99.5 PSD No Start.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 08:17 PM
ramtruckman
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 99.5 PSD No Start.

Hello All,

I have a 99.5 Crew Cab Dually with the 7.3 PSD, 6spd Manual, 4x4. I bought My truck last December with 28,000 Miles. It now has 73,000 on it.

This truck is driving me NUTZ!!

Current Problems:

*Truck won't Start if it's been sitting for more than 24 hours. (Sometimes not even 24 hours)

*Engine codes I receive are p0475, p0316

I've consulted the service and parts Department at Mike Naughton Ford In Denver Colorado several times but we are still not able to get this truck to run right.

Things I've Checked and Replaced:

* New Exhaust bake pressure Sensor & Inlet Tube.

* New Exhaust Brake Solenoid.

* Both batteries checked and working fine.

* Glow Plug Relay Replaced

* Have Pluged in the truck even on warm days.

This is real odd. When I replace or clean the Exhaust back pressure sensor I can occasionally get the truck to start. Same thing with the wire harness that plugs into the Exhaust brake Solenoid, if I take it off and clean the plug the truck will occasionally start.

This has been a persistant problem for the last 3 months.

Until tonight the truck has ran fine after I finally got it started. Tonight for the first time the truck died after running fine for about an hour.

I am running a superchips power programmer and have added an exhaust brake to the vehicle.

Old 11-11-2003, 09:44 PM
Fordguy
Junior User
Maybe a bad PCM

Old 11-12-2003, 03:58 AM
ramtruckman
Junior User
Thanks for the reply. I'm not real familiar with the PCM, is this an expensive part? Would it be hard to install? On a new note I'm not receiving any diagnostic codes anymore. Since I have replaced the EBV sensor and Solenoid all codes have disappeared.

Old 11-15-2003, 01:04 AM
ramtruckman
Junior User
Dealer thinks this is a bad IDM/ECM/Computer Brain. Can anyone tell me if you can "reflash" these things.
Can you buy the IDM as a refurbished unit?
Are they hard to change?
How much do they cost?

Old 11-18-2003, 10:03 PM
Fordguy
Junior User
The ECM - Engine Control Modual, is what controls the processes of the engine. I know that the ECM cannot be reflash if it has been burned. They are around $300 from the dealer and will have to be a match according to your VIN number. Hope this helps...by the way these are things that you can do. The ECM is behind the E-brake pedal on the driver side. It stands vertically about 5in tall and 1.5 in wide within a plastic cover.

Hope this helps

Mark

Old 11-19-2003, 12:15 AM
ramtruckman
Junior User
Thanks for the Post Mark. As it turns out the dealer replaced my IDM for no cost. I picked the truck up yesterday and was EXTEMELY impressed with the dealers willingness to work with me even though my truck has been out of warranty for over 6 Months and has several upgrades such as the superchips programmer and a custom exhaust brake which they could have easily used as an excuse not to cover the repair.

That's the good news! Today I get back in my truck and it's the same thing. It cranks but doesn't fire. Dealer recommended I check the batteries which tested fine but I replaced them anyway, still no start. I towed the truck back to the dealer and they still can't find the problem. I really think there diesel mechanic is a real inteligent guy but I'm starting to get frustrated. I don't understand why it will start one day and run fine but not the next.

List of new parts replaced include:

*ECM/IDM/Computer Brain
*Both Batteries
*All fuses replaced even if they look good
*EBPV Solenoid
*EBP sensor and tube from Manifold
*Glow Plug Relay
*Fuel Filter & Air Filter
*Dealer checked injectors, glow plugs and all wiring and said it was all good.

I don't know where to go from here, does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks for your help. I have learned a lot on this website in the last week or two and hope that someone here can help shed some light on my problem.

Old 11-19-2003, 12:18 AM
ramtruckman
Junior User
The dealer also checked my PCM and said it was good.

Old 11-19-2003, 09:49 AM
fordman102
Elder User
I would replace the cam position sensor. Many times they send no codes.

Old 11-19-2003, 05:20 PM
ramtruckman
Junior User
Bullseye!! Thank you fordman102! The cam position sensor seems to have fixed my problem. Hope this repair last for more than a day or two. I'll post a follow-up in a few days to let ya know if it's still running. Thanks again to everyone for there help.

Old 11-20-2003, 03:33 PM
fordman102
Elder User
Glad to hear your problem is fixed. Many people carry an extra in the glove box. They are about half price at the International dealer than through Ford.