Sponsored by: Moser

ZF Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2023, 08:07 PM
78Camper!
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZF Swap

I've read many threads about ZF swaps but none that really address my questions. Close but, not quite.
I have a 1978, F-350, Camper Special currently with a NP 435 backing up a 400M. It's only 2WD and all the threads I read are about 4WD, Broncos and swaps with 460CID's. In this case, I'm staying with the 400M (a special built 400M) and would like to add another gear just to save the old motor making it more highway friendly. From what I gather a ZF for 87-92 for 2WD would be the answer but, all the talk I find is putting this combo into a Bronco with a divorced t-case. Obviously I'm not going this route.

Question:
What is the combination I'm looking for to make this swap? Can I use the same flywheel, pressure plate, bell housing and find a 12" clutch with a spline to match the ZF trans? Or, am I looking at some special machining and custom parts/adapters? (If so, what are they?) I'm willing to fit a hydraulic clutch if necessary. Reason? If I pass this truck down, I'd like the next person to be able to easily source repair parts.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 04-28-2023, 12:12 PM
cwegga
Tuned
Received 205 Likes on 129 Posts
The ZF has an integral bellhousing so there isn't much choice there. Most people use the hydraulic clutch because it's better and what the ZF is designed for, but it may be possible to use a mechanical clutch with the 460 version of the ZF since it has an external slave cylinder. You most likely want the pedal box, and transmission crossmember out of the donor truck to make the install easier. You will want to reinforce the firewall to stand up to the force of the hydraulic clutch since the old trucks weren't built for that stress. I'm not sure if there are any differences in flywheel etc. If you don't have the knowledge and skills to scab something together something like the TMeyer kit may be needed. https://www.tmeyerinc.com/product/zf...n-adapter-kit/ I'm not sure if there is a difference for 4x4 or 2wd with that. I'd think not since those differences should be on the other end of the transmission.

Old 04-28-2023, 12:38 PM
78Camper!
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cwegga thanks. I've contacted Tmeyer waiting on a response. Through my reading the 2WD version of the ZF is made to mount directly to the crossmember where the 4WD version in some cases is married to the T-case. Also, the 2WD would be more plentiful as the other is more sought after.
With the TMeyer: I can see where that would solve the flywheel spacing issue but now, what pilot bushing, which clutch... I cannot find any info on what else I need to plan/look for; do I use the 460 internal balanced or 400M flywheel. I'm thinking the former as well as the appropriate starter.

Last I need to be doing is rounding up a bunch of parts and "hoping" I can make something fit. Unfortunately, I do not have a lot of parts available for me to pick through. Guess I need to re-locate out of this one-horse town to somewhere there's more enthusiast that could jump in and lend a hand/advise.

Thanks again. If I find any answers, I'll post them.

Old 04-28-2023, 05:21 PM
cwegga
Tuned
Received 205 Likes on 129 Posts
I think you're well on the way. Tmeyer should be able to answer the flywheel question. It looked like they knew some manufacturer that made one specifically designed to work. You are right. The 2wd ZF is way easier and cheaper to get than the 4x4 one. I almost never see 4x4 gas ZFs. Another option you could consider that ends up with similar ratios is an NV4500. I'm not sure about for 2wd, but for 4x4 I've been looking at them. Advance Adapters makes adapters to fit an NV4500 to ford V8s (adapters for small and big block) that use the ford bellhousing so you cold even keep your same clutch linkage if you don't want to go hydraulic. If you don't mind having a Dodge or GM sourced transmission in your truck they are pretty comparable to ZF transmissions for performance and strength as far as I know. That's the way I've been leaning for my eventual Bronco conversion because I think I can source an NV4500 easier and cheaper than a ZF.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-28-2023, 07:43 PM
jtrux
Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts
I installed a ZF behind a 351W in a 2wd 1977 F100. The crossmember you have works but will need to be moved back and your frame will need to be redrilled for the new location. Mine was originally a 3 speed on the column.

The following users liked this post: