1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Need new turbo, 1.15, 1.0, or 0.84?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2023, 05:09 PM
TucAZ
Cross-Country
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
So that swivel set from HF doesnt have a 15mm, cant beleive I didnt notice that. It goes from 14mm to 16mm, 15 is the only one it skips.

I uses a 3/8 swivel set from harbor freight and cut a combo wrench in half to use with a BF hammer
Could you please specify exactly how you did this?

​​​​​​​ I ended up cutting a box end wrench in half (in retrospect i would have cut a bit closer to the open end instead of directly in half) and then i took a chunk of 3/4" round stock i had laying about, cut a slot in it, and used that to beat on that wrench
My stubby 15mm box wrench only fits on the nut while pressed up against the turbo housing, so it cant turn at all. I'm talking about the drivers side nut here.

Old 10-12-2023, 05:22 PM
Exwhyze
Tuned
Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by TucAZ

My stubby 15mm box wrench only fits on the nut while pressed up against the turbo housing, so it cant turn at all. I'm talking about the drivers side nut here.
I am too. I believe the open end on your stubby wrench is going to be in the way. I ended up throwing my stubby 15mm in a rage and it's still MIA

Edit - if your wrench doesnt have an offset box end it won't work either

Old 10-12-2023, 06:49 PM
TucAZ
Cross-Country
So, did you cut the passenger side up pipe from the top, and the drivers side from under the truck?

Old 10-12-2023, 06:59 PM
Exwhyze
Tuned
Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts
No i got both of them from the top. I tried cutting one of the two from the bottom but i couldnt get that mess out so i had to wedge it in there good and try again. Was not fun. Beat using a hacksaw but was definitely a much bigger mess with some collateral damage i was not happy about.

Just a heads up, be careful of the drivers side fuel fitting on the back of the motor as well as taking your alternator plugs off so you don't damage them leaning over the motor. On my 97 i could not find a replacement and had to teflon tape it and hope for the best after i damaged the poor thing. Had to pull the turbo and DS up pipe again to get at that fitting.. honestly while you got the mess out i'd just look at that fitting there and make sure its tight lol
​​​​​​

Old 10-12-2023, 07:12 PM
TucAZ
Cross-Country
Ive done A LOT of auto work, and I dont see how any of this is possible. My sawzall definitely dosent fit on the drivers side, let alone a hack saw. Just grabbed a different swivel set from homedepot, it doesnt fit, the top part is way too wide.

Old 10-12-2023, 08:42 PM
Harveyearlolstad
Tuned
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
This is my swivel socket for the exhaust collector bottom bolts. It works for me, tricky though. It's not easy, and sometimes stopping and resuming the next day allows you to clear your thoughts. Not sure if this helps you. I have taken off my turbo at least 4 times. One tip, don't tighten the bottom up pipe hardware until everything else is done. That will allow easier access to your pedestal base bolt as the up pipes will have a little play.

Old 10-12-2023, 08:44 PM
Harveyearlolstad
Tuned
Btw, it's a 3/8 drive. U do need a 1/4 drive universal joint for the rear right pedestal bolt if you have the original pedestal base.

Old 10-13-2023, 01:02 AM
White95PSD
Mountain Pass
Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
I did mine from the bottom with combination of swivel, extensions and swivel socket. While on the bottom I had a helper up top holding the socket onto the bolts to keep it in place. With all the flex of the swivels the extra pair of hands keeping the socket in place did the trick. Wasn’t an easy task but worked for me.

best to get the up pipes in if you ever drop the tranny.

worst bolt for me so far was the one that holds the tranny dip stick to side of motor. That both had me saying combinations of words that I’ve never said. Sounded like Joe Pesci from the movie Home Alone.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-13-2023, 10:10 AM
TucAZ
Cross-Country
I went to my buddys house and grabbed some more tools, he is a diesel mechanic, so this stuff is mostly snap-on. He is going to swing by after work today If i cant get that bolt off. One of the tool sets I got from him is a Sunex brand swivel socket set, this just barely fits on there.

What brand swivel is that Harvey? It looks just like the one I snapped like a twig.

Its a new day, and im freshly coffee'd, so lets see if I can gat that damn thing off.

Old 10-13-2023, 10:15 AM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,183 Likes on 963 Posts
I sawed out my old uppipes. No big deal, any filings go out the tailpipe so I would not stress...but yah, can vacuum out as stated.

Old 10-13-2023, 10:19 AM
Harveyearlolstad
Tuned
I'm at work now, but it was a cheap brand. Definitely not snap on or craftmens. If it's the first time cracking those bolts, they will be difficult. Definitely will need a cheater bar on the end of the rachet. I use 3/4" EMT conduit and u can cut to length. I never thought of using a 1/4 drive because I would think the tools would have the strength. But the 1/4 set may sit better in those tight areas.
also, the YouTube videos state to use the 1/4 tools on the rear right pedestal bolt if u have the original pedestal with the ebpv actuator housing. That's the only way u can get that bolt out btw.

Old 10-13-2023, 10:49 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 520 Likes on 253 Posts
Old 10-13-2023, 10:50 AM
TucAZ
Cross-Country
I got it! Heres the winning combo. 1/4" Sunex swivel to 3/8" adapter, to 6" extension, to huge snap-on rachet.

The following 4 users liked this post by TucAZ:
Old 10-13-2023, 03:41 PM
TucAZ
Cross-Country
FInally got that damn thing out, now for the up pipes. The old pipes were definitely leaking, the flange freely moves around on the bolted on up pipes.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-13-2023, 05:27 PM
TucAZ
Cross-Country
Everything is now out, except for the drivers side up pipe, cant squeeze it past the engine and firewall. Tried prying on it but i cant get a good angle on anything.

Quick Reply: Need new turbo, 1.15, 1.0, or 0.84?