Straight piped 2.3

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 04:57 PM
Redneck-Cowboy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Straight piped 2.3

How would a 2.3 Ranger sound w/ a 2 or 2 1/2 straight pipe exiting in front of the back tire w/ a 3 1/2 tip.?

Redneck Cowboy

Old 11-28-2003, 05:23 PM
jessfactor
Elder User
like a wet dinosaur fart

Old 11-28-2003, 06:17 PM
Redneck-Cowboy
Elder User
Interesting?

Old 11-28-2003, 10:51 PM
jessfactor
Elder User
i really dont kno.....but given the displacement, or lack there of, thats what i would imagine it to sound like. you'll never get a 2.3 to sound like it has muscle. you could put a coffee can on there and make it sound like a ricer. i would personally just leave it stock, maybe tamper with the intake a bit, thats what i do.

Old 11-29-2003, 06:34 PM
94rangerprerunner
Freshman User
Absolutely do not straight pipe it! I dropped my muffler out in the desert, and by time I fixed(about a couple of weeks) and welded the pipe and muffler back together, I began to burn oil. I continued to burn more and more oil to the point of my engine finally ceasing, because the piston rings had burned from not enough backpressure. So I enventually lost all compression in the engine and all power. It sounded pretty gnarly at first, but then began to sound like crap. My buddy took off his muffler and has had no problems at all. Just get a flowmaster muffler and a high flow cat, or some other type of performance muffler. It will sound pretty good.

Old 11-30-2003, 06:59 PM
Redneck-Cowboy
Elder User
Well it already takes a ton of oil, I've had a straight pipe on my 300-6 for almost 2 years w/ no probs. I'm gonna get rid of the cats no matter what. I wonder how just a glass pack would sound.

Redneck-Cowboy

Old 12-01-2003, 06:01 PM
hyepwrd
Senior User
i would drop the cat-back from a bolted connection (if there is one) and see what it would sound like. I'm with you, and would want to try straight first...if that didn't work, glasspacks would be your best bet.
another option is leaving the cats and going straight back from then back. the cats would give it a bit of a muffle effect.

i'm very curious as to how it would sound also. i had a v6 and i hate all aftermarket v6 mustang sounds, so i wanted to do one of the above to it...decided to sell it before i got around to it. tried to take off the catback but it was stuck together at the union. i'm guessing that it was because the pipes were cold and it needed to be heated to expand the metal or something. i pulled and banged has hard as i could

Old 12-01-2003, 06:02 PM
hyepwrd
Senior User
and that whole backpressure deal with oil burning just doesn't sound right at all. it might just be coincidental. backpressure is only a factor in the exhaust stroke and i dont see it possible.

Old 12-01-2003, 08:15 PM
Redneck-Cowboy
Elder User
Yeah that's the prob. This all basically has to be cut off w/ the torch, either in front or in back of the cats. It isn't like I'm out a whole bunch if I try striaght first, I do mostly all mechanical work myself, including exhaust so it'll come to the grand total of $15 and I'll just cut it in half to put on a muffler or something.

Redneck-Cowboy

Old 12-02-2003, 12:29 AM
94rangerprerunner
Freshman User
My mechanic told me that most likely my muffler dropping, and me taking it off for a couple weeks was a good possible reason for my engine burning the piston rings, and the engine losing 60-70% of the compression throughout the engine. Throw a glasspack on it, it will sound about the same as having no muffler, but you will still have some backpressure.

Old 12-02-2003, 07:41 PM
Redneck-Cowboy
Elder User
There no way you could loose all that compression from losin your muffler. Something else went wrong, I think your mechanic just needed something to blame it on.

Redneck Cowboy

Old 12-02-2003, 09:24 PM
hyepwrd
Senior User
Originally posted by Redneck-Cowboy
There no way you could loose all that compression from losin your muffler. Something else went wrong, I think your mechanic just needed something to blame it on.

Redneck Cowboy
yup. if your pistons can deal with the compression stroke (the highest pressure on rings), the exhaust stroke (the least pressure on rings) is moot.

Old 12-02-2003, 09:26 PM
hyepwrd
Senior User
by the way, i know what a prerunner is (tacoma) but whats a ranger prerunner?

Old 12-03-2003, 11:57 PM
94rangerprerunner
Freshman User
A prerunner's a truck that runs the track before a race, or it's a truck thats just about as modifed as a race truck.

Old 12-19-2003, 04:04 AM
jmoo8508
New User
when i got my ranger 2.3 it had a flowmaster with no cat and the hangers broke and i dragged my flowmaster off on the interstate and ran for about 2 months with no muffler or cat right off the headers where they come into one pipe and it sounded pretty good idling and when you were at mid-high rpms but sounded like crap when you were takin off... everybody said it sounded like a tractor when i was takin off... but i heard that it will burn up your exhaust valves...

Quick Reply: Straight piped 2.3