Bronco II Ford Bronco II

EMISS light

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 07:47 PM
reddeer52
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EMISS light

I bought BII used, this is my first one. 1985, 2.8 L. , 4x4, XLT. The emiss light has been flashing on at times. Bought a code reader from Walmart for this vehicle. Gives code for "egr vent fault". Manuals I have do not give info about this. Reading the VECI label, I think it will be one of the vaccum relays on the right fender. correct?
Also a code for the "primary fuel pump" or "TCP". Since this is a carbed engine there is only the manual fuel pump, so it must be "TCP". Is that the "temp. compensated pump" at the front of the carb? Or the relay for this on the fender?
Today the EMISS light has stayed on constantly, the engine died just as the light came on, but restarted and seems to run just fine. Books say this is a maintance light, says to use phillips screw driver under dash , press into label that reads "RESET". I can't find this label anywhere. HELP!
Thanks Reddeer52

Last edited by reddeer52; 11-06-2003 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:10 PM
Msloke
New User
Access to reset the EMISS is inside the glovebox. Open the glovebox, then lightly press in on the sides and drop the glovebox door down (be sure and take everything out of it first), that will give you access to reset the EMISS. My Emiss light has come on at least 4 or 5 times (has 302,000 miles on it) so I keep a "cheat sheet" note in glove box on resetting. Instead of a small screwdriver, I use the slider part of a tire pressure gauge to insert in the hole to reset the switch. Sometimes have to do more than once to hit the right spot to get it to reset . But basically, you insert the screwdriver or tire gauge sliding part into the hole where it should say "reset" and lightly hold in it, then turn ignition switch to "run" position (Emiss light should come on) and hold it there for about 5 seconds, remove the screwdriver and light should go out in a couple seconds then turn key off. If it doesn't go out in a couple seconds, turn key off and start all over again. When it does go out after doing the reset, turn key off then back on and it should work normally, going off in a couple seconds.

Old 11-06-2003, 08:19 PM
reddeer52
New User
Thanks, my books did not say where the reset was located. I'll try that tomorrow as it is dark and cold out now.
Reddeer52

Old 11-12-2004, 03:15 PM
mharper
New User
Smile Thanks for this...

My manual also didn't say where the module was, just "working under the dash..."

What threw me a little was that the sticker that said "Reset" was literally covering the hole I needed to insert the screwdriver through!

Anyway, all better!