General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

How effective is gun control?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 08:04 PM
r3830
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ctfuzzy,

You know.....I've been a member of the SSAA here for many years. They are I would suggest, the largest collective firearms organisation in this country. There are a number of people within who work hard at trying to preserve our sports - but complacency from the majority will eventually lead to the demise of the shooting sports. From what I understand, the NRA is a strong, well disciplined organisation that also works hard for its people. My only hope is that they have the foresight and strength to prevent the course that is taking place here.

Thanks again!

Paul

Old 11-10-2003, 11:00 AM
sinjin
Posting Guru
Re: Three Room Theory

Originally posted by ctfuzzy
Three rooms:

#1 - Filled with known to be unarmed people.
I enter thre room weapon drawn and pistol whip the first big guy I see, put all other on their faces and rob the lot.

#2 - Filled with people you are unsure whether they are armed or not.[/QUOTE]

I enter the room weapon drawn and take the first woman I come to hostage, put all others on their faces and rob the lot shooting the first person who lodks at me sideways.

#3 - Filled with folks known to be armed and competent with their weapons.[/QUOTE]

I enter the room weapon drawn and shoot the pregant woman. Then I take a nice wide woman as human shield, put all others on their faces, rob the lot and shoot one on the way out for good measure.

Room #1 Nobody killed
Room #2 Maybe Nobody killed
Room #3 Well you get the idea.

BTW the only place I've been where just about everyone was armed and not afraid to use it was Jamaica and it was friggin' scary.

Last edited by sinjin; 11-10-2003 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:26 AM
dhermesc
Posting Guru
sinjin:

Do your neighbors a favor. Post a sign in your yard that states, "Home owner is not armed and home contains no fire arms". Crime in the rest of your neighborhood goes to zero, but you house is a war zone.

As for #3, pregnant woman shoots you and taxpayers save thousands on court costs and prison time.

Old 11-10-2003, 11:48 AM
sinjin
Posting Guru
Don't get me wrong. I love the whole frontier, wild west sort of thing but reality is rarely like the movies. Assuming you're home when invaded and assuming you have a weapon and assuming you get to it in time and assuming you can unlock it and load it quickly enough and assuming you don't panic and shoot straight and assuming there's only one so the other doesn't shoot you, sounds like a plan.

Why are stories of citizens thwarting crime with their guns so uncommon?

Old 11-10-2003, 01:53 PM
dhermesc
Posting Guru
You're doing a lot of assuming. First off I have confronted armed individuals in my home and on my land, no deaths, and two of the three went home unarmed, the third rode to jail in a county police car. Second the there is nothing more dangerous or useless then an unloaded firearm. Third, I have no intention of having to "unlock" a firearm.

My wife learned the value of having a firearm at hand when a person with "car trouble" attempted to force his way into our home when she refused him entry. When she offered to let him use the cordless outside he kicked in the door to find himself facing my Ruger Security Six. He left immediately. Thats 3 occasions in 6 years that firearms protected my family and property. Two of which would have ended badly with bodily harm for us had we not been forewarned and forearmed. I live in the supposedly safe country side of rural Kansas. Previously I had never pointed a gun at a person in my life.

As for your wild frontier, what gives you that idea? Per capita more gunplay play takes place in modern urban areas such as Washington DC, then ever took place in places like Dodge City. Quit watching old Gunsmoke reruns and wake up the the world as it exist.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand.~~SUSAN B. ANTHONY

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud

Last edited by dhermesc; 11-10-2003 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:51 PM
ctfuzzy
Posting Guru
Originally posted by sinjin
Why are stories of citizens thwarting crime with their guns so uncommon?
They are not so rare however, they are highly suppressed by both the governemnt and the (general) media.

I know it'll kill you to do it, but go to the library and look at the NRA magazine.

They relay numerous DOCUMENTED stories of this nature every issue. Oh, they provide sources for verification of the stories as a matter of S.O.P. (' standard operating procedure ' for those of you TLA impaired ).

FWIW

Old 11-10-2003, 04:57 PM
Waxy
Postmaster
Originally posted by dhermesc

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud
"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." author unknown.

I can't believe people still quote that coke head in the year 2003.

Waxy

Old 11-10-2003, 05:21 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
Originally posted by Waxy
"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." author unknown.

Waxy
Judging by the other guys quote, I'll second that Waxy.

Old 11-10-2003, 06:10 PM
Jlower
Senior User

" This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more eficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future."

--- Adolf Hitler, 1935

It seems that polititians never really learn.

Old 11-10-2003, 08:05 PM
ctfuzzy
Posting Guru
Waxy
Why not, Waxy?

He has a cool sounding name.

Old 11-10-2003, 09:25 PM
r3830
Junior User
ctfuzzy,
I hear comments being made to the 'Patriot Act'. Found some interesting info that I thought I would share. Bear in mind that I am not well versed in the various amendments of your society.

http://www.rense.com/general34/takeover.htm

Regards,

Paul.

Old 11-10-2003, 09:43 PM
ctfuzzy
Posting Guru
Re: Re: Three Room Theory

Originally posted by sinjin
. . .
BTW the only place I've been where just about everyone was armed and not afraid to use it was Jamaica and it was friggin' scary.
I think you bring up a good point here. One well worth pointing out, even if it has to be based on opinion rather than statistics.

Because of the contrast.

It is my experience that a person who . . appropriately, carries a weapon, is scared to death to have to use it.

I have been known "in times past" to carry a handgun legally concealed or readily at hand if needed. Myself, personally, in retrospect, see that I was probably more cautious than usual to avoid potential threat regardless of whether I suspected anyone else might be armed or not.

I guess I am babbling on trying to convey a concept that can be conveyed much simpler than my flubber fingers are doing it:

"With the weapon comes the responsibility associated with it."

TaDA - I done it! ()

I think your example is of folks that for whatever reason have not learned this. They will - the hard way I am afraid.

Respectfully,
Captain Fluffy.

Old 11-11-2003, 07:45 AM
dhermesc
Posting Guru
TO WAXY:

"Life is tough. Its tougher if you're stupid" -John Wayne

To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." --Ted Nugent

Old 11-11-2003, 09:39 AM
Waxy
Postmaster
Originally posted by
TO WAXY:

"Life is tough. Its tougher if you're stupid" -John Wayne

To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." --Ted Nugent
So your response is to call me stupid under a very thin veil and assume I'm anti-gun.

I'd expect nothing less from you dhermesc.

As for Freud, I'm not going to waste my time, but I'm sure if I spent a couple minutes I could come up with some quote relating guns to phallic symbols or compensation for lacking in certain physical areas. The man was a whacko, addicted to cocaine.

Waxy

Old 11-11-2003, 01:26 PM
kennyrrt
Senior User
[
I'd expect nothing less from you dhermesc.

As for Freud, I'm not going to waste my time, but I'm sure if I spent a couple minutes I could come up with some quote relating guns to phallic symbols or compensation for lacking in certain physical areas. The man was a whacko, addicted to cocaine.

Waxy [/B]
I agree with the sentiment Waxy. Question, does this apply for big tires?

Quick Reply: How effective is gun control?