6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Another CP4 option from RCD

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2023, 07:31 AM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 390 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by Overkill2
Ford's still have failures but probably not as many, i would think, as GM because Ford uses a low pressure pump to supply the CP4.
Yep, they finally saw the light with the 2017+ Denso fuel systems.

Honestly, I would do a lift pump AND a CP3 swap if I owned a duramax and the CP4 had given up the ghost.

Old 03-29-2023, 08:46 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,412 Likes on 2,103 Posts
Originally Posted by Overkill2
It's WHO you know not WHAT you know, John...

I can't remember exactly, because I'm a Ford guy, but did GM have a factory pump on theirs or no?

Okay just looked online and the 11 to 16 trucks did NOT have a factory primary pump which was a problem for those trucks.

Ford's still have failures but probably not as many, i would think, as GM because Ford uses a low pressure pump to supply the CP4.

How many miles on his truck John? Or did he buy a Ford?
Die hard Duramax family, not sure on the mileage and I'm not that guy when it comes to the new fuel systems. He was on his way to get a windshield replaced and we didn't get to talk very long.

Old 03-29-2023, 08:48 AM
jollyrogr
Cargo Master
Received 767 Likes on 404 Posts
Originally Posted by FishOnOne
I thought Bosch didn't add a feature to prevent buckets from rotating due to some patent, but can't confirm the accuracy of this. Also this new modified pump changes the routing of the fuel in the cam lobe/plunger housing so it doesn't go to the injectors.
Yeah when I was referring to the need for a DPK, I was talking about the factory CP4. This modified pump wouldn't need one.

Old 03-29-2023, 06:44 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,435 Likes on 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by rufushusky
Yep, they finally saw the light with the 2017+ Denso fuel systems.

Honestly, I would do a lift pump AND a CP3 swap if I owned a duramax and the CP4 had given up the ghost.
That was the nice thing with Duramaxes and the Cummins, that S&S had the CP3 swap kits. We didn't have them because the CP3s wouldn't fit in our 6.7s. Problem solved now though with the new DCR drop in pumps... But have to wait and see on the testing to be done first though.

Old 03-29-2023, 06:44 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
Die hard Duramax family, not sure on the mileage and I'm not that guy when it comes to the new fuel systems. He was on his way to get a windshield replaced and we didn't get to talk very long.
Gotcha thanks...

Old 06-11-2023, 07:47 AM
chadstickpoindexter
Logistics Pro
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,460 Posts
Bringing back an old thread here... As much as I hate to admit it, I needed to create a FB account recently, and since I had it, I joined a few Ford SD groups. First off, wow, FTE has was more knowledge and mannerisms than those groups! I just scroll through and reply on some posts, but mostly just laugh and keep scrolling. Anyway, over there they really seem to push the CPX pretty hard like it's a world changer, and I guess in some ways it is. But, for me Josh's posts shared in the first post on this thread seems to have some bold statements that actually make me a bit weary... particularly about the US fuel not having enough lubricity being an outright lie, as well as the details about the pumps with "essentially zero wear." These seem like half truths to me in an effort to push his product... sure, I agree, there is enough lubricity in the US diesel fuel, but the minimum amounts, and the amount seems to fluctuate from pump to pump. And given how sensitive the CP4 is, I personally like to add additives with just a little extra. Also, how many pumps has he personally inspected to make his claim... "pumps" could be as little as 2, and he may have picked the best 2 to get that statement... and what about the those pumps, which fuel was used, any additives... and what exactly does "essentially zero wear" actually mean? These statements seem kind of shady, and if he is associated with the company, that makes me wonder about the company... I don't know... it seems like it's probably a great improvement over some of the older CP4's but he seems to make some pretty broad blanket statements which kind of makes me wonder... as of right now, I am more than happy to keep my 22 CP4 with pinned buckets and the S&S DPK installed, as well as continuing to use additives that helps lubricate the fuel, clean the fuel system, and demulsifies the water, which can then be drained off at the WIF.

Anyway, back to the CPX, and the reason I brought this thread back up... somewhere I had read that the built in DPK on the CPX only protected the high pressure side and that it did not prevent contamination from reaching the low pressure side... I can't find where I had read that, but I thought it was here, and I thought it was in a discussion about the new DCR compared to the CPX. Then again, maybe I am just making it up... lol. Is there any truth to this, or am I just going nuts? Like I said, they push the CPX really hard over on FB (and usually from guys with lifted trucks, rubber band wheels and their posts usually end with "boi" or it's a shop suggesting that they can install it for the "same price as a DPK" at $2000...)

I also want to add that I am not bashing the CPX... this stuff is a little over my head for me to bash it, but the Josh guy seems a bit over the top, which makes me question actual products, and I am curious. Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-11-2023, 11:11 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by chadstickpoindexter
Bringing back an old thread here... As much as I hate to admit it, I needed to create a FB account recently, and since I had it, I joined a few Ford SD groups. First off, wow, FTE has was more knowledge and mannerisms than those groups! I just scroll through and reply on some posts, but mostly just laugh and keep scrolling. Anyway, over there they really seem to push the CPX pretty hard like it's a world changer, and I guess in some ways it is. But, for me Josh's posts shared in the first post on this thread seems to have some bold statements that actually make me a bit weary... particularly about the US fuel not having enough lubricity being an outright lie, as well as the details about the pumps with "essentially zero wear." These seem like half truths to me in an effort to push his product... sure, I agree, there is enough lubricity in the US diesel fuel, but the minimum amounts, and the amount seems to fluctuate from pump to pump. And given how sensitive the CP4 is, I personally like to add additives with just a little extra. Also, how many pumps has he personally inspected to make his claim... "pumps" could be as little as 2, and he may have picked the best 2 to get that statement... and what about the those pumps, which fuel was used, any additives... and what exactly does "essentially zero wear" actually mean? These statements seem kind of shady, and if he is associated with the company, that makes me wonder about the company... I don't know... it seems like it's probably a great improvement over some of the older CP4's but he seems to make some pretty broad blanket statements which kind of makes me wonder... as of right now, I am more than happy to keep my 22 CP4 with pinned buckets and the S&S DPK installed, as well as continuing to use additives that helps lubricate the fuel, clean the fuel system, and demulsifies the water, which can then be drained off at the WIF.

Anyway, back to the CPX, and the reason I brought this thread back up... somewhere I had read that the built in DPK on the CPX only protected the high pressure side and that it did not prevent contamination from reaching the low pressure side... I can't find where I had read that, but I thought it was here, and I thought it was in a discussion about the new DCR compared to the CPX. Then again, maybe I am just making it up... lol. Is there any truth to this, or am I just going nuts? Like I said, they push the CPX really hard over on FB (and usually from guys with lifted trucks, rubber band wheels and their posts usually end with "boi" or it's a shop suggesting that they can install it for the "same price as a DPK" at $2000...)

I also want to add that I am not bashing the CPX... this stuff is a little over my head for me to bash it, but the Josh guy seems a bit over the top, which makes me question actual products, and I am curious. Thanks.
I used to be on FB awhile back and it got out of control with friend requests and the nonsense folks post. A year ago or so, probably more like two, I got back on to create an account for my son's Oculus. I created an account with a fake name because I had ZERO interest in letting everyone know I'm back on. I follow mainly truck stuff and other stuff but rarely get on. I never post anything.

Yeah the FB 6.7 groups can get goofy as I perused them a few times. Lots of typical social media tools on there.

I'm thinking I heard the same thing about that modified CP4 also Chad.

If mine was to fail, I'd go with a S&S DCR and call it a day... that's my two cents on it.

Old 06-11-2023, 11:59 AM
brokestroke
Cargo Master
Received 818 Likes on 465 Posts
Hard to beat the S&S DPK, period.

The following 2 users liked this post by brokestroke:
Old 06-11-2023, 11:20 PM
Danieldorado
Trailering
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
more info

Fuel Delivery Pressure Switch
The fuel delivery pressure switch is a normally closed switch that monitors the fuel delivery system pressure prior to the high pressure fuel injection pump. The fuel delivery pressure switch opens when the fuel system pressure reaches 17.5 kPa (2.5 psi) or above. If the fuel delivery system pressure drops below 17.5 kPa (2.5 psi) the switch closes and the PCM notifies the driver by displaying a low fuel pressure warning in the message center, and an engine derate occurs to protect the pump . in ford 6.7 . . this kind of put vacuum theory to rest as it not the 2.5 psi drop that has been killing ford pumps its water and lack of lube in the fuel . and its well documented . lack of lube that damages the roller weather its from water or lubricity or air bubbles any way you look at it its a lube issue combined with aggressive cam lobe causing a flat spot to form and in extreme case piston rotation due to metal on metal and binding and in major cases locking pump up and taking out the engine . you might want to acknowledge fuel issue . and is there real world durability testing for the product as this idea was done early on 6.7 pump and it did not hold up well . due to fuel leaking at where pin was machined in from internal pressures. i dont remember what company try it but it was around 2016 . i would like to see more on the mods done internal to correct the feed issue in the pump

Old 06-12-2023, 06:45 AM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 618 Likes on 384 Posts
I'm a little late to this party, but I like the idea of the pinned pistons in the pump, however, the one thing this is missing is it still needs a filter between the pump and the tank. Filling the lines and tank with metal is bad ju-ju, and expecting the stock filtration to make everything 100% safe is a tall order in the event of a failure. JMO.

All 2011 - 2023 RCD CPX CP4 pumps are modified internally in a 5 AXIS CNC to return fuel to the tank. This prevents debris from entering the injector in the instance of a failure. "DISASTER KITS" ARE NOT NEEDED!

Old 06-12-2023, 07:38 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by ToMang07
I'm a little late to this party, but I like the idea of the pinned pistons in the pump, however, the one thing this is missing is it still needs a filter between the pump and the tank. Filling the lines and tank with metal is bad ju-ju, and expecting the stock filtration to make everything 100% safe is a tall order in the event of a failure. JMO.
Couldn't agree more...

Old 02-18-2024, 08:38 AM
Noirtier1
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CPX split in half... Literally

Good afternoon, has anybody else out there began having problems with CPX high pressure fuel pumps? If so did anybody have a similar situation?

Anybody out there have experience with your high pressure fuel pump splitting literally in half (sorry unfortunately no pictures. I'm guessing shop didn't take them or didn't keep them before sending high pressure fuel pump back to RCD). Causes? I had this happen. I have my high pressure fuel pump go out so I replaced it with a aftermarket CPX from RCD. No other major aftermarket changes on fuel system or engine. Engine ran perfect had zero compression issues, I've always ran Schafer oil, it has A bank's air intake I had put on it as well as had my hot and cold side changed when I bought the truck. Truck is fully deleted and has an ezlynk for tuning, I also had a Venturi reroute done. I Don't run a hot tune or anything crazy. Just towing versus Street tune. Truck has Oil changes every 7K miles, air filter cleaned and recharged at that time, fuel filter changed every other oil change.
Basically After CPX was installed, the truck ran fine for about 5 to 6 weeks collectively (it was down for a week while it had to have a master cylinder and a hydro pump). Then I was going down the road towing a empty trailer (nothing heavy about 4K pounds) all the sudden here an awful noise and motor begins to shut down. Tuner says low fuel pressure left bank.
I never had metal in any of my oil changes or anything like that, but shop called me to tell me that motor was locked up. After another round of diagnostics on it they took the gear off the front of CPX and seen that it was split in half. So yet another set of fuel rails lines etc and the CPX reinstalled.
Then after the truck is put back together as far as the fuel system goes, they check the compression on the motor.
All of the sudden I have compression problems and and being told I need a new motor. Awfully strange that the motor had zero problems before and zero compression issues, and never have metal in anything.
I run a fuel treatment every tank to help ensure water is being removed etc. Truck has only ever had Ford oil filters in it as well. And again as I previously stated never had drivability problems or loss of oil pressure either.
Any input would be appreciated. While I am not completely diesel dumb I am new at owning a diesel. There seems to be a conflict of opinion out there on what happened first the CPX splitting in half causing the motor problems or the motor causing the CPX problems.
Any input would be appreciated. The diesel mechanic that we use has said that they have never seen this before.

Last edited by Noirtier1; 02-18-2024 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Additional details
Old 02-18-2024, 11:38 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

I'm sorry to hear this man... I feel for you... Sounds like you took care of your truck though...

I sent links to a Ford Tech I know who works part time at the garage my buddy owns and where i take my vehicles...

I'll post his responses here... I sent him the link to the CPX as I'm sure he's never seen it before and the link to your post. But i texted him because when talking with him at the shop in the past, he has mentioned seeing a CP4 split open before. But not having the engine seize like that...

". Hey quick question. Did you once say you've seen a CP4 split in half or come apart when it failed? Thanks.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the guy ignored his water in fuel light and it actually had a bunch of water in the fuel.

Thanks so it came apart then right? I'm on my Ford Truck forum now and I guy had a aftermarket CP4 put in, I'll send a link soon for FYI, and it blew apart. Seemed like he took care of the truck but the engine failed... I'll send a link also to see what you think. 👍

Yeah it split in the middle like a walnut. Your welcome

Yeah I thought so too.. Cannot see a chunk of aluminum attached via a gear to the engine breaking the whole engine... Weird for sure

Then one we had split like that at the dealer they put a new pump on and away the guy went. We changed his filters and I think drained his fuel and put in good fuel. Not sure what happened first for that guy but it is strange. Yeah it all seems weird. Something else had to happen. "

Good luck... I mean it... What's the plan moving forward?

Old 02-18-2024, 01:41 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 1,008 Likes on 776 Posts
Originally Posted by UGA33
https://www.facebook.com/1174472730/...ibextid=cr9u03

Competition is always a good thing.

Bosh did build it, and ford is using it in 2020 and later for 6.7’s

i just took one apart and it is definitely pinned.

so if you have a 2020 or later…don’t buy this…you already have it.

Old 02-18-2024, 02:01 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 1,008 Likes on 776 Posts
Also

rcd wants 999 for one and ford sells the pinned cp4 for 599

Quick Reply: Another CP4 option from RCD