Sponsored by: Moser

1975 F250 Frame Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2023, 11:11 PM
panterazacc
Tuned
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
1975 F250 Frame Swap

Hello, ready to start my next project- trying to execute swapping a 1975 F250 onto a 2014 F150 frame. Just finished my last project and have the bug to do another. I purchased the F250 from my buddy. It has sat at his dad's house for 15 years. Not too much rust; none in the cab corners and none at the cab mounts. Small spots on each front fender and big spots over the rear wheel wells. Has a 460. The F150 I purchased from Copart. Once I fixed the front suspension and tested it, it drives just fine. Anyone have any experience with this type of swap? Any pictures to share? I've looked through some threads. Trying to gather as much info as possible before I dig right in. I would love to, one day, take the family camping with this truck.

Wound be fun to get the fam in this.

Just finished up my last truck, ready for more.

This is my good side!

Had to pull out the dent in the door to get the window back in the track.
Thank you!

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-11-2023, 11:14 PM
panterazacc
Tuned

I'm sure my neighbors love me...

Always wanted a coyote in an old truck! 90k. Oil pan is leaky, but otherwise purrs like a kitten.

Old 06-12-2023, 10:16 AM
uzikaduzi
Tuned
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
these are the type of threads i come here for! are you thinking of stretching the frame on the 14 or shortening then bed on the 75?

Old 06-12-2023, 11:22 AM
panterazacc
Tuned
Originally Posted by uzikaduzi
these are the type of threads i come here for! are you thinking of stretching the frame on the 14 or shortening then bed on the 75?
That is a great question. My initial thought was to shorten the bed on the '75, which I think will help me delete that gas cap next to the cab. But it would be kinda cool to keep the '75 that length. I was going to get them side by side and take some measurements of the body to see where the cab/bed might sit. I will post plenty of pictures, whether I'm embarrassed of what I did or not.

Old 06-12-2023, 11:55 AM
uzikaduzi
Tuned
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I love the longer beds, but the frame sectioning intimidates me way more than shortening a bed.

i have a 75 SC 250 as well... i wish it was 4wd and your approach maybe an option i had not considered. i kind of want to go the battle born brake's kit, but when i do the math, it's going to be like 7-8k for all the parts i need just to get super duty axles underneath not including a T-case and driveshaft. i just looked it up and it looks like there are quite a few 155" wheelbase trucks ford made(s)

Old 06-12-2023, 02:33 PM
panterazacc
Tuned
Totally. I was shopping Copart for F250s, but they were quite a bit out of my price range. A bunch of extended cabs with the 145" wb were being sold, and cheaper than the crew cabs. The battle born stuff is awesome.

Last edited by panterazacc; 06-12-2023 at 02:37 PM. Reason: wrong wb
Old 06-12-2023, 09:37 PM
Greaser007
Laughing Gas
Received 226 Likes on 191 Posts
I have been burdened by "fleet maintenance" and cannot start a new project, so I am Jealous. hahaha

What makes the engine a Coyote ?
Was it a special order option in a F150 ?

Myself, I wouldn't hesitate to stretch a frame using good welding practices and a fish plate, but I wouldn't weld entirely around the fish plate. _ _ just me.

When I moved to Fortuna, Ca., on the Pacific Coast in 1998, there was a guy with a '76 longbed CrewCab pickup F250 4x4.
One day I got a chance to speak with him, and he said the frame was stretched (the F250 4x4 pickups were shortbed's).

I don't know a thing about Copart, and may be a good thing or my wife would skin me alive if I drug home another Ford.
When I was building my '77 Crewcab in 1996, I didn't have internet yet, so sourced parts from local Trader Papers and wrecking yards or word of mouth referrals.
I had a F250 '77 shortbed 2wd Crewcab. Alas, upon driving 130-miles for a rear door, the guy sold me a '77 F350 Crew cab and chassis 2wd which were longbed.
Wound up using the F350 chassis and converted to 4x4 using '79 Dana 60 front w/ disc brakes, and the no-cancer cab off of the F250 shortbed.
That pickup build was completed in 1998, and still enjoy it today. Geeze-Louise it is a Long-sucker. hahaha

Did you source your new suspension components new from dealer or recycle yards ?

I'll be watching your progress, and Congratulations.

Old 06-13-2023, 06:45 PM
panterazacc
Tuned
Greaser! Good to see you in these later model threads. The Coyote is just the later model 5.0L. I think quite a few of the F150s have them. They sound good and are easy to mod so I can make sure I'm not late for work and can tow my trailer up I-70. I, unfortunately, have RockAuto suspension parts. My sister, who co-owns a mechanic shop, started giving me crap about making sure I put genuine OE parts in there and was going to order some for me. Then I didn't hear from her for a couple of weeks and needed to get parts on the truck so I could move it so I went the RockAuto route. Now she teases me for that!
That F350 of yours is rad, so cool that you still have it after all this time. That is a lot of truck, ha!

Old 07-03-2023, 09:52 PM
panterazacc
Tuned

Finally had time to pick up the truck from my buddy's dad's place. Needed the CAT to move this massive thing.

I got the 460 to turn over and run for a second. Did not want to spend too much time playing with it since I'm selling it. If you're in Colorado and need a 460 and C6 I'll sell it to you cheap, just use the code FTEsummer23...

Here's some walk around pics. I'm scared to see what's under here...

Bummer

I like the 2-tone carpet...

I wanted to build a supercab next so I can get the whole family in it and camp.

Old 07-03-2023, 09:54 PM
panterazacc
Tuned

More walk around pics...

I've got some work to do

Old 07-03-2023, 09:56 PM
panterazacc
Tuned

The wife was kind enough to give up most of her day to help me take this thing apart.

Why doesn't coolant go everywhere but the catch pans?

Old 07-03-2023, 09:59 PM
panterazacc
Tuned

This is one heavy set-up

Just a couple of small spots to fix inside.

I lied about the cab corners not being rusty...

Whoever put this here should have to go around cleaning this up. This stuff is sticky and it sucks!

Old 07-03-2023, 10:05 PM
panterazacc
Tuned

I used the cherry picker for the front and then two of us could lift from the back of the cab. There has got to be a better way. I'll need to get creative since I don't really have the space for a lift.

I'll get the bed another day, that was a lot work. The frame, PS box, front suspension, rear axle are for sale as well. If you're in CO I'll give you a smoking deal to come get this out of my driveway...

Old 07-03-2023, 10:14 PM
panterazacc
Tuned
After camping season I'll get the white truck back home and start taking measurements. I think I'm gonna keep the WB from the F150, so I'll shorten the bed about 10". I'll probably also keep the bulkhead of the f150 as well. Undecided for the dash. Looks like it'd be a pain to keep the OG dash, but I'll get the interior apart later in august and see.

Old 07-04-2023, 04:48 PM
black & blue 78/9
Laughing Gas
Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Panterazacc....pm sent

Quick Reply: 1975 F250 Frame Swap