd shop said everything looked good underneath, minus the pigeon toe.
I personally had very heavy steering with walmart type f
But that was a long time ago, 2 bottle designs ago. I use fram type F now. so its prob not that. but bad hose

there machine is not spitting out the same alignment specs ford has on their little "ranges"

Old 02-24-2024, 07:00 PM
soaust
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by AuroraGirl
I personally had very heavy steering with walmart type f
But that was a long time ago, 2 bottle designs ago. I use fram type F now. so its prob not that. but bad hose

there machine is not spitting out the same alignment specs ford has on their little "ranges"
Does that mean this alignment reading/check is worthless?

At the top of the paper it says,
"Ford: F-100/F-150: 4X2 : 1995: except 1993-95 Lightning
Express Total Alignment"

I just cut it out cause there was a barcode and didn't know what information that might show.

Old 02-24-2024, 07:10 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 383 Likes on 288 Posts
The steering is loose as in you turb the steering wheel a bunch before the wheels actually turn? Or is it a death wobble where the wheels violently jerk back and forth a few inches?

One truck that helps on the solid axle trucks, might work since you have the same basic linkage setup i think. Slightly loosen the connecting sleeves. Roll/tilt one tie rod all the way forward and the other side all the way back. Then tightness everything back up. This helps prevent the linkgae from rolling on its ball sockets when you first turn the steering wheel, eliminating some play in the linkage.

Hope tbis helps.

Old 02-24-2024, 07:17 PM
soaust
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Edgethis
The steering is loose as in you turb the steering wheel a bunch before the wheels actually turn?
Yes, and it was firm before I had the alignment done. There was no slack in the wheel. Now It's really bad around corners, it feels like it's over steering in them. It's hard to explain but something feels wrong. Like the truck is just doing it's own thing sometimes. You would think it would be driving better with all new front end parts. It had original ball joints with 176k miles. Drives worse after replacing. If it was my steering gearbox idk how that would go bad in a day after coming back from the alignment shop so I was hoping it was something else.

I've never done the steering gearbox adjustment where you tighten the nut and it wasn't at a point where I felt like it needed to be tightened, but now all of a sudden after coming back from the alignment shop the steering is bad loose.

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: BAD Steering Slop after Shop did Alignment