1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Speedometer Cable

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 12:30 PM
stahlecker
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speedometer Cable

I have been in the process of restoring an old F-100. It's a 1964 F-100 Custom Cab Shortbed 2 wheel drive. My Grandpa bought it new. It originally came with a 292 and a 3 on the tree. When it hit a 100k in the early 1980s my grandpa bought a 312 block and stuck in it.

My grandpa says that it is the original tranny. Anyway the speedometer cable doesn't work. I ordered a replacement from L _ _. This had screw on ends on both sides. The cable that came out has a cylinder with a nylon gear. I called and L _ _ said they don't have one. Does anyone know where I can get one.

While I'm at it, does anyone know where I could get just the white discs that set inside the dash *****? All of the ***** are in good shape just missing the center part.

Old 11-13-2003, 12:47 PM
bob-63-292
Senior User
Bought a replacement cable at autozone.

You might try dennis carpenter for the **** parts.

Bob

Old 11-13-2003, 12:54 PM
stahlecker
Senior User
Thanks, I'll have to stop by autozone.

I have checked Dennis Carpenter with no luck. Everyone I see wants to sell the whole ****, I just want the inserts

Old 11-13-2003, 01:23 PM
cdherman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My local car quest has a book with pictures! Got the right cable there. Now for a bit of bad news. Often the gear that is shot is the one inside the tranny. What does the nylon gear at the end of the cylindrical housing look like? Is the "core" of the cable still in there? Does it turn? You can do a cool test of the system with a friends help and a variable speed drill. Chuck up the core into the drill and her rip IN REVERSE!!!

If all these things seem good, then, well then you get the picture. As to replaceing the speedo tranny drive gear -- start another thread if it comes to that.

Good luck. Great to have an old vehicle in the family still.

Old 11-13-2003, 03:18 PM
airharley
Postmaster
Did anyone check the online store? I am pretty sure they have the inserts listed.

Old 11-13-2003, 04:07 PM
stahlecker
Senior User
I've had the cable out a couple of times and it appears as though the nylon gear is in alright shape. It doesn't look like the teeth are ground off. I know I'll probably need to use the gear. The inner cable is broke off inside of the casing. I've tried the test and didn't get the gear to spin. Thanks for the Car Quest since there is one right up the street from my Dorm Room