1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Thermostat location - 1996 4.0 Manual

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 11:20 PM
okieinu
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thermostat location - 1996 4.0 Manual

My temp gauge seems to be approaching Hot to the point I'm a little uncomfortable. All symptoms point to failing thermostat.

I don't have a manual so I'm someone can tell me exactly where the thermostat is located on this engine. The top radiator hose terminates on a smaller metal tube coming from the engine block. I suspect it may be there or flanged at the block. How simple is the change on this engine?

thanks!

okie

Old 11-17-2003, 06:17 AM
Dealford
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE okieinu. Follow the upper rad hose toward the engine and it will end at a long tube that curves down in front of the engine. The housing has 3 bolts holding it on. Remember to not over-tighten the housing when you put it back together. Snug the bolts evenly until they are G A T.

Old 11-17-2003, 11:48 AM
Chopper-Boyz
Junior User
go to the Chiltons website, and go to the Engine Mechanical section for the truck and they have a section for replacing the thermostat. I need to do replace the one on my son's 1996 4.0L too as the housing gasket is leaking. not too bad.

For that matter, email at the address below and I can send the instructions in a MS Word document,

Royce
royce.taylor@suntroncorp.com

Old 11-17-2003, 12:44 PM
okieinu
New User
Thanks for the tips folks...popped out the old and put in the new this morning and all is well.

Thanks!

okie