Engine Chirping

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 07:52 AM
jtwest
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Chirping

I drive a 95 Explorer that has developed an engine chirping. This all started when I hosed off the engine. I've had the belt changed, but that didn't fix it.

The chirping seems to be worse in cold weather. It accelerates as the engine accelerates and decreases as the engine decelerates. Sometimes it chirps, sometimes it doesn't.

I'm not a mechanic, so here's my question - does anybody know what the hell is wrong with this engine and what's a guestimate on the cost to fix it?

Old 11-08-2003, 08:02 AM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
Is it your serpentine belt? Mist a little water on it and see if it goes away if it does maybe its time for a new belt. I spray mine with wd-40 everyonce in a while if I get tired of the squeeking, I don't recommend it though replacement is best. good luck hope it is something simple

Old 11-08-2003, 08:03 AM
jtwest
New User
Thanks and I'll give that a shot. Is there anyway I could have knocked the grease off of the bearings? Seems I heard somebody say that was possible.

Old 11-08-2003, 08:19 AM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
I am sure all the bearings on the accessories are sealed so I would not consider that. If the belt needs replacing then try that it should take care of it. later

Old 11-12-2003, 07:21 PM
MunsterGarage
Junior User
maybe the bearring in the idler pulley....had a similar problem, ended up shredding in down to the bearrings...who invented plastic pulleys anyways?..lol..

Old 11-19-2003, 01:52 PM
91Van
Junior User
I had the same problem and the good people of this forum told me to change the belt and use a piece of emory cloth and scuff up the pulleys to remove any glazing, before putting on the new belt. Replace the belt with a goodyear gatorback. I haven't heard a chirp yet.

Good luck!