6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

to add DEF or not----- when the gauge always shows full

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 10:43 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,204 Likes on 578 Posts
No, it had reset on its own. They did reinitiate the system though. A fancy word for reboot I guess? It did nothing to help the issue.

Old 03-05-2022, 06:05 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by System
That's the older style tank @kper05 The 2017+ uses a single sensor at the bottom of the tank that shoots a pulse up through the DEF to get the level. The OP has a 19 so newer system. Otherwise, I agree with you. Fill it when the screen pops up telling you to do so and don't think about it otherwise.
Thank you for the education. I didn't see when scrolling where anything changed (nothing referring to a level sensor within the DEF tank section) in the 2020 update book but I now see what you're referring to explained in the reductant quality module paragraph. Is the gauge getting the data (BCM?) from from the DEF quality module?

Since the DEF tank is known full, speakerfritz needs to drive for 2,000 miles and observe the gauge results. Or we are missing important information in the first post.

Old 03-05-2022, 06:11 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,524 Likes on 1,087 Posts
yes drive the truck for many miles and the notification of less than 200 to empty.

Old 03-05-2022, 06:19 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,204 Likes on 578 Posts
I'm honestly not sure how it works now. I remember when Curtis (Pocket) was here he explained it in detail as it was his wheelhouse with Ford. All I remember is when the 2017 redesign came out the DEF tank got bigger and lost its side probes in exchange for the single bottom sensor. This prevented the issue the 11-16's had with frequent filling fooling the system into thinking there was a problem.

Old 03-05-2022, 08:19 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,617 Likes on 740 Posts
I have not filled DEF from a JUG in a long time. If I'm at a station that has DEF at the pump and I notice that I' Half or lower, I top off.

Old 03-10-2022, 04:19 PM
hernrick
Mountain Pass
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
I have one of those DEF systems that always says its full. now before I go on...let me just say I am also one of those owners that have to drive two states away to get any decent service so I try to do a once a year drop off for everything....so no..just take my under warranty truck to the dealer yadda, yadda is not practical.

back to the DEF subject.

it always shows full and on every fuel tank full I add new clean never opened DEF . so far this has worked out...I never have run out yet...while the indicator always shows full.

this time around...I noticedafter filling the def...I can drive it around the block..and I can still add more def...I guess theres air entrapment or chambers that the def can settle into.

so after doing this for a while...I think I have it filled as much as possible.

maybe with my max filled def, there will be enough splashy splashy to dissolve the def crystals that prevent the indicator from working correctly.

I did the forscan SCR service after refilling as well.

hopefully when I bring it in to the dealer....they can fix it.

cheers
Don't know if you gone to the dealer yet but the DEF gauge is definitely not accurate at all. Anyway, I always wait to fill after gauge indicates less than 1/4, sometimes I've gone down to near zero but it will only take 5 gallons. So based on the miles I have driven before filling, you should be safe going up to 3k depending on your driving particulars. Since you use a DEF box, I would carry one starting at 2k after filling up and just wait and see if the system ever realizes your empty. This may help "clean" the sensor if its crusty. Just a thought.

Old 03-10-2022, 09:30 PM
Tideman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a 2015 and had a problem with the Def 500 mile light coming on even when I just filled with Def. Got online and searched for several hours and came across 1 post that stated the same problem. He bought a box of premium blue at someone’s suggestion and it cleared up after about a day. Showed a picture of it actually desolving some of the crystallization . Bought a box and tried it and it solved my problem. For $30.00 worth looking at. At least it was $30.00 six months ago.

Old 03-11-2022, 09:39 AM
Dirthawg2.0
Tuned
Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Tideman
I have a 2015 and had a problem with the Def 500 mile light coming on even when I just filled with Def. Got online and searched for several hours and came across 1 post that stated the same problem. He bought a box of premium blue at someone’s suggestion and it cleared up after about a day. Showed a picture of it actually desolving some of the crystallization . Bought a box and tried it and it solved my problem. For $30.00 worth looking at. At least it was $30.00 six months ago.
My 2016 has done that one time since new. I filled up with DEF at a truck island and after driving away from the pump I got the 500 miles to empty. The message went away on it's own the next day at 449 miles to empty. The OP has a different gen truck than we do with a different sensor assembly so it's not really apples to apples.

Old 03-11-2022, 09:52 AM
Overkill2
Fleet Owner

Received 6,662 Likes on 4,849 Posts
I've filled mine every 3k to 4k miles before with no problems. And I've let it get down also to the 500 mile limit and filled with no problems.

Old 03-11-2022, 09:57 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 1,062 Likes on 816 Posts
Originally Posted by BC2019F250
I'm confused by your post. I read that you fill the DEF every time you fill the diesel tank. If that is the case, how can the tank ever get low? It only has a 7 gallon capacity.

I go 3 months before I need to add more, but that is dependent on how much you drive and or tow.

thats right, my dash def gauge always shows full so there’s no way to tell if it’s nearing empty , etc.

not having a way to know when it’s nearing empty….since it’s always shows full…I just refill it every tank full of fuel.

it takes about a gallon and a half of def per 50 gallons of fuel.

i do not know if I let it run to empty if I would get any warnings since the dash is always indicating full.

even if I wait until two or three tanks of fuel goes by…it will still show full even though I’m adding 1.5 to 3 gallons of def.

so basically it consumes def, it’s just not accurately indicating how much def is left.

Old 03-11-2022, 09:59 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Overkill2
I've filled mine every 3k to 4k miles before with no problems. And I've let it get down also to the 500 mile limit and filled with no problems.

do you think my “500” mile limit warning will come on if my def indicator always indicates full?

Old 03-11-2022, 10:01 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Tideman

i switched to premium def to see if it makes a difference . Nothing yet. I’ve run 5 gallons of premium def thru it so far.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-12-2022, 07:25 AM
Overkill2
Fleet Owner

Received 6,662 Likes on 4,849 Posts
thats right, my dash def gauge always shows full so there’s no way to tell if it’s nearing empty , etc.

not having a way to know when it’s nearing empty….since it’s always shows full…I just refill it every tank full of fuel.

it takes about a gallon and a half of def per 50 gallons of fuel.

i do not know if I let it run to empty if I would get any warnings since the dash is always indicating full.

even if I wait until two or three tanks of fuel goes by…it will still show full even though I’m adding 1.5 to 3 gallons of def.

so basically it consumes def, it’s just not accurately indicating how much def is left.
According to your estimation, you use approximately 6.0 gallons of DEF for 200 gallons of fuel. You'll have one gallon left after 200 x average MPG. If you add another 33 gallons after that, you should have a half gallon of DEF left, assuming your calculations are correct.

do you think my “500” mile limit warning will come on if my def indicator always indicates full?
I would think so. Go for it and find out.

Old 03-18-2022, 04:10 PM
robert sloane
Laughing Gas
Received 300 Likes on 209 Posts
toss this out there
since its been an ongoing issue,
and the systems have had some issues,
have you tried to use a pump and suck out all the def and see if it sets a light or changes gauge reading?

mine stays FULL until one day after a few hundred miles it will drop to 3/4 and then hang there for long long time, at least 500 miles, then it will go between 1/2 and 3/4 and then i top it off.

i have also had to stay at full for several tanks of fuel, then one day drop to 3/4
i have also driven straight for 10 hrs, and used 700 miles of fuel at 78 mph or more and it never changed from off full.
i have also driven the same route on return and it went down to 1/2
both trips it did passive re gens and kept the dpf around 20%

then did the same trip a few months later and dpf did a commanded regen and then kept it at 20% and used 3/4 def, i filled up and drove back the next day and it stayed full.
so i think the system has no real set of rules, so many variables in the logarithm from dpf egts, road speed, fuel quality, winds, temps etc.

i would drain the def tank and see if it makes a difference in gauge reading. or drop it and really empty it and see ??

Old 03-18-2022, 05:06 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
I tried to drain it with a 1/2 hose,,,but it wouldnt go down enough ....maybe a 1/4 inch hose ....sounds good in theory..but I dont think anyone has actually drainied the def with a hose thru the fill.

I defintely would love to drain it .

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: to add DEF or not----- when the gauge always shows full