2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Will the modern Super Duty age gracefully

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2023, 10:30 AM
Rwhjr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 784 Likes on 473 Posts
Originally Posted by GAZZILLA
No, personal I don’t like the styling of the “latest generation” 2023 and newer. I don’t like the grills, oversized headlights, oversized fender vents, bed steps, bumper steps or some of the wheels.
it’s not for everyone. New body styles never are.

I for one have grown to like the new look. I will agree some of the grilles aren’t my favorite which is why I swapped mine and think it looks a lot better than before. I think the chrome grilled blend/merge into the headlamps the best so it’s the direction I went and I’m satisfied now.

The side badges I have no complaints ….I think they look nice and fit the large side panels better than the 17-22 versions.

the bedsteps, after using them I wouldn’t trade for a truck without them ever again. They are flat out useful for those of us that use our truck beds. Maybe on some colors they’re not my favorite but again they blend in very well on mine…so I have nothing but good things to say about how useful they are and wouldn’t remove them anymore. My initial reactions to the 23 reveal was that they were horrible. Not so much anymore.

I think as time passes the 17-23+ will age well just as almost every f250/350 has in the past. Much better than the crazy styling some competitors comes out with at times.

the beauty of it is we don’t all like the same things so we’re free to choose as we please!

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-10-2023, 11:20 AM
GAZZILLA
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1,080 Likes on 591 Posts
Rwhjr, yours looks good because all of the things I don’t like blend in with the black paint.
Except those headlight side markers, they remind me of the bulky side shields on safety glasses.

If I had a 2023+ I would put some black tint on those front headlight side markers so they don’t standout so much.

Attached Images  
Old 09-10-2023, 11:26 AM
Rwhjr
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by GAZZILLA
Rwhjr, yours looks good because all of the things I don’t like blend in with the black paint.
Except those headlight side markers, they remind me of the bulky side shields on safety glasses.

If I had a 2023+ I would put some black tint on those front headlight side markers so they don’t standout so much.
The bed steps after having them are real hard to complain about now.

the side markers you can get clear or smoked versions for real cheap. It probably would look good now that you mention it. Harder part is you gotta pop the housing open and reseal them to accomplish that. Not sure what all is involved there.

There’s also that retrofit company you can send you housings off to and they’ll paint the chrome portion in OEM colors etc. from what I’ve seen they do great work but I’m sure it’s a lot more pricey.

Old 09-10-2023, 11:35 AM
GAZZILLA
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1,080 Likes on 591 Posts
Originally Posted by Rwhjr
The bed steps after having them are real hard to complain about now.

the side markers you can get clear or smoked versions for real cheap. It probably would look good now that you mention it. Harder part is you gotta pop the housing open and reseal them to accomplish that. Not sure what all is involved there.

There’s also that retrofit company you can send you housings off to and they’ll paint the chrome portion in OEM colors etc. from what I’ve seen they do great work but I’m sure it’s a lot more pricey.
A tint shop might be able to put tinted film over them. Maybe just have them vinyl wrapped in black.

Old 09-10-2023, 01:18 PM
Charlie98
Tuned
Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts
The '23 is a much better looking truck than my '09 is... at least based on the front end. The '09 was obviously a offspring of one of the Lee sisters... Ugg Lee, Home Lee, Lone Lee... but once you get past the front grille, the sheet metal is not unlike any other recent SD.

Again, compare my '99 to the '09... I think the '99 was a much better looking truck than the '09, but it would look dated against the '23.

I'm still in love with my '99... that was one good looking truck. The day I brought that darling home...

The following 3 users liked this post by Charlie98:
Old 09-10-2023, 02:33 PM
pdumpbody
Mountain Pass
Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Rwhjr
Let’s be honest.

we can talk about how the current trucks are “throwaways” and that they’re going to be “too expensive to upkeep” in 50 years.

But I can count on one hand how many times I’ve seen a well maintained, still operational 50 year old truck still being used and put to work in my entire life. Outside of farm use it’s even more scant.

it’s just never really been the case that trucks last 50 years and still get out to use. And that doesn’t mean they suck. It just means the maintenance gets to be too much and by that time they aren’t as capable as the current versions.

let’s see a show of hands….who is currently using their pristine 1970 model year truck to haul their camper across the country or maybe to haul their excavator to jobs this week??? Anybody using an 1970s pickup to haul 20k lbs next week? Again, outside of short distance farm use I never see it. And if you are I’m sure it has been completely maintenance free to this day lol.

Ironically the trucks some people clamor over as being simple and durable probably required a six figure restoration. After all, there’s a reason most of us are driving 17+ trucks.
Good points. Also with infinite financing and more better culture, we have increased our expectations. But you mentioned farm use, where there is less big government and fewer people financing everything, and in that capacity one _does_ still see old trucks put to good use. You might not see a 50 year old truck every day. But you're going to see them. I know someone with a 34 yr old truck that is very capable. In some ways it is superior to the new trucks. Also I would actually be careful about making fun of those old trucks being maintenance free, sure things were built differently and things break, but you might be surprised. I just don't know that I expect the same longevity from a 2022.

Old 09-10-2023, 04:49 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,768 Likes on 1,338 Posts
You're not gonna see a 2017+ truck on the roads in 50 years. The electronics and modules are going to crap out and you either won't be able to get them, or they will be too cost prohibitive to make.

The following 4 users liked this post by ATC Crazy:
Old 09-10-2023, 05:07 PM
Rwhjr
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy
You're not gonna see a 2017+ truck on the roads in 50 years. The electronics and modules are going to crap out and you either won't be able to get them, or they will be too cost prohibitive to make.
Right but we don’t see a bunch of well running 1970 pickups on a daily basis today either. And they have far less electronics. So the modules don’t have anything to do with it necessarily.

Certainly the increased electronics doesn’t help the case of being around in 50 years, but it’s not the root cause either otherwise, like I said, we would see a bunch of we’ll running 70s vehicles on the streets today.

Capabilities, crash safety, emissions, comfortability, etc have a much bigger hand in play when it comes to the actual timeframe that someone deems a vehicle unworthy of any further maintenance ($$$$).

I mean there will always be a market for people who have the money to restore a classic vehicle and I’m sure people will do just that with the 17+ trucks. It just won’t be the majority of us with the means to do so lol.

Old 09-10-2023, 06:41 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,768 Likes on 1,338 Posts
I do see quite a bit of ‘70s Fords on the roads here. Just my group of friends could host a small truck show in a parking lot.

Old 09-10-2023, 06:55 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Split rims
Ten years old last week….
Last of the steel super duties.

What are you spraying your truck with that it stays black? I used Fluid Film but after driving on gravel roads the underside is brown.

Old 09-10-2023, 07:05 PM
pantera77
Cross-Country
Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Can't stand the 23+, complete reversal of a decent looking truck compared to the 17-22. Reminds me of how awful the 08-10's looked after coming off of arguably the nicest super duty front end ever, the 05-07's.

Who cares what these trucks are like in 50 years, fossil fuels will have long since been banned and most electronic components will have long since failed.

Old 09-10-2023, 07:20 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,456 Likes on 900 Posts
'08-'10 were hideous
'02-'98 Were the best looking Ford trucks bar none.

Old 09-10-2023, 08:07 PM
Vincent_Diesel
Cross-Country
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Some great points about these vehicles in 50 years, specifically speaking about the electric generation moving in. In my state the mandate to sell new electric vehicles begins 2035.

This may require some of us to drive the gassers we have now longer, keeping them in maintained and appreciating the styling of what was once upon a time. If I still have the 2023 during that time that’ll put me be around 12 years. Hope I’m still in love with it by then.

Old 09-10-2023, 09:28 PM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 936 Likes on 737 Posts
If they can do it in Havanan, we can do it here.

Viva la revolution

Old 09-11-2023, 06:05 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 953 Likes on 586 Posts
Originally Posted by pantera77

Who cares what these trucks are like in 50 years, fossil fuels will have long since been banned and most electronic components will have long since failed.
That and many of us will be deader than a can of corned beef.

Quick Reply: Will the modern Super Duty age gracefully