Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Question on engines

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 02:36 PM
terrydennis
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on engines

I am considering buying a pre owned F350 crew cab. I have noticed while browsing listings for sale that the three most commonly listed motors are
The Powerstroke Diesel
The V10
A V8 (not sure on displacement 460? 351? guess I'de have to call sellar to find out.)

Can you experienced Ford owners tell me the pros and cons on these motors. Do the diesels last longer (high miles over say 100,000 no big deal)
What type of gas mileage expected?
Which has the best power and torque?

Has there been any reported problems to watch out for in the V10?

Thanks for any info.

Dennis

Old 11-10-2003, 06:21 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
There has been a lot of threads on this forum about the V10 vs. Diesel, if you search for a bit, you'll probably get most of your answers. If you plan on towing, then I'd really recommend the Diesel. I meet a LOT of V10 owners and most of them say they wish they bought the diesel instead. New diesel trucks are about $5,000 more than a V10 optioned the same way....so it's an easy choice for most people to get the V10 instead, especially since the Ford brochures show that both trucks tow about the same weight. What they don't say is that the diesel gets about twice as much fuel milage, plus diesel costs about 40 cents less per gallon (in my area). Additionally, the diesel will last 300,000 miles and longer if you maintain it correctly. Purchasing diesel trucks in the used market is the way to go if finances are tight. (that's what I did)

If you just want a big truck to have fun with. Maybe lift it and slap on some huge off road tires and stuff like that. Then the V10 might be a better fit. V10's are pretty common in the ads here, (I think they are all wanting to upgrade to a diesel), so you can probably find a bargain pretty easily.

Just a few of my thoughts.

Old 11-10-2003, 10:07 PM
Cool Canuck
Freshman User
When looking for a truck, a dealer I respect told me to stay away from the V10 s "Cause you'll be stuck with it. You can't give em away." Ford or Dodge, doesn't matter.

Old 11-11-2003, 01:03 PM
theologian
Postmaster
No matter what gas engine you have, the powerstroke will outlast it.

Theo

Old 11-11-2003, 03:10 PM
eckart
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Diesels are noisy, maintanace costs more, spill any fuel filling up and the smell stays with you for a long time........ and I love mine to death, its just fun to drive. My wife just doesn't understand but she does like the fuel bill. Other than the fuel mileage/cost I don't do anything that a gas pot couldn't do just fine but I wouldn't have one. Its a coke pepsi thing.

Old 11-11-2003, 07:09 PM
JMorton
Senior User
I've seen a few of the V-10's and even the 5.4's shoot spark plugs out of their holes at higher mileage. People just don't keep up with the maintenance and check the tightness of the plugs.
Expensive repair as Ford doesn't recommend heli-coils, About $2800!!
I drive a Stroke, wouldn't own a gas engine again after having this truck! It's just plain AWESOME!!!
My best mileage so far is 17.2, city/highway combined. I don't know of many one ton gas trucks that can touch that.

Old 11-11-2003, 10:13 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 278 Likes on 141 Posts
In all fairness, you should post on the V-10 and 5.4 V8 gas forums just to get their opinions. But if I may put in my .02, the Powerstroke will save you alot in the long run. Fuel and maintenance costs are just one example. It can and will outlast either of the gas engines and it always gets atleast 15-18 mpg depending on how you drive. Long story short, the Powerstroke is a good option for the long haul. Just keep in mind that we are Powerstroke owners giving you advice based on our experiences. We're just here to help.

Old 11-12-2003, 10:21 AM
terrydennis
New User
Lots of good info. I think I may have narowed it down to wanting a '99 F250 4WD Crew Cab Long Bed with the 7.3 Powerstroke.

Thanks alot!

Dennis