6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

MAP sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 12:46 PM
Boaterguy
Laughing Gas
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
MAP sensor

2015 Powerstroke
Can the MAP sensor be cleaned, or is a replacement the only option?

Doing a throttle body cleaning due to oily residue in the cold side pipe, and a gunk in the throttle body, so I'm sure the sensor is full of carbon as well. No codes, just preventative maintenance.

Old 03-10-2022, 01:33 PM
C12H24
Posting Guru
Received 503 Likes on 264 Posts
Generally, it gets replaced. The way the sensor works is there is a flexible silicon chip that separates the manifold pressure from a pressure on the other side of the chip. As manifold pressure changes, the chip flexes and varies circuit resistance, which in turn creates a specific voltage that the PCM reads as your manifold pressure. The chip is some what fragile. I don't want to say no, it can't ever be cleaned, but usually, the process of cleaning it damages it. You have nothing to lose by trying, so what the hell, right?

Old 03-10-2022, 03:40 PM
Dirthawg2.0
Tuned
Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts
I'm wondering if OP is talking about the intake air temperature sensor? The sensor that is located in the CAC pipe. That is not the MAP sensor, the MAP sensor is located on the intake plenum.

Old 03-10-2022, 05:21 PM
Boaterguy
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by C12H24
You have nothing to lose by trying, so what the hell, right?
Well, I kinda do since this is my daily driver and if I damage it, I'm stuck till I can get another one. I was just trying to save the $80, but it probably better to replace. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-10-2022, 05:23 PM
Boaterguy
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Dirthawg2.0
I'm wondering if OP is talking about the intake air temperature sensor? The sensor that is located in the CAC pipe. That is not the MAP sensor, the MAP sensor is located on the intake plenum.
No, I was referring to the MAP on the plenum. I found a different thread here that was talking about the carbon build up on it, affecting performance. Figure I'll take care of that when I clean the throttle body.........

Old 03-10-2022, 06:35 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
I tried cleaning mine, it was packed full of soot. Made things worse (damaged it, it was more sensitive than I anticipated). My truck sounded like it had a stopped up exhaust and exhaust fumes were entering the cab so badly I hardly made it one block around the neighborhood to test. Replaced the MAP sensor (expensive part) which corrected the incorrect boost gauge and the exhaust issues.

The following 2 users liked this post by kper05:
Old 03-10-2022, 07:04 PM
Boaterguy
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by kper05
I tried cleaning mine, it was packed full of soot. Made things worse (damaged it, it was more sensitive than I anticipated). My truck sounded like it had a stopped up exhaust and exhaust fumes were entering the cab so badly I hardly made it one block around the neighborhood to test. Replaced the MAP sensor (expensive part) which corrected the incorrect boost gauge and the exhaust issues.
I'm think I'll order a new one. The motorcraft part is about $77 plus shipping. There are some aftermarket offerings for half that price, but been burned with that before.

The sensor is an easy R&R? It doesn't need to be 'programmed to the ECM like every other damn thing in these trucks??

Old 03-10-2022, 07:47 PM
Dirthawg2.0
Tuned
Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts
I'm an advocate for preventitive maintenance but this is one item I wouldn't bother replacing until the truck throws a code. It might be a good idea to have a replacement handy for when that time comes but replacing an $80 sensor that is working correctly just doesn't make any sense to me.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dirthawg2.0:
Old 03-10-2022, 08:17 PM
Boaterguy
Laughing Gas
replacing an $80 sensor that is working correctly just doesn't make any sense to me.
I'm right there with ya. My other thread was about my aftermarket CAC pipe boots slipping off of the pipe. I was in Regen way to often, and the truck felt sluggish. It didn't matter that I tightened the clamps to the point I felt I was going to break something. I took it apart to reinstall and it looks like some oil residue seeped in there causing them to slip. Im not over boosting, and even with my heavy trailer, hardly ever see anything over 20lbs.

I saw an old thread here where the same symptoms were experienced, and they had cleaned their MAP and it solved their problem. I was amazed at how much soot and crap was in there after 90K miles, so I thought my sensor is probably coated with soot also.

Truck has no codes or soft codes present. Planning on cleaning the throttle body this next week since I don't like wrenching in the garage when it's cold. Another cold blast and snow hitting us southerners again........so ready for it to be over with.

Old 03-10-2022, 08:53 PM
Overkill2
Fleet Owner

Received 6,663 Likes on 4,850 Posts
I looked at this and may order one when I order my S&B intake.

What do you guys think?

https://www.sbfilters.com/2011-2019-...6-7-map-sensor

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-10-2022, 09:00 PM
Boaterguy
Laughing Gas
Nice idea. Is the sensor the same quality as OEM? Will.iy still.work the way it should if it's not in the plenum as far?

I might consider this one as well.

Old 03-10-2022, 09:03 PM
Overkill2
Fleet Owner

That's just a pic of their spacer installed. You don't get the MAP sensor with the spacer.

Old 03-11-2022, 06:39 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Boaterguy
I'm think I'll order a new one. The motorcraft part is about $77 plus shipping. There are some aftermarket offerings for half that price, but been burned with that before.

The sensor is an easy R&R? It doesn't need to be 'programmed to the ECM like every other damn thing in these trucks??
I'm not aware of it needing to be. I replaced the part and my strange boost issue was resolved but I had an active issue.

I'm an advocate for preventitive maintenance but this is one item I wouldn't bother replacing until the truck throws a code. It might be a good idea to have a replacement handy for when that time comes but replacing an $80 sensor that is working correctly just doesn't make any sense to me.
I agree, if there aren't any current issues, avoiding touching the MAP sensor is the better advise. Cleaning it has a high chance of damaging it.

Old 03-11-2022, 08:05 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 1,062 Likes on 816 Posts
Originally Posted by Overkill2
I looked at this and may order one when I order my S&B intake.

What do you guys think?

https://www.sbfilters.com/2011-2019-...6-7-map-sensor

just ordered a spacer to try it out.

Old 03-11-2022, 09:50 AM
Overkill2
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
just ordered a spacer to try it out.
You the man Fritz...

Quick Reply: MAP sensor