Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

problem with '02 front tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 05:06 PM
theologian
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problem with '02 front tires

What would cause the front tires of my (sliknspeedy's) 02 F250 crew cab lariat 4x4 powerstroke truck to break the 'bands' inside the tire, and would this cause a very loud rumbling in the cab, and could such a thing damage the caliper?? I have just been informed all of this by a total moron at Lewis Ford, Memphis, and need to understand how this could happen, and how to avoid it occurring with the $400 worth of replacement stuff they put on without mending the problem with the caliper.....

I hate dealerships, but when you have an extended warranty, I guess you are stuck with them.

Theo

Old 11-01-2003, 05:19 PM
ctfuzzy
Posting Guru
Bill, as I am sure your common sense is telling you:

he is talking major tire structrual failure.

Surely you experienced a high speed blowout, the tire came apart, and whooped the dickens out of your caliper, fender, bumper, and anything else that it came into contact with.

. . right?

Otherwise, I have to think this nincompoop is delusional (and/or hoping you are).

If you simply "broke the belts" the tires would exibit a marked flat spot. The resuting noise would be *rationally* proportunate to that flat spot, and would manafest no other "major" symptoms.

. . that I am aware of.

FWIW.

Old 11-01-2003, 05:20 PM
ctfuzzy
Posting Guru
Originally posted by ctfuzzy
Bill, as I am sure your common sense is telling you:

he is talking major tire structrual failure.

Surely you experienced a high speed blowout, the tire came apart, and whooped the dickens out of your caliper, fender, bumper, and anything else that it came into contact with.

. . right?

Otherwise, I have to think this nincompoop is delusional (and/or hoping you are).

If you simply "broke the belts" the tires would exibit a marked flat spot. The resuting noise would be *rationally* proportunate to that flat spot, and would manafest no other "major" symptoms besides a thumping noise as the wheel turned.

. . that I am aware of.

FWIW.

Old 11-01-2003, 05:22 PM
ctfuzzy
Posting Guru
?? HUH ??

. . now how did I do that . . . ?

oh oh, that crack I made earlier about Exorcism on another thread - that must be it.

Old 11-01-2003, 08:33 PM
theologian
Postmaster
Thank you for the three replies, one would have sufficed...

I inspected the tires, regularly, and after they took 'em off, and put new ones on. I could not see anything suggesting damage, other than a couple of scuffs on the right hand one..

The tire is round all the way, smooth where it should be, and has very little wear on it. BUT..... after a battle with the idiot in the dealership, we took the truck back, and the rumble has stopped, and the unauthorized, and as yet unpaid for work they did on the caliper seems to have stopped the dramatic swerve to port every time the pedal was touched.

I have never seen such a total moron working anywhere. The guy would not let me test the truck to see if they had fixed it, as they told me they had yesterday, and hadn't...... He got belligerent to the extent of bulging veins and trembling muscles.. I kind of wished the idiot had got violent, it is not often I get the chance to sit on folk nowadays.

We are to take the truck back to them on Monday, and work out who pays for it all, us or the warranty company, or them, for doing it without estimate, or authority. I am happy to have the warranty, but it is annoying that I have to go to the idot stealership every time a problem shows.

I think it very probable that the tire was indeed the cause of the rumble (very loud) as replacing them got rid of that problem, but I cannot see how it damaged the caliper - I just reckon it was one of the recalled calipers that didn't get recalled, and they will never admit to that one.

My next question is:

If the tires were the cause of the increasing rumbling noises, and terrible confidence destroying it was too, how do I ensure that the new set, this time Goodyear, do not go the same way as the others.

Theo