1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

An e-crate motor available for Ford trucks

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 12:38 PM
5851a
Logistics Pro
Received 732 Likes on 580 Posts
I'm curious as to how do you power your electrical accessories, ps pb ac with these crate motors? Watched a video of a guy driving electric car on a trip. I had no idea the electric manufacturers had different style power cord ends. The guy in the video seemed to have endless problems with public charging stations, using adapter plugs and stations that wouldn't accept his payment method/plan. Seemed like a pain to me. Crack heads around here are breaking into houses and ripping out wiring and copper pipes, they are not going to have a problem stealing charging cords. I'm just ranting. We need the systems in place before the vehicles not the other way around.

Old 09-26-2022, 12:51 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 359 Likes on 269 Posts
Would I swap one into a truck, short answer: NO

Montana is a lot of miles between anything. Snow gets deep. Cold gets......well, you know.
I've made countless trips between MT and Ohio and I can't see them ever being practical in much of the country.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-26-2022, 01:28 PM
Bob Ingram
Fleet Mechanic
Received 680 Likes on 324 Posts
I googled it, the mustang conversion is available at Summit, CJ Pony and a few other places. The crate motor is just under $5,000, but doesn’t include encoder, transmission or battery. You could run it on a long extension cord and probably get better range

The following 2 users liked this post by Bob Ingram:
Old 09-26-2022, 02:43 PM
solidstate
More Turbo
Received 167 Likes on 116 Posts
If it can be had for under $7500, and allows you still qualify for an EV credit??? I could see a few old trucks getting a new PowerSource, as long as it ended up costing nothing but installation time! My guess is, it will not qualify, and it must be on a new, never titled vehicle, you can't install in that f150 you have parked by the barn and get the credit.

Old 09-26-2022, 02:53 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,161 Likes on 834 Posts
Originally Posted by solidstate
If it can be had for under $7500, and allows you still qualify for an EV credit???
Where will the credit come from? If from the government where do they get the money to issue credits? The government doesn't give you something without taking more from you or someone else. I don't want the government to "reward" me for being a good pet and doing what they want. I want less government control.

The following 9 users liked this post by bobj49f2:
26tudor, 49fordv8f4, 52 Merc, 52 USCG Panel, 5851a, Bob Ingram, cowboylogic57, moejr, solidstate and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-26-2022, 04:04 PM
hooler1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 259 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
I ran into this real world test of a new Ford Lightning electric pickup and the troubles with towing and battery efficiency. There's a lot of fluff in the story so you might want to skip through it, but bottom line is the charge life is drastically reduced when adding the smallest of loads to it. I can't imagine how this is supposed to work for a contractor and his F350 towing tools and materials to the jobsite, or the family going on vacation with their 35' 5th wheel.

Running out of electricity on the side of the road or stranded in the toolies is not the same as running out of gas where you can grab a can to add enough to get you to a station. How long will it take to charge a dead battery from a portable generator?

https://youtu.be/3nS0Fdayj8Y
I just heard this today also from another source. A local dealer has an Lightning on their lot and they hooked on a small aluminum trailer, that was lightly loaded. They drove 12 miles, with some stop and go traffic. With the Lightning pulling that trailer they lost about 20% of the range of the battery. I dont know if it was fully charged when they left or not.

Old 09-26-2022, 04:10 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Received 888 Likes on 433 Posts
Just like companies can raise their prices on goods and services in order to provide free electric charging privileges to their employees that have EV vehicles, the government takes some of the money I paid in taxes and hands it out to people purchasing new EV vehicles. Who knew there would come a time when the government would be able to take our money and give it to someone else. Charity should be voluntary!

Jim

The following 2 users liked this post by 52 USCG Panel:
Old 09-26-2022, 04:49 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 642 Likes on 341 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 USCG Panel
Oh, and as much as we all like Tom (Pineconeford) and wish him well, who thinks it's okay for his company to up the price on whatever they make so they can charge their employee's electric cars for free? Companies can't give things away and stay in business. They pass along costs to their customers.
Jim
Jim, you are absolutely right about businesses passing on the cost to customers. In the case of my employer, they built a brand new monstrous addition to the building and put in all the green features so that they can call it a LEEDS certified building and get some tax credit. To qualify for the certification there has to be 5% of the parking spaces devoted to electric vehicles. So they put in a bunch of charging stations and the spaces are almost always in use. At the moment it is free to use them. But the cost of that power is going to be reflected in the cost of our products, of which I'm certain everyone here indirectly or directly uses and pays for.
And since there is great momentum to go electric, it is going to happen sooner or later. Heck, all the school kids are being told how evil fossil fuel is every day. My commute is only 7 miles so I could use an electric car if necessary. Might as well at least be a cool looking antique truck instead of those cookie-cutter EV's that are increasingly being seen on the roads. I don't drive that truck in winter, so the downfalls of a cold climate wouldn't affect me as much. I would drop in an electric engine, if I could charge for a low cost. But it sounds like the cost would be close to 10 grand most likely. That would put me out of play. I can buy a lot of 87 octane for that amount and put the wheezing 302 back in. Tom

Old 09-26-2022, 07:03 PM
5851a
Logistics Pro
Received 732 Likes on 580 Posts
We try to keep our families safe and the chargers at the local strip mall/old big mall are way out at the end of the parking lot here. Illuminated I have no idea but imagine they are. So your wife/family member works at one of the shops and charges. You want them walking across a parking lot at night after closing time and diddlng around with a cord at a charger. Not a rant just a thought. Things that need to be looked at. Sorry off topic since subject is a crate motor.

Old 09-26-2022, 07:16 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,521 Likes on 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by 5851a
We try to keep our families safe and the chargers at the local strip mall/old big mall are way out at the end of the parking lot here. Illuminated I have no idea but imagine they are. So your wife/family member works at one of the shops and charges. You want them walking across a parking lot at night after closing time and diddlng around with a cord at a charger. Not a rant just a thought. Things that need to be looked at. Sorry off topic since subject is a crate motor.

The following 3 users liked this post by 52 Merc:
Old 09-26-2022, 07:57 PM
PhilHill
Mountain Pass
Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Intuitive post, thanks for sharing.

Us 3500 truck owners are towing over 20,000 lbs., I can't imagine how long it would take to trek from Atlanta to Seattle again. My on board gas generator could be used to charge the truck batteries - ahh, the irony of it all....

Old 09-26-2022, 10:14 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 796 Likes on 393 Posts
Switching the world to electric vehicles to save the environment is not as clean a cut decision as we have been lead to believe. Achieving zero emissions comes with its own unique environmental costs and challenges.
No energy is completely zero emissions and free. There is always a cost. People touting EV's are selling too hard. It makes me think of that 300mpg carburetor that people say car companies killed to keep the oil companies happy. EV's have their place, but they are many years from any type of mass market. Government forcing it will be a huge failure if they stick to their current dates. But politicians will change the dates and act as if the previous dates never existed.

This reminded me of a thread where a person converted a 56 F500 to electric: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-in-f-5-a.html I don't know if it ever got completely finished.

Elio Motors intrigued me many years ago. They never got off the ground. I just did a search and they are now promoting an EV model. I don't expect this version will ever make it to market either: https://www.eliomotors.com/

An e-crate motor in one of our trucks would be cool, but it would just be a novelty for the rich.

Old 09-28-2022, 10:38 AM
Justboy
More Turbo
Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I just looked back on the article I was reading earlier today. According to the article, a single EV battery requires 500,000 pounds of the earth's crust to be dug up, transported, and processed. This work is undoubtably done by machinery requiring fossil fuels. Millions of vehicles are produced every year. That number multiplied by 500,000 amounts to a pretty significant environmental impact that is going to be noticed. It seems the very people thinking everyone should be environmentally responsible and drive an electric car, are also the ones who oppose mining in virtually all of its forms. Switching the world to electric vehicles to save the environment is not as clean a cut decision as we have been lead to believe. Achieving zero emissions comes with its own unique environmental costs and challenges. What's going on here is a much bigger deal than the push to add ethanol to gasoline, but there are some similarities.

Jim
I remember hearing about 10/15 years ago that the energy taken to produce a vehicle was several times more than the energy it would take to run that vehicle for its lifetime. I guess that for EVs and taking your statistics into account that problem would be magnified. Propaganda about EVs are being used at the moment to generate sales. People are easily conned and arguing against it just makes us look like the bad guys. But seeing tax payers money spent on free charging etc as a reward to those who need it the least is infuriating. Although that is really just a symptom of our modern society.

The following 3 users liked this post by Justboy:
Old 09-28-2022, 11:04 AM
solidstate
More Turbo
Received 167 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Justboy
I remember hearing about 10/15 years ago that the energy taken to produce a vehicle was several times more than the energy it would take to run that vehicle for its lifetime. I guess that for EVs and taking your statistics into account that problem would be magnified. Propaganda about EVs are being used at the moment to generate sales. People are easily conned and arguing against it just makes us look like the bad guys. But seeing tax payers money spent on free charging etc as a reward to those who need it the least is infuriating. Although that is really just a symptom of our modern society.
I just pulled up some stats, roughly 20 million homes in the US have a garage, 130 million housing units, 15% with garages. The stats did not indicate if these were multi or single garages. I can see all 20 million of these retrofitted with an EV charging station, all 20 million will stop using their garages for something other than cars, that give us 20 million EVs with a garage/overnight/safe charging station. All others will need to use something else, maybe public charging stations? I looked up what the average cost of purchase and installation of a commercial charging station is Now, this Does Not Include the property nor the other infrastructure, such as paving, curbs, etc., other costs such as insurance, property taxes, repair and replacement, service of the units and up keep of the property would in some cases be local/state, nonetheless, with the Huge push to save the world, right now, I'm starting to wonder, how many of these commercial EV charging stations does the US need. The basic cost for purchase and installation of a commercial EV charging station, is around $30,000, again not including the other costs I've listed (and there are more, but not to belabor the point). If we need 25,000,000 more (to handle the entire US fleet), that's a lot of money! 25 million multiplied by 30,000=750 BILLION DOLLARS! My guess is, if we raise income tax and electric tax (paid at the station at time of purchase) we could eventually pay off the cost(principle and interest), but, and it is a big But, the price to purchase the electricity would go up, (with all the associated taxes, the infrastructure pay off, the road use tax, fed/state/local that is certainly to be adopted), transportation costs could rise, even higher than they are today. Remember, all the New Expensive EVs need to be paid for, along with these costs. With 8% inflation now, I wonder how much more stress can be places on the US Dollar.

The following 3 users liked this post by solidstate:
Old 09-28-2022, 10:06 PM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 80 Likes on 40 Posts
Petrol runs through my veins. Once we go electric, I'll probably wither out and die. Just like the old dinosaur people say I am

Quick Reply: An e-crate motor available for Ford trucks