88 ranger....wierd & seemingly random stutter

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 08:27 PM
kick-4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoking black, bucking, missing 2.9

Originally Posted by craighead
I have a very similar problem with my '88 2.9L Ranger. I have had it to three diferent shops and nobody has been able to fix it. The symptoms are, loosing power and Black smoke out the exaust. This happens when the engine has been working hard (ie. pulling a load, climbing a grade). When this trouble starts the engine will cycle in and out of the smoking mode seemingly directly related to the RPMs. Below 2500 it runs fine, about 2700 the trouble starts and continues untill it drops below 2500 again. At that point the motor runs fine untill it reaches the 2700 mark and the cycle repeats. I have made a special effort of keeping the throttle steady during the cycling to make this observation. If I continue on with out stopping the problem gets worse to the point the engine won't run normally at all unless it has full throttle. At this point I can only continue driving by flooring the pedal untill I'm going to fast, then cost untill I must floor it again. If when the trouble first starts I stop and leave the engine off for about 8 minutes, I can start back up and every thing is fine. I have had the pressure regulator, the temp sensor to the computer and the ignition modual changed. you guys seem to know alot about this stuff, whatever suggestions you have are sure welcome.
Craig
I have a 87 ranger xlT extended cab with 244,000 miles with same problem. No codes would come up. Before I start I don't believe in being a parts changer. I have tested all sensors, plug connections and so forth and jsut as soon as the truck would start to smoke black out the tail pipe the O2 sensor would go completly nuts on the resistance ohms so I decided to change it thinking that was intermittent and problem still persisted. after checking for days I let the local ford dealer have a try thinking the computer was going wacko. They found that same problem but then they found that the transmission modulator vacumn vavle diaphram was busted and sucking transmission fluid into the intake to be mixed with the vacumn to be mixed with the combustion air intake. Also they found the throttle body butterfly very dirty and not getting the proper air through at idle but my truck did the bucking and jumping when driving to so a dirty buterfly doesn't really matter when dirving because of the angle of the butterfly air will move but at idle I can understand Diagnostic from ford $65.00, modulator vavle $30.00 from ford put on by me and problem went away no more black smoke, no more jumping or bucking

Old 07-16-2008, 07:52 PM
sexybluelady
Junior User
okay I know that this is a old thread but my truck is doing the same thing. And so far I've been pouring more money into this american money pit then into my import's. I replaced the o2 sensor and my truck is a standard plus no egr. I changed the coolant temp sensor awhile ago but I've heard that it's been a known problem on these trucks, so I may change it again. My check engine light pops on once in a while, and when I try to read the codes either nothing comes up or the engine "fixes" it's self.
Today it did the whole black smoke and stutter bucking issue, and I'm about to just give up and sell the thing for a bike!
So was anyone about to fix this issue? if the person doesn't have a egr, auto trans and has changed the o2 and coolant temp and there's no gas in the vacum lines?

Old 07-16-2008, 08:09 PM
mebe2k
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
a bad MAP sensor, or broken/leaking vacuum line TO the MAP sensor might cause the black smoke/missing..as for American vs. imports, I had a Mitsubishi Diamante that was more of a money pit than both of my Ford trucks put together..parts for imports aint cheap, and yet, they are cheaply made.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:16 PM
sexybluelady
Junior User
lol I know I own a few 3000gt and those are suppose to be my money pits haha!! plus most of the parts are not made anymore. So my Ranger is suppose to be my "cheap" always working vehicle. I have a MAP sensor from off of my old 2.9 motor and I was thinking about swapping out tomorrow. But since my o2 sensor is new I wouldn't think that would be the problem, but I was thinking about what the other members said about the FPR being bad. So if my spare MAP sensor doesn't make a different's I'm going to bet on the FPR, since everything else has been done a few months back when I rebuilt the engine.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:50 AM
sexybluelady
Junior User
mm back to this old school thread, well I replaced the map sensor (it has half melted so had to anyways) and it's still doing the same thing. And there is no fuel in the vacuum lines? I took out the pill for the timing to see if there would be a change maybe the computer was ****ed and still no change. So what else could it be? and also tune up was done just a few months ago.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:52 AM
sexybluelady
Junior User
omg this site edits you if you swear? lol was never part of a car form that did that.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:06 PM
sexybluelady
Junior User
anyone have any idea's? I have to go out of town today and wanted to try to fix this before the auto part stores closes

Old 07-19-2008, 03:31 PM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
Try to close pressure regulator vac. line . You wll get lean codes if you'll drive aggressively but no gas sucking from pressure regulator..... Be carefull, gas may leak from regulator vac. hose, becouse gas pressure is 2.8-3.5 BAR.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:27 AM
sexybluelady
Junior User
okay looks like I was able to solve my problem by making some making sure that all of the grounds where good for the computer. blocking one random vac line that was from the egr before it was removed off. new map sensor and a pcv valve. I didn't replace mines when I did my last head gasket job. It was really really bad. and now the problem seems to be fixed. it runs with no black smoke and stutter. So I hope this helps others out in the long run. btw I found out that it was smoking when I went over 2500 to 3000 rpm so that's why I did my pcv valve and fixed that issue with the black smoke.