6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

06 F250 Fuel leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 06:42 PM
RuralTowner
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 F250 Fuel leak

F250 w/ 212k on the clock. (EDIT: Correction to year. It's a 2004.)

Left truck running while making quick stop in a local store. Was a waft of diesel smell but what diesel doesn't? Came out to see what looked like a fresh wet spot under the front of truck. Got closer & could see active drips of about 1 every couple seconds. Reached under to dip a finger at first for feel then smell. Definitely diesel. So far is only confirmed to drip while truck is running. Haven't yet tried to see if it will with truck off but key left on & or cycled. Does NOT leave spots when not running except for any fuel that hasn't yet had the chance to find it's way down after shutdown.

What might the most likely culprits be? Supply line connection to rails? Seals @ injectors?

Old 10-19-2021, 07:31 AM
Striderwv
More Turbo
Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts
Just got to chace it down. Where in front of truck, what side, under engine, in front/side of engine??? Where exactly after it sits? May be around upper filter??? How's your fuel pressure? Mine doesn't smell like diesel, more like a saw mill

Old 10-19-2021, 11:51 AM
Visurveyor
Fleet Mechanic
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts
Check fuel regulator cover o-ring. And fuel lines going into regulator.

Old 10-19-2021, 03:39 PM
RuralTowner
Mountain Pass
Drips down off the back of motor//bell housing from what I can tell. Diesel smell being from leaks onto a warm engine.

Will check those locations up top.

Old 10-19-2021, 04:59 PM
RuralTowner
Mountain Pass
Had to run a short errand so used the truck for the 14mi round trip. Sure enough it was leaking when there & what looks to be more so when back because more had a chance to pool.
It's dripping down off the drivers front corner, down onto what I'm guessing is the power steering in the lower left corner, then down onto both the ground directly & also the cross member. The front diff & anything aft is certainly in little danger of developing a patina anytime soon. Not that that would happen quickly in the dry desert to begin with.

EDIT: Now that I know what the regulator looks like. Started truck back up & shined the light on the area. Saw the top seam starting to look a tad wet then peeked @ the underside. Drip drip, etc. Leak found.

EDIT 2: Got a few options to fix the regulator. Just use the standard kit which is a couple O-rings + the formed seal? OR Possibly the "upgrade" kit with is 1 O-ring + seal + spring? OR Just better off getting the complete regulator...listed as the upgrade but has a new housing, mount screws, more O-rings, couple plastic looking bits, spring, & a brass plunger(?)?

Old 10-19-2021, 07:16 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,441 Posts
Get the Ford kit, otherwise you’ll be doing it again.

Old 10-19-2021, 08:34 PM
RuralTowner
Mountain Pass
Understandable.
Autozone's options are Dorman for the basic kit ($34), Duralast for the "upgrade" kit (28), & Techsmart for the complete regulator (53). But made with 99% certainty you know where. Or at least more likely made @ the sub-standard factory while "OEM" might get made at the upper end if not over here.

Found the whole thing here: https://ktperformance.net/i-13474049...er-stroke.html
For $64 (discounted from 85) + shipping.
The local non-chain parts store might be able to get the same exact thing as well.
Got the oldest FORD dealership in the state to go to for OEM bits but there the cost is likely to be a bit more. OR maybe just get it there as the above might cost the same after shipping.

Will figure it out tomorrow when everyone else is open.

Old 10-20-2021, 06:34 AM
Striderwv
More Turbo
Too Many Toys has a great youtube video on how to install the screws/bolts back in.

Old 10-20-2021, 07:06 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Originally Posted by RuralTowner
Understandable.
Autozone's options are Dorman for the basic kit ($34), Duralast for the "upgrade" kit (28), & Techsmart for the complete regulator (53). But made with 99% certainty you know where. Or at least more likely made @ the sub-standard factory while "OEM" might get made at the upper end if not over here.

Found the whole thing here: https://ktperformance.net/i-13474049...er-stroke.html
For $64 (discounted from 85) + shipping.
The local non-chain parts store might be able to get the same exact thing as well.
Got the oldest FORD dealership in the state to go to for OEM bits but there the cost is likely to be a bit more. OR maybe just get it there as the above might cost the same after shipping.

Will figure it out tomorrow when everyone else is open.

Still, less expensive from an actual Ford dealer, unless they are backordered.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...or-3c3z9t517ag

Thanks, Doug. Too many have stripped those screws out.

Old 10-20-2021, 07:23 AM
Striderwv
More Turbo
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
Thanks, Doug. Too many have stripped those screws out.
Yea, I was lucky. Find myself looking at bolts/screws closer and using the backoff technique more and more these days. Just yesterday on the air compressor control unit. Thanks for the tip!!!

Old 10-20-2021, 08:35 AM
Visurveyor
Fleet Mechanic
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts
Glad you found the leak. Most times that you smell diesel coming from your motor, it is usually the regulator area. Definitely go ford oem products or you will be redoing it in a year.

Old 10-20-2021, 10:43 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 80 Posts
Inspect the wiring harness just below your leak. They go to the clutch on the radiator fan. If they are soft and sticky clean them up with electronics cleaner and get some tape or anti-chaff tubing on them. If they short in the future you could be in a no crank/no start situation.

my truck had leaked for a while before I noticed and the diesel had softened the rubber in the track bar bushing also. Steering got vague and truck wandered around a little but the high speed wobble got my attention. Check it for a while and make sure the rubber isn’t coming out of the bushing.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-20-2021, 05:52 PM
RuralTowner
Mountain Pass
Linking the part just for reference. https://ktperformance.net/i-13474049...er-stroke.html
The leak is coming from the bottom seam of this part where it goes onto the filter housing & is weeping slow from the top as well. Clear as day.
Didn't notice a wiring harness on this one unless it's hidden deeper.

Old 10-20-2021, 06:12 PM
RuralTowner
Mountain Pass
Looks like if I want the Ford kit for certain is to use 1 of those links. The local auto parts can get me the whole thing OEM for $300 but not the kit as they're not sure if their warehouse has the kit or not. Even called the local dealership...for what it was worth. Tack another 50+% or so onto the previous quote as they only had the whole unit on hand and the kit would be special order from the sound of it.

Old 10-20-2021, 06:15 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

If KT has the kit in stock, as long as it's a Motorcraft and not a Motorcraft copy, its worth the extra money to get it.

Quick Reply: 06 F250 Fuel leak