6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Scored a great deal on Motorcraft fuel filters

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 06:20 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,442 Likes on 4,691 Posts
Originally Posted by HRTKD
I'll agree that there are differences between the two filters. Are the differences enough to be a problem? I don't know. In the picture above, it would be good to get a inner and outer diameter measurement. The "fake" filter seems to have a thicker nozzle, which might be a good thing as long as the outer diameters are the same (so the hose fits right).
Sure, if and a big IF, you trust that filter... because I sure as hell do not... do yourself a favor and search EBay for FD4615 and look for the fllter sets that are 27 to 30ish dollars, including shipping, and the country of origin is China. And they look just like the fake filter pics I posted.

Old 07-24-2023, 06:27 PM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,511 Likes on 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Overkill2
Yep... Chiavetta's is okay... I just used Italian dressing and some meat seasoning as the meat marenaded overnight. My uncle had an old school similar sauce that contained egg as well to coat the chicken halves but my late Dad, love ya buddy, tweaked my uncle's sauce, miss ya too Uncle Jim, with apple juice.... I'd take my Dad's chicken over Chiavetta's anyday...
Family home made always beats mass produced.

Thanks for all the pictures.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-24-2023, 06:50 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,458 Likes on 902 Posts
That's some good detective work there Dave. Like they say... The devil's in the details.

Old 07-24-2023, 06:54 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Sure, if and a big IF, you trust that filter... because I sure as hell do not... do yourself a favor and search EBay for FD4615 and look for the fllter sets that are 27 to 30ish dollars, including shipping, and the country of origin is China. And they look just like the fake filter pics I posted.
My big concern does the water block media really perform as a water block. I remember during the 6.0PSD days there was a time when injector failures were common which was about the time the aftermarket filters hit the scene. The one big gap that the AM filters had was no water block media on their filters.

Old 07-24-2023, 07:15 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by scraprat
Family home made always beats mass produced.
Thanks for all the pictures.
Yes sir... and you're welcome...

Originally Posted by FishOnOne
That's some good detective work there Dave. Like they say... The devil's in the details.
Thanks... Just trying to be a team player and pass on information. I'm paying it forward... there's plenty of info I've picked here before...

My big concern does the water block media really perform as a water block. I remember during the 6.0PSD days there was a time when injector failures were common which was about the time the aftermarket filters hit the scene. The one big gap that the AM filters had was no water block media on their filters.
Even Donaldson does not have the water block media on their DFCM filter.

Last edited by Overkill2; 07-24-2023 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Add to post
Old 07-25-2023, 05:30 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by HRTKD
I'll agree that there are differences between the two filters. Are the differences enough to be a problem? I don't know. In the picture above, it would be good to get a inner and outer diameter measurement. The "fake" filter seems to have a thicker nozzle, which might be a good thing as long as the outer diameters are the same (so the hose fits right).
So I put a micrometer on the outside of the male fitting part of the filter and the ring used to lock it into place. they are in the ball park. I'll also do the inner part of the fitting, or nozzle, as well. I'm going to look at the second set I have from dieselfiltersonline also. If I didn't see those chinese filters on EBay, I would think that these are possibly from a different vendor also. But what I have from dieselfiltersonline is the same as the set I saw at the local dealer I went to. I'll post more info if I come across it. I saw a sell pack of 5 sets of FD4615s on Amazon in a single box. But it had a Ford sticker on the outside. I'll post it when I find it again...

Here's that pack...

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Overkill2; 07-25-2023 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Add to post
Old 07-25-2023, 07:12 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Here's a post from EBay with a pic of what I believe are fakes with another pic of what appears to be a legit set. So which one do you get when you buy? At $27.99 with free shipping and the option to throw out an offer, I'd say you get the fake set.

Fake pic

Real (at least appears to be) pic

There's no way someone can afford to sell a legit OEM set of the Motorcraft FD4615 for that cheap and still make money. IMHO, these guys here in the US selling this Chinese made crap to their fellow Americans are s**M B**gs.

Old 07-26-2023, 01:16 PM
acdii
Logistics Pro
Received 2,039 Likes on 1,384 Posts
Well now I know for sure that the 17+ filter set I got from Amazon was legit. The upper filter matches the one in the pics. I think the visual tell on both is how the part number is on them. The real ones are etched, the fakes are printed. I was a bit skeptical on the upper filter due to the poor mold lines, but seeing them side by side, it's just how they all look.

Old 07-26-2023, 01:36 PM
JoeUser
Pusher of String

Received 363 Likes on 251 Posts
I'm going to closely examine the fuel filters I received from Woot when I get home from work, for sure. The photos and descriptions are a YUGE help, many thanks!

Old 07-26-2023, 07:23 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by JoeUser
I'm going to closely examine the fuel filters I received from Woot when I get home from work, for sure. The photos and descriptions are a YUGE help, many thanks!
No problem... you Alumina Duty guys are on your own as I have no clue on those filters... I have bought FD4615 sets before from Amazon that were legit. They looked just like the legit set from dieselfiltersonline. I'd have no problem buying that 5 pack from Amazon for 300 bucks and free shipping. But can't afford it now and I also have two sets on hand. That's a good price, with the free shipping, since the dealer wanted $130 dollars for the set. I'll return that set soon to Amazon...

Old 07-26-2023, 07:28 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Here's a post from EBay with a pic of what I believe are fakes with another pic of what appears to be a legit set. So which one do you get when you buy? At $27.99 with free shipping and the option to throw out an offer, I'd say you get the fake set.

Fake pic

Real (at least appears to be) pic

There's no way someone can afford to sell a legit OEM set of the Motorcraft FD4615 for that cheap and still make money. IMHO, these guys here in the US selling this Chinese made crap to their fellow Americans are s**M B**gs.
The FBI should crack down on these counterfeit thieves. These type of crappy products not only hurts the consumer but the actual OEM/company.

Old 07-26-2023, 07:35 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

The FBI should crack down on these counterfeit thieves. These type of crappy products not only hurts the consumer but the actual OEM/company.
I agree Troy... I was actually thinking the same thing... why EBay would allow this stuff to happen, especially when it says China for country of origin... for a Made in the USA part like the FD4615 set my truck uses...

Old 07-27-2023, 06:15 AM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 618 Likes on 384 Posts
The FBI doesn't even crack down on actual crime unless it's politically motivated. Good luck with that pipe dream.

But if you're a parent you'd better think twice before speaking up about how the leftist controlled education system indoctrinates your kids, or the FBI will be all over you.

Carry on.

The following 6 users liked this post by ToMang07:
acdii, BadDogPSD, helifixer, jollyrogr, Overkill2, Rich1961 and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-27-2023, 07:53 AM
JoeUser
Pusher of String

Received 363 Likes on 251 Posts
I examined the fuel filters I received from Woot, and they appear legit to me. The secondary filter has the raised part numbers (not stamped in ink), and as far as I can tell from the genuine ones I replaced previously, the primary filter looks jake. Labels and stickers on packaging looks legit as well.

For something as important as they are to the operation of my truck, I'm going to continue to be vigilant, for sure...

The following 2 users liked this post by JoeUser:
Old 07-27-2023, 10:13 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by ToMang07
The FBI doesn't even crack down on actual crime unless it's politically motivated. Good luck with that pipe dream.

But if you're a parent you'd better think twice before speaking up about how the leftist controlled education system indoctrinates your kids, or the FBI will be all over you.

Carry on.
Yupp... but we talk of such things in the Club...

And when it comes to EBay, like anything else, it's about $$$...

Last edited by Overkill2; 07-27-2023 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Add to post

Quick Reply: Scored a great deal on Motorcraft fuel filters