Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 300 Exhaust upgrade options

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2000, 09:14 PM
Larry619
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally! I'm gonna get a new exhaust system for my inline 6. I found a place that will fabricate a catback exhaust around a two chamber Flowmaster exhaust (40 series) for $225.

so here are is my question. WHat style will function AND sound best for my 1993 300 I6 EFI?

It has the split manifold with 2 inline cats. If i bolt on a fabricated catback exhaust on there i have three options:
1)Dual rear exit 2) single rear exit 3)stock side exit.

A guy that was in there said i would get the most sound and performance out of a single rear exit on 2.5" piping (through his experience with a F250). He also said that it was louder than most dual exits he saw around. At that point i said "screw the way a dual exit looks...i want to be heard!"

SO do you agree with this guy's opinion. I'd like to because this setup will save me 160 dollars over the dual rear setup.

All your suggestions are welcome! I'm planning to get it next week...so if you can convince me on one setup....i'll see what i can do about sending a WAV file to any of you interested in how a 300 sounds like with a Flowmaster cat back.

P.S. Is it possible to convert the dual inline cats to just ONE big Cat? WIll it increasing performance? or will it screw up my California Smog checks?

Old 05-23-2000, 11:18 PM
whaynes
Senior User

If you could post your performance increase opinion that would be appreciated.

Thanks,

WHaynes

Old 05-24-2000, 06:04 PM
StrangeRanger
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're splitting it after the cats, there's probably very little difference in performance between single and dual. Personally, I like the sound of the single. Others will disagree.

I'm not sure about your local smog *****, but they probably can count to 2 (and not much beyond) so it's probably safer and more compatible with the emissions strategies Ford built into the truck to either leave it alone or replace with 2 high flow cats. Good cats (Bassani among others) actually cost very little power compared to straight pipes and with the computer systems they hasve in place, it may actually run better with cats than without.

Old 05-25-2000, 06:29 PM
CRITTERGITTER
New User

IF YOU EVER PLAN TO PUT A CAMPER SHELL ON YOUR TRUCK THEN DON'T USE REAR EXIT EXHAUST!!!! Carbon monoxide will fill the camper and exterminate any canine or human passengers that are riding back there. I have a three chamber-50 series flowmaster with stock side exit on my 300 and it has a low mellow rumble when accellerating and fairly quiet at idle. The two chamber-40 series is supposed to have a deeper, more aggressive tone. Should sound great on your truck if you don't mind the sound resinance inside the cab. Consider maybe the Delta Flow version.

Old 05-25-2000, 07:11 PM
fordbeast1
6th Gear

First of all i would like to hear what your truck sounds like when you get it finished and it doesn't matter which system you choose my email is fordbeast1(No Email Addresses In Posts!).
Anyway i recommend running single exhaust out the converter and then in the muffler without a tailpipe and just use a turndown to point the fumes down. I have this setup on my truck i have a straight pipe with no converter into a glasspack and that's all. it is quiet at idle but when i get on it it is louder than most v-8's and when i down shift it sounds nice.To me a tailpipe just restricts the flow and when i took the tailpipe off my truck i noticed more acceleration and it was 25% louder and with a 40 series your truck having such a big bore will sound obnoxious

Old 05-25-2000, 07:31 PM
Larry619
Junior User

You know, i heard about that rear exit exhaust effect. I do have a Camper but nobody is aloud to go back there anyway....but what if i left the rear sliding cab window open?....that would be a problem. Okay new question....DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OTHER IDEAS FOR PIPING?

Fordbeast1: that pipe idea of yours is interesting but i'm afraid that it would be too obnoxious for my tastes. how bout a side exit..or maybe even dual in front of the rear wheels rather than the stock exit? <p.s. i will email the soundbite when it is done....>

I heard about the flowmaster delta technology and saw there SPL charts from the websites. Has anyone actually heard these mufflers? if so...how much does this feature dampen the noise OUTSIDE the truck? One miniscule concern that i have is cab noise. IS it really that anoying?

P.s. to anyone that wants a soundbite just post your email addy and i will get back to you all <i'll at least>. It should be done by Friday, June 2 2000

Old 05-26-2000, 07:42 PM
AlM
Posting Guru