Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 F-150 4.9l 4WD Rebuild Pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2023, 02:14 PM
Will_H
4wd Low
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hit Man X
Verify you also have the seven blade fan blade. More air flow is a happier engine and cooler AC at low speeds.
I'm also restoring a 4.9L, mine is an 89 F-250...looks like LMC has the 7 blade fans but they list them as F- Series 93-96 (link), anyone know if the size or mounting bolt pattern changed in 93 or if it would still fit an 89 4.9L?

SlimReaper- Great job! That frame looks really clean and good luck on the remainder of the project.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-28-2023, 02:18 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,193 Likes on 972 Posts
I installed the seven bladed on a '92 with the five blade originally. No issues.

Old 07-31-2023, 02:57 PM
SlimReaper
5th Wheeling
Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug6
Would you post your tire size, brand and pics. I'm getting ready to get a 1991 5.0 on the road. Like your work. You did way more work than I did.
These are the tires on it now, don't know what im going back with yet.

Old 07-31-2023, 03:05 PM
SlimReaper
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Will_H
I'm also restoring a 4.9L, mine is an 89 F-250...looks like LMC has the 7 blade fans but they list them as F- Series 93-96 (link), anyone know if the size or mounting bolt pattern changed in 93 or if it would still fit an 89 4.9L?

SlimReaper- Great job! That frame looks really clean and good luck on the remainder of the project.
I ordered my 7 blade fan from rockauto, they also only had the 7 blade starting in 93, hasn't got here yet but the bolt holes looked the same, ill let you know if i have problems. Hitman X hasn't lead me wrong yet tho. My buddy is restoring a 92 right now and swapped his fan from a 95 and it bolted right on.

Thanks, sandblasting that thing was a job.

The following 2 users liked this post by SlimReaper:
Old 09-05-2023, 12:32 PM
SlimReaper
5th Wheeling

11" LUK Clutch, Master, & Slave Cylinder from rockauto.com

The following 3 users liked this post by SlimReaper:
Old 11-06-2023, 10:07 AM
SlimReaper
5th Wheeling
Sorry it's been awhile since I posted. Been busy, the body took a lot more than I was expecting but finally got it done. Got all the dents worked out, replaced both doors off of a 95'. 3 coats 2k high build, 1 coat black epoxy sealer, 3 coats base, 2 coats clear (all Omni brand from the local parts store).

All plastic I cleaned and painted with Duplicolor vinyl Burgundy paint. Sound dampening material and new vinyl flooring from rockauto. The silver box in the floor behind the shifter is ss flush mounted cup holders, the box is bolted in from the top and can be removed out of the way to pull the tranny, still have to build the cup holder insert. I wanted to keep the bench seat and i didn't want a console sitting on the seat either so i improvised. The headlights I found on ebay, not much to choose from aftermarket for these yrs but I like the new look a lot. The original headlights on these trucks made it ugly to me with the huge orange reflectors on the side. Still got a ways to go but def coming along.

Old 11-17-2023, 01:41 AM
EVO-2022
Cross-Country
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
She's coming along quite nicely Slim 👍🏻
One thing I have never understood with these trucks is the difference between the interiors with the American and the Australian models i.e. the dash setup. Where you have the 8th gen ours has the 7th gen set up in a 8th gen, go figure.
Keep up the good work mate

Old 11-18-2023, 08:10 AM
DPDISXR4Ti
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Interesting to follow this thread as I have pretty much the same truck in the same color (except mine's 2WD and 8-foot bed). Here's some of the stuff I've done which you might want to consider...
3G alternator
Saginaw PS pump
Closed-bowl distributor w/ remote TFI
Bucket seats using factory seat tray

Other things we've both done...
31x10.5 tires
11" clutch

Things you've done that I should do...
Paint!
Replace radiator support

Look forward to seeing the progress.

Old 11-30-2023, 08:51 AM
SlimReaper
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by DPDISXR4Ti
Interesting to follow this thread as I have pretty much the same truck in the same color (except mine's 2WD and 8-foot bed). Here's some of the stuff I've done which you might want to consider...
3G alternator
Saginaw PS pump
Bucket seats using factory seat tray

Other things we've both done...
31x10.5 tires
11" clutch

Things you've done that I should do...
Paint!
Replace radiator support

Look forward to seeing the progress.
I have the 3G alternator upgrade on my list for sure. Im gonna look into that PS pump & distributor, I appreciate the info cause I haven't been happy with either. I went back and forth on seats and I do like bucket seats but i've decided to keep the bench, keep it as oldschool as i can, just gonna reupholster and let it bump. I put the 4" lift on it so I plan on goin up to a 33x12.5 tire, tires are very last on the list though. Gonna start building my bumpers in about 2 weeks. I'll go ahead and tell you body and paint were the worst part of this whole project, I honestly dont think i'll ever paint another vehicle myself lol. Paint's not perfect but for me and my buddy (an electrician & a welder who has never painted a whole truck) I think it came out great.

Old 03-27-2024, 11:31 PM
Quicksilver8402
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some more to go.

Originally Posted by SlimReaper
I have the 3G alternator upgrade on my list for sure. Im gonna look into that PS pump & distributor, I appreciate the info cause I haven't been happy with either. I went back and forth on seats and I do like bucket seats but i've decided to keep the bench, keep it as oldschool as i can, just gonna reupholster and let it bump. I put the 4" lift on it so I plan on goin up to a 33x12.5 tire, tires are very last on the list though. Gonna start building my bumpers in about 2 weeks. I'll go ahead and tell you body and paint were the worst part of this whole project, I honestly dont think i'll ever paint another vehicle myself lol. Paint's not perfect but for me and my buddy (an electrician & a welder who has never painted a whole truck) I think it came out great.
​​​​​​
well, I was there to help you on the first 3/4 of that build kw, where's the rest??? It's been a few months and I'm hoping to see some updates. D.C.

Old 04-08-2024, 12:24 PM
SlimReaper
5th Wheeling
Sorry it's been so long, been working on building bumpers a little at a time on the weekends. Here's a sneak peak but I'll post some good pics once i get them mounted. Planning on sandblasting and painting them this weekend. Then its on to wheels, tires, wheel bearings, and flushing and refilling the axles. She's almost done. I see you DC, yours is still lookin good, ready to see it with some new rims and tires.

9500lb Rough Country hidden winch

30" Rough Country Blackout Light Bar

I don't have a picture but I have 2 Rough Country cube flush mounts cut in on both sides, gonna have shackle mounts on both the front and back.

Recess license plate

Old 04-08-2024, 12:35 PM
SlimReaper
5th Wheeling
I was planning on replacing the whole truck with LED lights but i've been having some issues with it. I tried some 9004 led's that were suppose to be plug n play but when i turn the lights on my truck starts missing, its very strange and I don't understand how the light circuit could do that. I should of done more research but I couldn't find anybody online thats done it on these model trucks so I figured I would just try it. I'm kind of over it now and i'm fine with the original lights, I don't want to have to worry about electrical issues but I am curious if anybody has been successful with swapping or has had the same issue. I figure with the bumper lights i've added i'll be able to see anything I want to see at night anyway lol.

Old 04-08-2024, 12:38 PM
SlimReaper
5th Wheeling
[QUOTE=DPDISXR4Ti;21038258]Interesting to follow this thread as I have pretty much the same truck in the same color (except mine's 2WD and 8-foot bed). Here's some of the stuff I've done which you might want to consider...
3G alternator
Saginaw PS pump

Can you or somebody point me to the right 3G alternator and harness I need, and how much modifying on the bracket is it gonna take?
Also, what are the benefits of the Saginaw PS Pump and distributor w/ remote TFI?

Old 04-08-2024, 12:46 PM
Quicksilver8402
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bumper...

Wow, that thing looks mean on there. Can't wait to see it painted. I've got to do a 2000 dollar rebuild on transmission. Driving my Yukon for now. More comfortable for a daily driver ne ways. But the rebuild, wheels and tires are coming. Got offered 3500 for it. Ummm no... Lol

Old 04-08-2024, 04:57 PM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,193 Likes on 972 Posts
I just picked up a 130A 3G from Cockauto from a 1995 4.9, bolts right into OG bracket. I had to change the upper bolt, the 2G was chucked into the recycle tub. Make your own harness or grab off a truck with a factory 3G.

Saginaw PS pump is much more robust and silent. You need a bracket off a van with a 4.9 (difficult to find), the old Cardone one (NLA), or that joint that uses a C2 with Saginaw guts. 100% recommend, I have it on my '92 4.9 and my '88 5.0.

Remote TFI stays cooler. Believe it started in 1992, my 01/92 has it.

Quick Reply: 1990 F-150 4.9l 4WD Rebuild Pics