Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I installed the Accufab SCTB96-98, WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 12:35 AM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by kostkafex
.... I kept the stock throttle return spring in addition to the Accufab's built-in spring, which might be too much as initial pedal effort is a bit higher than stock. ....
It's probably a good idea to keep both springs so there is a backup.
The Accufab linkage is rotated compared to the stock connection points, probably because it is setup for a Mustang.
The spring connection point is about an inch father forward.
I used a 1" diameter split key ring to connect the spring and the pedal tension feels just like the stock setup.

Old 08-30-2022, 05:47 AM
JAck19
Laughing Gas

Received 160 Likes on 105 Posts

Ugh this text editor....

Old 08-30-2022, 10:44 AM
MasterX
Must Go Faster!!!!!
Received 340 Likes on 260 Posts
I also kept both springs, and i adjusted to the stiffer pedal just fine after a few days, and like @R&T Babich said, better to have a backup spring, however i did not use a key ring or anything, i just stretched the spring to it and re-attached it, and mine was not rotated wrong, just a little further forwards.

@kostkafex

Old 08-30-2022, 10:51 AM
MasterX
Must Go Faster!!!!!
Originally Posted by kostkafex
Installed the Accufab yesterday. Took some pics comparing stock to the Accufab, as well as the intake opening, and showing that the stock TB cover fits and basically hides the Accufab entirely. Stealth mode! I had to add 3 large zip ties on the cable under the dash to take up the slack. The throttle response is greatly increased, kinda feels like I've got some sort of sport mode enabled. Freeway on-ramps are more comfortable as is pulling grades. I kept the stock throttle return spring in addition to the Accufab's built-in spring, which might be too much as initial pedal effort is a bit higher than stock. I'll disconnect that spring and report back. Worth it? YES.
I also felt the definite improvement on the highway onramps, and also going uphill the engine seems a lot more eager to challenge the hills, and if you open it up all the way, the power curve seems to pick up a lot quicker thanks to the wide mouth, but i swear it seems to pull harder too, than it ever did with the stock throttle body, even when the stock TB was wide open.

And someone will probably say its a seat of the pants thing, but here is an added gem, the stock TB had a very non-aerodynamic center divider, so even if the stock TB could flow enough, (which i believe it doesn't), the Accufab is also a much better, nearly perfect match to the intake plenum, and without the center divider, it has far less intake turbulence, and far less resistance.

So tell me again someone, how the larger throttle body, with massively less air resistance, and thus massively less turbulence, can't make the truck breath better, because with all these people stacking up who like the improvement, it just seems like the sound of denial is fading away, and the people who like it are getting louder and more plentiful.

Old 09-01-2022, 03:47 PM
kostkafex
Cross-Country
Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by MasterX
I also kept both springs, and i adjusted to the stiffer pedal just fine after a few days, and like @R&T Babich said, better to have a backup spring, however i did not use a key ring or anything, i just stretched the spring to it and re-attached it, and mine was not rotated wrong, just a little further forwards.
I guess I'll get in there and mess with the spring.

As an aside, I think it's funny we have the backup spring at all, while my 88 Mustang (also with an Accufab TB) never had a backup spring, and clearly, the electronic throttle body versions don't have a backup spring either.

I'll further echo your thoughts @MasterX, looking at the back of the factory TB you even get a clean imprint of the intake inlet, and it certainly looks like the Accufab opening matches it. Its a huge waste of potential with the stock TB. Matching the TB to the intake is a basic hop-up for any Mustang, not sure why people are acting like doubting Thomases with the Excursion. The motor doesn't care what it's in! I have seen the light!

Last edited by kostkafex; 09-01-2022 at 03:51 PM. Reason: repent, heathens, for the air is good when you install a larger TB
Old 09-22-2022, 07:36 AM
CRB357
Mountain Pass
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Very intrigued with this mod. Thanks for the effort put into to bringing this to light. I read the first 1/3 of the thread and the last 1/3 and didn't really see any post TB install MPG numbers.

So what is the new TB doing to the overall MPG? I don't tow with my Ex. It is mostly a travel vehicle and I use it to commute to work 40 mile round trip at 70mph. Wondering how big a hit the MPG will take if I do this.

Old 09-22-2022, 08:18 AM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by CRB357
.... So what is the new TB doing to the overall MPG? .... Wondering how big a hit the MPG will take if I do this.
We're halfway thru a trip from southern Calif to Colorado and back.
So far it seems there is little change to overall MPG.
I like the throttle response, it seems to be downshifting less for small grades and I can get it to downshift more easily when I want it to.

The following 4 users liked this post by R&T Babich:
Old 09-22-2022, 12:29 PM
MasterX
Must Go Faster!!!!!
Originally Posted by CRB357
Very intrigued with this mod. Thanks for the effort put into to bringing this to light. I read the first 1/3 of the thread and the last 1/3 and didn't really see any post TB install MPG numbers.

So what is the new TB doing to the overall MPG? I don't tow with my Ex. It is mostly a travel vehicle and I use it to commute to work 40 mile round trip at 70mph. Wondering how big a hit the MPG will take if I do this.
I'm actually in California right now and I just drove mine from Southern Arizona to here I'm not really seeing any change in MPG, however it all depends on how you're driving like always and the improvement in throttle response and Hill pulling and towing was so worth it I honestly couldn't care if I did lose one MPG but I haven't seen that I've even lost that.

The throttle body however does make the truck a lot more fun to drive so if you are hot rodding it you will obviously use more fuel.

The following 2 users liked this post by MasterX:
Old 09-22-2022, 02:47 PM
JAck19
Laughing Gas

The throttle body however does make the truck a lot more fun to drive so if you are hot rodding it you will obviously use more fuel.
Put me in this category for sure.

Best I can tell, my mileage isn't much different, and I've definitely been in it more to make that CAI howl. I can't get enough of it.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-22-2022, 02:50 PM
MasterX
Must Go Faster!!!!!
Originally Posted by JAck19
Put me in this category for sure.

Best I can tell, my mileage isn't much different, and I've definitely been in it more to make that CAI howl. I can't get enough of it.
The accufab throttle body definitely makes that V10 power addictive to drive. It drives like a V10 truck should have from the factory.

Old 09-22-2022, 03:15 PM
JAck19
Laughing Gas

The accufab throttle body definitely makes that V10 power addictive to drive. It drives like a V10 truck should have from the factory.
Agreed. I just wish there were some cam and head options. I miss lope.

Old 09-22-2022, 03:42 PM
kostkafex
Cross-Country
Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts
Chiming in on the MPG, it's been almost a month with the Accufab. No noticeable MPG changes as tracked in Fuelly. In fact, it almost seems better to me based on my last few fill-ups, but I'll wait for more data. It certainly feels like the truck gets to speed and maintains speed easier, which IMHO would correlate with MPG being better (energy expended over time to get to a given speed is lower?). But, to the same point as many in this thread, I am on the pedal so much more often because the truck is that much better of a driving experience. This mod is 100% a MUST-DO for any V10 Excursion, IMHO.

Old 09-25-2022, 10:37 PM
MasterX
Must Go Faster!!!!!
So I just got back a few hours ago from a trip to California, We went to Anaheim for a week.

We left from the Grand Californian Hotel at 7 AM, jumped on the nearest freeway and blasted home, we stopped twice for fuel, once 30 minutes into the trip because we only had 1/4 tank when we left, stop took about 15 minutes, and i got it up to 3/4 rather than full because california fuel prices....

We stopped again at the Pilot station in New Hope Arizona 85348, and put in another $140, took about 20 minutes, and then blasted off again.

We arrived home at 12:10 PM at zip 85139 in Arizona, you do the math for speed, but its my fastest trip yet, and I'm still on 3.73 gears while pulling them long long hills near Palm Desert, and then between there and the border.

This motor build, and the Accufab, yeah baby!!!!!

Old 10-10-2022, 11:38 PM
MasterX
Must Go Faster!!!!!
With all the response of the SCTB96-98 i can actually feel a significant different between air filters.

We had a lot of dust storms here and the filter was kinda dirty, so i swapped in my fresh K&N of which i have 2, so that when one gets dirty i can swap in the other, and not have to wash and wait for the filter to dry, anyhow i waited and did not swap the filter until the last minute since i would be doing so many miles to and from California, driving the truck home from getting the last of our supplys, swapped the filter, loaded everyone up and left, and immediately felt the change in response between the dusty dirty K&N and the clean one, not sure i would have as much with the older TB on there.

Old 10-12-2022, 01:02 PM
Burleycarpet
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was there ever a before and after Dyno done? This mod looks worth it just for the “feel” alone.

Quick Reply: So I installed the Accufab SCTB96-98, WOW!