Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Air bag code 23

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 01:25 PM
Xanderificus
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Air bag code 23

New guy here. I came looking for advice on how to get my non-mechanical hands closer to my spark plugs and found that I might be able to get an answer to another question:

I know someone(s) has found an Air Bag Code Table from somewhere and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what code 23 is (and 32, just in case )

It started up a week or so ago and -seemed- to coincide with the death of my horn.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Xander

Old 11-21-2003, 04:37 AM
rlmdad
Senior User
Air Bag Code 23 = Right cowl side panel front air bag sensor circuit input feed/return circuit open

Air Bag Code 32 = Driver side air bag module high resistence or open

Caution, I found these codes while searching other sites for info on my 92 Aerostar 3.0L 2wd A/C auto trans. Can't remember the site but be aware codes may not be for your year. At least you have a place to start.

Currently, my system is sending a code 32 which could be simply a disconnected wire in the steering column..I've read somewhere that adjusting the adjustable steering wheel can cause the connector for both the winshield washer and/or the air bag to come loose. I guess it could also cause the horn connector to loosen as well, although that wasn't mentioned.

I checked my owner's manual and the Air Bag system and the horn are on two separate fuses, so that's not the problem. That is unless you have two fuses blown

I haven't had time to tear into mine as my wife drives the car every day, even on weekends...Also, I'm a little leery of messing with the air bag system after reading all the cautions.

Let me know if this info helps.

Ron

Old 11-21-2003, 09:44 AM
Xanderificus
New User
Originally posted by rlmdad
Air Bag Code 23 = Right cowl side panel front air bag sensor circuit input feed/return circuit open
Good to know. While not a 'good thing', it's at least something that I won't worry about while driving alone. My old car used to use the engine light for all kinds of diagnostic information so I was concerned that the air bag light was trying to tell me something more pressing, like "Beware Imminent Engine Explosion"
Air Bag Code 32 = Driver side air bag module high resistence or open
Yup, I checked last night. It's "23". Thanks, though.
Caution, I found these codes while searching other sites for info on my 92 Aerostar 3.0L 2wd A/C auto trans. Can't remember the site but be aware codes may not be for your year. At least you have a place to start.
Sounds like we have pretty similar models, expect mine is a '93.
Currently, my system is sending a code 32 which could be simply a disconnected wire in the steering column..I've read somewhere that adjusting the adjustable steering wheel can cause the connector for both the winshield washer and/or the air bag to come loose. I guess it could also cause the horn connector to loosen as well, although that wasn't mentioned.
Then again, maybe not an exact match ... my column doesn't adjust.
I checked my owner's manual and the Air Bag system and the horn are on two separate fuses, so that's not the problem. That is unless you have two fuses blown
With "Myron" (my van), anything is possible.
I haven't had time to tear into mine as my wife drives the car every day, even on weekends...Also, I'm a little leery of messing with the air bag system after reading all the cautions.
As would I be, without reading the cautions.
If a 'Luddite' is a non-technological person, what would a non-mechanical person like me?
Let me know if this info helps.
Sure hasn't hurt. Thanks again.
Ron
Xander

Old 11-21-2003, 11:17 PM
rlmdad
Senior User
Xander,

As it's a code 23 have you checked the wiring to the sensor? Could be that the connection has come off thereby opening the circuit. I'd hate for you to be driving along and have the air bag deploy because the connector wires shorted to ground. Besides, it's really annoying to have that air bag light flashing all the time, especially at night.

Ron

Old 11-27-2003, 04:05 PM
b2trausch
Junior User
The fact that your horn died at the same time indicates to me that it could be the clock spring located in the steering column. The clock spring is actually a coil of copper flat wire that makes all the connections to the horn, cruise control, and air bag. I've experienced the same problem on my 95, and this was the fix. New they're about $95. There are some specific procedures that must be followed when removing the air bag. Make sure that you disconnect the battery, and wait at least 10 minutes before removing the air bag assy. The clock spring can be checked with an ohm meter to make sure that this is the problem.