6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

DPK; Does it work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 09:49 AM
acdii
Logistics Pro
Received 2,040 Likes on 1,385 Posts
Ahh, maybe the fact mine is deleted has some "stuff" missing that is still on yours. I wouldn't know, the truck was deleted by the previous owner, so no clue what was under the hood.

Now that I think about it, all the bolts in the upper and lower came out, no keepers holding them in.

Old 06-13-2022, 05:10 PM
jollyrogr
Cargo Master
Received 767 Likes on 404 Posts
Those S&S videos were great and should dispel any notion that the DPK doesn't work. I was hoping they would have shown what does need to be replaced to get that truck back on the road. Just the CP4 itself? Do they replace the steel lines connected to the CP4? The return one would be full of junk. But the fuel would be filtered 3 times before it gets to the CP4 again.

Old 06-13-2022, 09:07 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,458 Likes on 902 Posts
I would like to see some long term tests just to cover any unintended consequences with modifying the fuel system, especially after this company had to do a redesign.

Old 06-14-2022, 08:03 AM
acdii
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by jollyrogr
Those S&S videos were great and should dispel any notion that the DPK doesn't work. I was hoping they would have shown what does need to be replaced to get that truck back on the road. Just the CP4 itself? Do they replace the steel lines connected to the CP4? The return one would be full of junk. But the fuel would be filtered 3 times before it gets to the CP4 again.
Just like an AC or transmission replacement, they just get flushed out. The line from the pump head to fuel rail is not torque to yield, but the lines from the fuel rail to injectors are TTY and have to be replaced. The CP4 kit prevents debris from getting to that part so only the pump itself would be replaced. Thats the Disaster that is Prevented!

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-14-2022, 01:39 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 1,017 Likes on 778 Posts
Originally Posted by FishOnOne
I would like to see some long term tests just to cover any unintended consequences with modifying the fuel system, especially after this company had to do a redesign.

there was some buzz 6 months ago about folks who installed the SPE kit and started to get low fuel pressure issues. SPE responded with a video.

didn’t hear anymore since.

no visibility as to what exactly was the issue and/if anything needed to be fixed.

Old 06-16-2022, 10:13 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,446 Likes on 4,695 Posts
There are a lot of copy cat kits out there. But S&S was the originator of this kit for the CP4.2 6.7s. I guess forgery is the highest form of flattery. Mine's going in at one point this year. Then the Air Dog...

Old 06-16-2022, 01:41 PM
acdii
Logistics Pro
Forgery is only when the parts are identical. There are many different ways to accomplish the same goals. The SPE kit is drastically different in how it looks to the S&S kit. The splitter plate on the S&S has the hose bard integrated into it, the one from the SPE kit uses a flare fitting instead, with a completely different way of connecting everything up to accomplish the same thing. The main difference between them is the return filter, SPE uses a fine mesh screen, while the S&S uses a filter. I actually think BOTh together is an even better idea, the scrre give you the chance to check the system without having to pull the filter and cut it open. If the CP4 is good, there will never be a need to replace the filter since it is receiving double prefiltered fuel.

Both kits splice into the fuel line, without any cutting, and adds a second line for the bypass. The SPE is all plug and play with factory fittings and uses hard anodized billet cnc machined parts where S&S uses a single hose with crimped fittings instead. They both accomplish the same goal, but look completely different from each other. The SPE kit looks closer to a factory setup than the S&S kit does. The fitting from the fuel filter is the same type of hardware Ford uses, so would be hard to tell if it is factory or not. S&S uses a rubber line crimped to a factory fitting, and looks after market.

Old 06-17-2022, 10:42 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,446 Likes on 4,695 Posts
I was actually talking about all the copy cats of S&S's original DPK kit and not SPE's kit. Great explanation of the SPE kit though.

As to my non-professional opinion, I like the S&S with that SNAPP filter with the ability to look into the filter because of the clear body. If Donaldson or anyone else can make a canned filter with the same specs as the 2 micron SNAPP filter, then you're talking. But only disadvantage would be not being able to look at filter inside.

Last edited by Overkill2; 06-17-2022 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Add to my comments
Old 06-17-2022, 11:55 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Originally Posted by acdii
Forgery is only when the parts are identical. There are many different ways to accomplish the same goals. The SPE kit is drastically different in how it looks to the S&S kit. The splitter plate on the S&S has the hose bard integrated into it, the one from the SPE kit uses a flare fitting instead, with a completely different way of connecting everything up to accomplish the same thing. The main difference between them is the return filter, SPE uses a fine mesh screen, while the S&S uses a filter. I actually think BOTh together is an even better idea, the scrre give you the chance to check the system without having to pull the filter and cut it open. If the CP4 is good, there will never be a need to replace the filter since it is receiving double prefiltered fuel.

Both kits splice into the fuel line, without any cutting, and adds a second line for the bypass. The SPE is all plug and play with factory fittings and uses hard anodized billet cnc machined parts where S&S uses a single hose with crimped fittings instead. They both accomplish the same goal, but look completely different from each other. The SPE kit looks closer to a factory setup than the S&S kit does. The fitting from the fuel filter is the same type of hardware Ford uses, so would be hard to tell if it is factory or not. S&S uses a rubber line crimped to a factory fitting, and looks after market.
I have both kits in my possession and disagree with some of the comments.

-the SPE setup uses (on the kit I have) pipe sealing tape on the threads. even in the path to the injectors. it would not take much at these high PSI's for the tape to fragment and pieces start flowing into your injectors clogging them up.

-the return screen has a very small surface area about the size of a dime, compared to the 100 or so square inches for the S&S return filter. its not going to take much to clog up the SPE return filter.

-There have been reports by folks using the SPE kit of low fuel pressure. SPE did a rebuttal video about that. Problem with the rebutal video is that the truck SPE used in the video was not a stock truck, it was a highly modified one with over sized CP4 internal parts.

- theres no way your going to convince me the SPE looks oem. Those large billet parts stick out like a sore thumb. the S&S kit uses connect fittings with crimped connections and so does FORD. FORD uses different methods of crimp connecting.

-the S&S kit by far is plug and play and the SPE kit is not. for the S&S kit, there is no prep work, just some CP4 area cleaning and then install. for the SPE kit there is prep work of the SPE kit in that you have to assemble and SPE wants you to use plumbing tape on the threads. that plumbing tape in my mind is a big problem.

-customer support is also an issue. SPE ignors emails and will periodically send generic global emails to all their customers saying "we no you are trying to reach us, sorry, we cant answer you, some day soon, you will get what you paid for months ago.". AND if you call them out on it, they pretty much tell you they dont need your business. S&S on the other hand has always answer my emails, ther're responses are through, highly technical, and they give you great status on orders and ship quick. If you have a support issue with SPE..good luck.

-like I said, I have both, analyzed both, decided to shelve the SPE kit, and install the S&S kit.

-what am I going to do with my SPE kit...nothing...I dont want to sell it to someone and have them tell me their engine is screwed up because of me...while knowing the pluming tape is problematic.

rant over

The following 2 users liked this post by speakerfritz:
Old 06-17-2022, 12:42 PM
Superdave71
Tuned
Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Speakerfritz, I appreciate you review of the available choices. I had a 2016 that had been extremely reliable, then about a month ago my CP4 grenaded. I had 335,000, all trouble free. It was my goal to run it for 10 years, 600k, but i didn’t really feel like rolling the dice on a repair with that many miles. I found a nice 2020 lariat ultimate with under 40k miles for $6k under its original sticker so I jumped in. With the aluminum body, and the bugs worked out of the emission systems, I feel this might be a 10 year truck. I wish I would have put a dpk on the 2016, but I won’t delay in putting one on the new one, I think the S&S is the way to go. Thanks for sharing your observations.

Dave

Old 06-17-2022, 01:20 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 618 Likes on 384 Posts
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
I have both kits in my possession and disagree with some of the comments.

-the SPE setup uses (on the kit I have) pipe sealing tape on the threads. even in the path to the injectors. it would not take much at these high PSI's for the tape to fragment and pieces start flowing into your injectors clogging them up.

-the return screen has a very small surface area about the size of a dime, compared to the 100 or so square inches for the S&S return filter. its not going to take much to clog up the SPE return filter.

-There have been reports by folks using the SPE kit of low fuel pressure. SPE did a rebuttal video about that. Problem with the rebutal video is that the truck SPE used in the video was not a stock truck, it was a highly modified one with over sized CP4 internal parts.

- theres no way your going to convince me the SPE looks oem. Those large billet parts stick out like a sore thumb. the S&S kit uses connect fittings with crimped connections and so does FORD. FORD uses different methods of crimp connecting.

-the S&S kit by far is plug and play and the SPE kit is not. for the S&S kit, there is no prep work, just some CP4 area cleaning and then install. for the SPE kit there is prep work of the SPE kit in that you have to assemble and SPE wants you to use plumbing tape on the threads. that plumbing tape in my mind is a big problem.

-customer support is also an issue. SPE ignors emails and will periodically send generic global emails to all their customers saying "we no you are trying to reach us, sorry, we cant answer you, some day soon, you will get what you paid for months ago.". AND if you call them out on it, they pretty much tell you they dont need your business. S&S on the other hand has always answer my emails, ther're responses are through, highly technical, and they give you great status on orders and ship quick. If you have a support issue with SPE..good luck.

-like I said, I have both, analyzed both, decided to shelve the SPE kit, and install the S&S kit.

-what am I going to do with my SPE kit...nothing...I dont want to sell it to someone and have them tell me their engine is screwed up because of me...while knowing the pluming tape is problematic.

rant over
The 2 things I didn't like about the S&S kit was I don't like adding a 3rd filter and lines, that's just more places to have issues, and Unless they changed it, you have to hack apart one of your fuel lines to install it, making it so you can't go back to stock without reordering OEM fuel lines.

Old 06-17-2022, 02:16 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ToMang07
The 2 things I didn't like about the S&S kit was I don't like adding a 3rd filter and lines, that's just more places to have issues, and Unless they changed it, you have to hack apart one of your fuel lines to install it, making it so you can't go back to stock without reordering OEM fuel lines.

theres no hacking of lines on the S&S gen 2 kit. I know what you are talking about and that was the gen1 stlye of install. But not on the gen2 kit.

Old 06-17-2022, 02:23 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
theres no hacking of lines on the S&S gen 2 kit. I know what you are talking about and that was the gen1 stlye of install. But not on the gen2 kit.
That's good to know, thanks.

Old 06-17-2022, 03:06 PM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
This lists the Gen 2 kit as the one that hacks the line up.

Old 06-17-2022, 03:41 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ToMang07
This lists the Gen 2 kit as the one that hacks the line up.

i installed the gen2 kit. There is no line cutting.

Quick Reply: DPK; Does it work?