Transmission upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2002, 10:23 PM
KKennedy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission upgrades

Hello everyone,

I have a 2000 4X4 Excursion V10, 4.30 gears, nearing the end of its Ford warranty, and it's time to start playing with it. Before beginning engine mods, I am looking to upgrade the trans. I have not seen many shift kits for the 4R100, and was wondering if anyone has had good or bad experiences with any already. If anyone has installed a shift kit, what performance level did you choose, and would you recommend more or less aggresive? I would guess from past experience on other vehicles, with the weight of the Ex, the firmest shift without moving the shift points would be acceptable.

I have doubts whether the Banks electronic "Transcommand" can firm up the shifts as much as I'd like, although that would be a much simpler install (with a hefty pricetag). Anyone have an opinion?

Thanks for your suggestions,

Kevin

Old 04-26-2002, 08:13 AM
KPO
Senior User
Transmission upgrades

I have read that there is a 3 valve V10 coming and a 5R100 trans (5spd.) in the works also. I don't know what the performance numbers are for the 3 valve V10 although it should be better then the 2000 2 valve V10 in my Excursion.

I'm more interested in the new 5-spd trans because the additional gear is supposed to be an extra low 1st or granny gear. If the 5R100 is the same dimensions as the 4R100 then it should just bolt right it with minor changes and a new PCM calibration. Then I could swap out my 4.30 gears for the stock lower ratio and add some larger tires. But, I bet the new 5R100 will not be a direct swap nor will it be affordable purchase from a Ford Dealer.

Old 04-26-2002, 10:04 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Transmission upgrades

The online store [link: motorhaven.autoanything.com|here] has a Diablo Sport transmission valve that will firm up shifts by increasing line pressure. It's cheap.

You can also get a chip for the store and have it customized specifically for transmission shift improvement and not have it affect engine performance.

Both are cheap "shift kits".

Old 05-01-2002, 02:30 PM
odie780
Senior User
Transmission upgrades

Old 05-06-2002, 08:01 AM
spartan1987
New User
Transmission upgrades

Have a trans command on my V10 F350 cc. Tow a 8000 lb. 5er frequently. Big improvement over the stock tranny. Shifts firm up the higher the load or under hevy throttle. Easy install, litle over an hour in the driveway. Headers will be the next mod.

99 F350 V10 CC LB

Old 05-06-2002, 07:32 PM
KKennedy
New User
Transmission upgrades

Thanks for the thumbs up about the TransCommand. That's the unit I would have liked trying, but the price was a little too steep. Last weekend I dropped the pan and put in a Transgo Shift Reprogramming kit. Probably not as good as the TransCommand, but a whole lot cheaper, and well worth the improvement. I wanted to do something since it was due for a fluid change. Now it at least has respectable shifts.

Next, on to the engine mods.....

Kevin