1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

1966 F100 "Fred" Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2023, 12:41 PM
dizzyfingers03
Tuned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Grampa69
​​​​​​What brand was the white bed liner? It looks great! I'd like to use white for mine.
https://tcpglobal.com/pages/u-pol-bed-liner

Bright White. It came as a kit with a gun and 2 gals of spray. Worked out pretty well for the long bed. I cleaned the gun so I figured I could use it again maybe.

Old 12-31-2023, 07:00 AM
dizzyfingers03
Tuned
Sorry for the long gap getting an update. I've been busy with a new job and kid things. Anyway....
I've been working on the interior and electrical things now for quite some time. It's not an easy process, but the truck does run and drive under it's own power (it's even got license plates!). I also put the heater box back together.

Dash pad installed.

Heater box before being cleaned and re-assembled

All cleaned up and ready to go again. The blower motor, the mode selector, and the blend door all work! I got really lucky on that.

Nightmare fuel?

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-31-2023, 07:17 AM
dizzyfingers03
Tuned
I ordered a vinyl floor kit for it, but the only piece I received was for the front half of the cab. That's how it was originally, but I knew I wanted it a little nicer inside. So we used some underlayment I had from another interior job and a piece of black vinyl hall-way runner to give it a complete floor. I think it came out pretty nice. That is the original seat. I don't know if it was redone before I bought the truck, but I thought it cleaned up really nice.

Yes, I kept the clutch pedal, yes that it is a B&M shifter. If you squint, it looks like a four on the floor. When I did the interior, I wasn't 100% sold on the automatic. I'm loving it now though.

Boards were just to slide the seat in without damaging the floor.

I did add new seat belts.

Nice touch from the wiring kit I bought, it came with master fuses. I added a disconnect on the negative side of the battery since the truck is likely to sit for long periods of time.

Staring to clean up the wiring under the hood.

I added relays for the fuel pump and accessories. I left provision for a trailer brake controller...if I ever up bothering with one.

Old 12-31-2023, 07:18 AM
Grampa69
More Turbo
Received 195 Likes on 140 Posts
Very impressive. Nice clean up.

Old 12-31-2023, 07:26 AM
dizzyfingers03
Tuned
I had a trailer hitch I salvaged from somewhere. I think it was off a 72. Anyway, I just assumed it would fit. Pro-tip: it does not. I ended up cutting the center out and narrowing it by like 4 inches. The center bolt hole on each side did align correctly and the set-back of the hitch looks great. So since parts for 66 trucks are getting rare, that's an option if you want. I also hated the thin metal safety chain holes, so I added stronger D-rings. I also don't care for those flimsy electrical boxes, so I made up a stronger one and welded it to the hitch. I think it came out pretty nice.

Hitch plates installed for mockup and tack welding.

Welded back together after narrowing center section.

Rear wired up.

Unfortunately the Fed-Ex mark of shame is really pronounced in this picture from the lighting. In most angles it's gone, but I guess my body work wasn't 100%.

Old 12-31-2023, 07:38 AM
dizzyfingers03
Tuned
So since then, it's mostly been tidying up wiring, making all the electrical things work, and tuning the engine/trans. I did get the front/rear glass installed (what a PITA!). It was the original glass, so it's not perfect, but it's nice to keep some things original. I've been struggling with parts availability for door re-assembly, but I think I finally have everything coming now. I still have to clean up and paint the wheels, but it does run and drive very nice. Hopefully this spring I'll get it mostly finished up and start to enjoy it.

Out of the garage, and moving under it's own power for the first time since 1996.

Builder reveal and pictures of first start.

The following 2 users liked this post by dizzyfingers03:
Old 12-31-2023, 07:48 AM
dizzyfingers03
Tuned
I did get a video of it running for the first time. I think this link will work.

Old 12-31-2023, 12:02 PM
RB-1963-F250
Cross-Country
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Nick, Fred the truck looks great! I sure do wish my sheetmetal was as nice as yours.
It looks like you did a nice clean job on the rewire.

Quick question: Where did you get the vinyl for the firewall? That looks great.

Rick, owner of Krusty McKab.

Old 12-31-2023, 12:26 PM
Grampa69
More Turbo
Received 195 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by RB-1963-F250
Times 2! Where did you get that inside firewall piece shown in black?

You're doing a great job on that truck!

Old 12-31-2023, 02:37 PM
KO1960
Laughing Gas
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Nice work! I really like the paint color dents and all.

Old 12-31-2023, 02:44 PM
dizzyfingers03
Tuned
Originally Posted by RB-1963-F250
Nick, Fred the truck looks great! I sure do wish my sheetmetal was as nice as yours.
It looks like you did a nice clean job on the rewire.

Rick, owner of Krusty McKab.
That was LMC truck if you can believe it. I won't say it was an easy install though. I think I fought with it for several hours to get it looking right. Thanks for the compliments.

Old 01-01-2024, 09:11 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,136 Likes on 1,818 Posts
Nice job and what is even better is you can say you did everything.

I did a 4 year cab off frame rebuild (mostly off like you LOL) of my 81 F100 flare side only difference is I know how to do body work and paint.
After a few shows I took the truck to, was not built to show but to drive, and asked who did the work I had this made up and mounted to the front bumper.

Again nice job
Dave ----

Old 01-01-2024, 01:15 PM
RB-1963-F250
Cross-Country
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by dizzyfingers03
That was LMC truck if you can believe it. I won't say it was an easy install though. I think I fought with it for several hours to get it looking right. Thanks for the compliments.
Nice. I just ordered a rubber floor mat from LMC, but didn't notice this offering.
I'll assume these are expensive as a floor mat was about $240 shipped.

Rick

Old 01-01-2024, 01:19 PM
dizzyfingers03
Tuned
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
Nice job and what is even better is you can say you did everything.

I did a 4 year cab off frame rebuild (mostly off like you LOL) of my 81 F100 flare side only difference is I know how to do body work and paint.
After a few shows I took the truck to, was not built to show but to drive, and asked who did the work I had this made up and mounted to the front bumper.

Again nice job
Dave ----
Thanks. I make NO claims to being good at paint and body. LOL.

Old 01-15-2024, 02:49 PM
dizzyfingers03
Tuned
Well I finally gave up on finding any aftermarket seals for the vent window glass decided to just use the weather stripping glue. It turned out OK I guess. It's certainly better than nothing. I wasn't really happy with the frame spinner repair kits, but they're all you can buy short of brand new vent window assemblies. And those were slightly out of budget. I put the doors back together and installed the mirrors. I bought some cheapo kits for the frames and splurged on truck-lite for the actual mirrors. I wish truck-lite made frames too, but I couldn't find them. I had to modify the frames a bit to fit a '66 but I think they came very good. They're not super stable (not that ANYTHING for these trucks is). So I'll reserve final judgement until I drive it. Finally, I started prepping the dash for the new instrument cluster.

If you want to take them apart, just work the frame away from the glass (I used a screw driver) and it will eventually pop out.

re-assembled with seals and glue. The fitment of the replacement pivot pin as not very good. Note the new divider in the background. Those took FOREVER to find and ship in.

Driver done.

Windows go up and down nicely.

I think they look pretty good.

Here's a close up where I bent the top frame piece down at the end to actually meet the bi-pod mount. I had to mount the mirror one hole over, but that doesn't seem to be an issue.

Painted the dash insert before the gages.

Quick Reply: 1966 F100 "Fred" Build