40 days, and 40 nights.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 01:17 AM
island eddie
Mountain Pass
Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts
40 days, and 40 nights.....

Well just firmed up our RV spot in Southern California for the holidays....
It's close enough to our children that visiting will be easy.
Heading down last week of November and returning first week on January 2022.
I am hoping I can scoot down from Whidbey Island, Washington on the 5, but will watch the weather to get through the passes without snow....fingers crossed.
I have a F-250 FX4 but I have never pulled in such condition and not sure I want to learn just yet
Coming back, I think we'll just mosey along 101, been decades since I've been on that roadway, bet the worse condition might be back on the island if my luck holds true....
It will mostly be mom, her pups, and myself, it has slides on both sides, so it opens up pretty good, and mom has a nice kitchen and island sink, to feed me, its 26 foot long.
Of course we can sleep 4 of the grandkids who are already talking about staying over, but most of the time we will be at there houses and return back to the trailer to sleep, etc.
Its really going to test us, I imagine all said and done, we'll be over 50 days in her, the most thus far was 2 weeks and honestly I was ready for my bed and hot tub at home.....
But to be around the kids, I think that will make up for a lot of it!
I am thinking 400 miles a day max, period, not going to push myself, but enjoy it all, ain't that what retirement is all about
Here will be our home.

our spot at Yellowstone

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-19-2021, 08:25 AM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Received 272 Likes on 212 Posts
Safe travels!

Jim / crewzer

Old 08-19-2021, 09:12 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,975 Likes on 2,819 Posts
Have fun!

Around here the trailer is winterized by November. Towing in snow sucks. I hope you don't encounter that.

Old 08-19-2021, 11:20 AM
island eddie
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by crewzer
Safe travels!

Jim / crewzer
Thank you Jim, appreciate your support Sir.

Old 08-19-2021, 11:27 AM
island eddie
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by HRTKD
Have fun!

Around here the trailer is winterized by November. Towing in snow sucks. I hope you don't encounter that.
Oh my...that makes for a long winter. We barely get any real hard extended freeze here on the island, I am warmed by the water (salt) a great deal. I just drain the water and pour some AF into the traps, but that's about it, ditto with my boat, a inboard, I just drain the water and pull the hoses and forget about it until spring...biggest issue I have is mold when I open things back up. I do use a small heater in the trailer to help with that...somewhat.
I won't travel outside my comfort level, even if I have to stay at Walmart for a month

Thank you Sir!

Old 08-19-2021, 11:32 AM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Many years ago, my in-laws lived in Oak Harbor, and we lived in SoCal, so you’ll be trekking through some of our old haunts.

I hope we hear from you during your trip!

Safe travels,
Jim / crewzer

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-19-2021, 05:55 PM
meborder
Received 369 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by HRTKD
Have fun!

same here.

if you don’t have your camper winterized by mid October you are playing with fire.
A few years ago we had a trip planned to the badlands (SD) in mid October and had to cancel due to snow. Waiting until November is a repair bill looking for a place to happen.

Old 08-19-2021, 06:39 PM
island eddie
Mountain Pass
I think you guys experience much colder climates than me.

Where I live its even referred as the Banana Belt because of how mild our winters really are. Not to say we don't catch some cold snaps, we do, but not often and very short in duration.
I can get 6-9 inches of snow, and starts to melt the moment the front passes and is gone within hours.
Our normal December temp is 46 high, 36 low, with the records being 61 and 13. January is about the same, with November and February much warmer.

I will keep a sharp eye to weather before I start out, and I need good skies and temps to use the 5, or I will just head to 101 and take my time. No snow, no freeze there, maybe rain and some wind, ditto coming back.
I have time, lots of it.....so might as well use it to my advantage, I don't need to take risk to meet a schedule.

I appreciate the concerns, I really do, but I think maybe you guys are just use to more extreme weather than what we get out here on the Pacific.
I will be in shorts and tees in California, heck....maybe even my speedos, you guys want me to post a picture of me hooking her up in my speedo?

With information so available now on our phones, I can make good decisions based on the latest weather info and forecasts...well my wife can anyways

Old 08-19-2021, 07:48 PM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Exclamation

Originally Posted by island eddie
…you guys want me to post a picture of me hooking her up in my speedo?
NO! 😵

Safe travels,
Jim / crewzer

Old 08-19-2021, 08:32 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,975 Likes on 2,819 Posts
Originally Posted by meborder
same here.

if you don’t have your camper winterized by mid October you are playing with fire.
I hunt at the end of November, beginning of October. Sometimes I'll have to de-winterize the trailer for hunting season and then winterize it right afterward. It got down to -8° F last year. That's a tad bit on the nippy side.